U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 07:13 PM

942 posts, read 618,075 times

Advertisements

The main purpose is video recording, in case of accident. I know it is rare case, maybe less than 3 times throughout the whole life. But with such an app, it gives me some comfort of mind.

Below are the things I want to consider, from most important to less important.

#1: Free app. Since it is very rare case, I prefer not to pay a penny.

#2: Convenient. Ideally, every time I start using Google Map, the dash cam app will automatically start. I use Google Map whenever I drive, mostly for knowing the traffic and Google Map recommends the best route. I don't prefer to manually open two apps (Google Map and Dash Cam app) every time when I drive, I could easily forget to open Dash Cam. Anyway, opening two apps is not convenient.

#3: Somehow it can automatically upload videos to Google Drive or Youtube account, then deleting video from mobile phone.

#1 and #2 are quite important factors for me, if an app cannot meet both conditions, I don't think I want to use it. #1 should be easily met, but it seems it is difficult to find an app meeting #2 condition. #3 is less important, but at least the app can wipe out old video from mobile phone, therefore I don't need to regularly delete video, which causes inconvenience to me.

By the way, why Google Map does not create the feature for recording video?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
Not likely to find a "free" application like you mention, such applications would be complex to design and maintain. If someone in this forum knows of one, I am sure they will make a suggestion.

Does your car have an installed dash cam already ? If not, you will have to mount your phone to your car dashboard securely to be effective.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:16 PM

7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
1) I'm not aware of any good free ones without ads, but why not just download some from Google Play and try them out?

2) Possible but likely only with a Pro paid account.

3) I've seen this feature with paid Pro accounts

Note that if you're using this continuously you'll want to use a MicroSD card that's rated for continuous recording and have footage saved there. It's also likely to heat up your phone quite a bit. Lastly the field of view (i.e. FOV) is going to be less on a phone than a dash cam.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:38 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
I think markjames68 meant to say "Postpaid" instead of "Pro paid". No such thing as a "Pro paid" account.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 AM

7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I think markjames68 meant to say "Postpaid" instead of "Pro paid". No such thing as a "Pro paid" account.
No, professional / paid account or app. Apologies if it wasn’t clear.

Some of the apps I’ve seen have a free tier and then a professional version that is either a one-off payment or annual subscription.

Whether a data plan is pre- or post-paid really shouldn’t matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones