U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 06:40 PM

315 posts, read 176,840 times

Advertisements

I use a LG Tracphone very simple and basic. I bought a Tracfone smartphone and I had so much trouble using it, even making a call, with a rep on the phone guiding me. They charge you by the minute for setting it up. Well, I got so frustrated after 2 hours that the rep hung up on me and I had to start over again. I told them to transfer my current 400 minutes back to the old phone and eventually I will buy another one. I got the cheapest model but he said that the more expensive phones are basically the same. So now I have no cell phone--I never did get a new number. I talked to 5 employees and it is still unsettled. From central America I think. I still use my trustworthy landline.

every time I buy something electronic there's problems. Nothing can go easy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM

10,163 posts, read 10,484,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I received the information that I sought, carry on.
I tried the Verizon Prepaid chat and they said the formal date to retire old 3G phones is still in flux.

The three 4G lowest priced flip phones with VoLTE (24 Monthly payments) are:
  1. KAZUNA eTalk $3.33/mo
  2. Alcatel GO FLIP™V $4.16/mo
  3. Reliance Communications Orbic Journey™ V $4.16/mo

The implication was that I could keep my old plans that are no longer offered. The cheapest Single Device Plan is : Unlimited Talk & Text, plus 500MB of data for $30/mo. Plus taxes and fees.

I have one phone on $5 /month 20 minutes and another for $15/month for 300 minutes. Cell phones are only used for emergency purposes.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 AM

8,675 posts, read 9,448,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I use a LG Tracphone very simple and basic. I bought a Tracfone smartphone and I had so much trouble using it, even making a call, with a rep on the phone guiding me. They charge you by the minute for setting it up. Well, I got so frustrated after 2 hours that the rep hung up on me and I had to start over again. I told them to transfer my current 400 minutes back to the old phone and eventually I will buy another one. I got the cheapest model but he said that the more expensive phones are basically the same. So now I have no cell phone--I never did get a new number. I talked to 5 employees and it is still unsettled. From central America I think. I still use my trustworthy landline.

every time I buy something electronic there's problems. Nothing can go easy for me.
Sorry for the frustration, but your trusty landline will be of little use if you need to call AAA when your car has issues 50 miles from home. And no about there being little difference between a cheap phone and a more expensive model. Call quality can be crap on a cheap phone.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
ICell phones are only used for emergency purposes.
We don’t use that route. We dropped our landline and only use cell phones. Made life easier and eliminated “phone tag”. If I’m waiting for an important call I can be anywhere, not sitting at home for hours

A phone number is a phone number. Friends and family can easily reach me. No missed calls. My mechanic can reach me during business hours,thus a repair takes hours, not days if I’m not at home, I could go on.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 AM

13,397 posts, read 3,661,505 times
Quote:
I tried the Verizon Prepaid chat and they said the formal date to retire old 3G phones is still in flux.

The three 4G lowest priced flip phones with VoLTE (24 Monthly payments) are:
  1. KAZUNA eTalk $3.33/mo
  2. Alcatel GO FLIP™V $4.16/mo
  3. Reliance Communications Orbic Journey™ V $4.16/mo

The implication was that I could keep my old plans that are no longer offered. The cheapest Single Device Plan is : Unlimited Talk & Text, plus 500MB of data for $30/mo. Plus taxes and fees.

I have one phone on $5 /month 20 minutes and another for $15/month for 300 minutes. Cell phones are only used for emergency purposes.
^^^^^ The above is why I suggested checking multiple avenues....calling and visiting.

Interactions (personal...or possibly with some bot if what you mention above (Verizon Prepaid chat) is a text service, are judged for their effectiveness (the conversion to more revenue), so there is a bias to obfuscate to get someone to try to convert away from the lower revenue option earlier.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...faqs/#payments

^^^^^ The above link is the current information on the Verizon wireless site.

The above page originally displayed as I was logged in (as me), but I can tell by the way it is worded that the page wasn't being customized for me in real time.

Sure enough, after logging out, I was still able to get the page to display/pull up, and the link above is the result of that (so the Before/After month and day happening to be November 6th is a coincidence).

As you can see, If a customer has had their plan since before November 6th, 2018 then the payments apply just as I explained in my previous post, adding 365 days of service for a payment of $100 or more.

Again, the other reason I suggested to the OP that she check through multiple avenues is that Tracfone is a Verizon (among others) MVNO. It isn't Verizon itself, so Tracfone may apply the rules from my link above differently than Verizon itself does.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:57 AM

10,163 posts, read 10,484,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We don’t use that route. We dropped our landline and only use cell phones. Made life easier and eliminated “phone tag”. If I’m waiting for an important call I can be anywhere, not sitting at home for hours
My parents are in their mid-80s and they refuse to drop the land line. Fortunately the VOIP lines through the cable company are not very expensive ($13-$26).

I do have one friend in her mid-60s that has a cell phone for ~$50 a month, but she won't stop her plain old telephone service for over $90 a month.

I realize that some people have had a cell number and land line number for decades and can't part with either one. But you can transfer your land line to Google Voice and forward your calls to your cell line for free.

If you don't trust a free service, Number Barn will do the same thing for a fee.
$6/mo per number 300 MINUTES Call forwarding to the US or Canada Port in fee $5 per number
$19/mo per number UNLIMITED Call forwarding to the US or Canada Port in fee $5 per number

Old 11-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
My parents are in their mid-80s and they refuse to drop the land line. Fortunately the VOIP lines through the cable company are not very expensive (

I realize that some people have had a cell number and land line number for decades and can't part with either one. But you can transfer your land line to Google Voice and forward your calls to your cell line for free.
You might be interested to know that when we dropped our land line I ported that number to my iPhone. So our landline number became my cell phone number. The landline number was more important than the cell number for friends and business. Did it about six years ago when I switched to Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones