U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 AM

515 posts, read 657,228 times

Advertisements

I have an 12 y.o. Nokia flip phone, with a T-Mobile "Legacy" plan, where I can just buy minutes & they last for 3 mo., or a year. F.I., I just paid $10 for 30 min. that will last for up to a year. (I mainly use my land line for phone calls, & the cell phone kind of rarely like when I'm traveling). I also like their customer service.

Wondering--if I buy a refurb. iphone 8 for example, could I install my T-Mobile Sim card, & keep the same phone # & T-Mobile plan? I suppose I'd need to buy a T-Mobile phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 01:08 PM

7,141 posts, read 3,904,178 times
The biggest question is going to be the size of the SIM. There are 3 - standard, micro and nano. iPhones for the last few years use nano while your 12 year old flip phone either uses standard or micro I imagine. I don't think you'll be able to simply remove it and pop it into a new phone.

You don't need to buy a T-Mobile phone, you can buy any other one as long as it's unlocked.

You might want to call or visit a T-Mobile store. I'd think they could transfer your account details to a new SIM for a nominal fee.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 AM

5,846 posts, read 6,853,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The biggest question is going to be the size of the SIM. There are 3 - standard, micro and nano. iPhones for the last few years use nano while your 12 year old flip phone either uses standard or micro I imagine. I don't think you'll be able to simply remove it and pop it into a new phone.

You don't need to buy a T-Mobile phone, you can buy any other one as long as it's unlocked.

You might want to call or visit a T-Mobile store. I'd think they could transfer your account details to a new SIM for a nominal fee.

He could get a SIM card cutter for a few bucks from Amazon. But then again, a 12 year old Nokia Flip Phone may have a non-removable SIM, so he'd have to go to a T-mobile store. I'd also bet that they'd tell him they don't have that "old grandfathered paygo plan" anymore and try to sell him something more expensive.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
He could get a SIM card cutter for a few bucks from Amazon. But then again, a 12 year old Nokia Flip Phone may have a non-removable SIM, so he'd have to go to a T-mobile store. I'd also bet that they'd tell him they don't have that "old grandfathered paygo plan" anymore and try to sell him something more expensive.
They’ll try and up sell but I think they would transfer the existing plan to a new SIM if he went to a store.

The cutters work but if you don’t get it right you have a dead SIM. Plus I’d think you would want an updated one.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM

14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
No.

iPhones use nano sim cards. Those weren't around 12 years ago. Cutters work, sort of. Not so well with nano. Full-sized, mini, and micro were all the same thickness. Nano is not. It's thinner and it won't sit properly. Not particularly likely, but if you force the round peg into the square hole, sometimes you break something. More often it just doesn't contact properly and causes issues. Just pay the $10 for a new SIM card. They probably have some fee for activation as mentioned, $20-30 probably.

Specific to iPhone 8, any unlocked phone will work. That's not always exactly the case. AT&T/T-Mobile use LTE, Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. They all use GSM which traditionally voice is done over GSM. That's phasing out though. Most calls on T-Mobile are over LTE nowadays rather than GSM and you'll generally get better reception if you have GSM + LTE than GSM alone. Other Verizon/Sprint phones don't have LTE so would be GSM only, similar to a 12-year-old Nokia flip phone. They'd still work, just no VoLTE.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-30-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
They’ll try and up sell but I think they would transfer the existing plan to a new SIM if he went to a store.
Yep. Contrary to common myths, not all wireless carriers stores employee *******s out to wring every penny out of you. Also agree with previous poster that the Nokia probably does not have a removable SIM.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep. Contrary to common myths, not all wireless carriers stores employee *******s out to wring every penny out of you. Also agree with previous poster that the Nokia probably does not have a removable SIM.
My wife had her iPhone XS Max stolen, so I got her a "new" one via Swappa. Took it to the local T-Mobile store and they didn't even charge me for the new SIM.

On the other hand, at a different store where I lived previously the employees were pretty useless when I changed over a bunch of lines to T-Mobile from AT&T. Lots of problems and calls to customer service to sort it out as well as the charges on the bill.

Your mileage may vary unfortunately, but OP's situation is pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or