U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 07:03 PM

13,613 posts, read 6,733,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
How does it compare to the Samsung Galaxy Fold?
The Galaxy Fold has a seamless screen instead of 2, but is shaped more like a phone that folds width wise than 2 small tablet screens hinged together. The Fold looks like it would work better as a phone while the Duo better as a productivity device.

I only spent a few minutes with the Fold because I would be worried about the durability of the screen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 07:04 PM

5,475 posts, read 1,707,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The Galaxy Fold has a seamless screen instead of 2, but is shaped more like a phone that folds width wise than 2 small tablet screens hinged together.

I only spent a few minutes with the Fold because I would be worried about the durability of the screen.
Got it. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:59 PM

Saw on a Reddit thread that CDW offers commercial/demo units for sale for $738 for the 128GB version. I just placed an order for my company to try out, so if it ships and isn’t canceled I’ll report back.

At this price it’s worth playing with. I could still get $400 for my loaded Note 9 if I wanted to.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:27 AM

36,942 posts, read 64,295,450 times
Quote:
Saw on a Reddit thread that CDW offers commercial/demo units for sale for $738 for the 128GB version. I just placed an order for my company to try out, so if it ships and isn’t canceled I’ll report back.

At this price it’s worth playing with. I could still get $400 for my loaded Note 9 if I wanted to.
That's a good opportunity to check it out.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That's a good opportunity to check it out.
They’re back ordered and supposedly they are only priced that way if you buy a whole bunch but some have been successful.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
They’re back ordered and supposedly they are only priced that way if you buy a whole bunch but some have been successful.
A follow up on this - I found a place where I could get it for $750 for the 256GB model which is more reasonable. Also was able to add MS Complete for $200 to give me 2 years of warranty including breakage.

Still figuring it out but so far so good.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:10 AM

18,054 posts, read 5,054,958 times
Quote:
The Galaxy Fold has a seamless screen instead of 2, but is shaped more like a phone that folds width wise than 2 small tablet screens hinged together. The Fold looks like it would work better as a phone while the Duo better as a productivity device.

I only spent a few minutes with the Fold because I would be worried about the durability of the screen same here
Same here.

To backtrack, I’ve been looking at the LG V series ever since the Quad DAC came out on the V20.

From the V20 through the V60 and the G6 through the G8x, all of the Quad DACs are ESS Sabre Quad DACs, but there are different model numbers (with sometimes different ESS model numbers in the same model phone in different world markets), and different companies doing the tuning of the Quad DACs. Some Asia based review sites have long comment threads (the reviews and the threads are in English) where the passionate posters really get into the weeds discussing each Quad DAC variation, including different types of music and presentation and which variation is best for each. Over the years I came to the conclusion that eventually I’ll get three of them, the V20, the V30, and one of the Meridian tuned models (the G8x being the one that is still available new). The V20 and V30 would have to be off of eBay, Craigslist, Swappa, etc and I wouldn’t care if I used them as phones or not (goal...to put a 1TB minimum micro SD card in it and build my Apple Music library to the max 100,000 selections and download those to the SD card to be able to listen to the library offline)

My iPad Pro has an AT&T plan that is the deal that it is because you ‘manage’ it online and via the designated toll free number, rather that in store/or ‘anywhere’. The card I was billing that to had to have the account number changed by the bank. The toll free number reps told me I had to update this in a store, and several AT&T factory store told me I had to have the toll free number people take care of it. Constant buck passing.

I got frustrated and left it alone for a couple of months. I then (late 2019) walked into a third party authorized retailer. I really lucked out. One quick explanation and the rep knew exactly what I was talking about and had a previous customer with the same issue. Within a half hour the LTE was up and running again on my iPad with the new billing information. That third party retailer had The G8x with the dual screen and I played around with it and liked it. It was on sale, IIRC, for $899 with the Dual Screen case and $699 without the case (without the second screen)

Around the time that you posted this post I was following the ‘posted LG inventory’ on Craigslist for a store in the NE burbs of Atlanta. They had a used Dual Screen G8x for $350. That prompted me to wonder if the price had come down on this phone as new. I checked, and...wow. LG has three partners that they sell the unlocked version to...Best Buy, Amazon, and B&H Photo. Amazon and B&H had it at $499.99, and Best Buy had it on sale for $449.99. I was in Savannah (or headed there) at the time, and the Savannah store had a few. On 12/2, after the sun went down and I had finished taking photos, I bought one online that I could pick up that day. I actually paid less than $440 re getting a few bucks off re my ‘Best Buy Rewards’. A day or two before this purchase, the price on LG’s own site was $949, but on the 4th, two days after I had made the purchase, they had lowered that to the $499.99 Amazon and B&H we’re charging.

There was a little lag in pulling it from where they had it stored so, while I was waiting, I looked at both the Fold and the Duo. I agree with your assessment of the Fold.

The Duo is too ‘short and wide’ (for lack of a better way to describe it) for my preference, and I wonder about the durability of the hinges (but it sounds at though you have that angle covered with the warranty you obtained ).

I waited a couple of weeks before going into the settings to set my preferences. I am using it as a phone, but on my non data plan AT&T $2 per day plan. I am enjoying surfing on wi-fi. I have Chrome set up with Duck Duck Go. I avoid signing up with Google, but that isn’t an issue because Oreo, Pie, and 10 all allow apps to be installed without registering/signing up with Google Play.

I was able to download the Korean web browser Whale, which allows one webpage to cover/display over both screens, with scrolling up and down (unless you are in the middle of playing a YouTube video). The whole setup feels very sturdy to me, and I actually like the ‘division’ that the case creates. IME, the size is great. I really like it. One of my somewhat recent purchases is Target’s family travel wallet. It swallows up this new LG in the Dual Screen case, and my new 2020 iPhone SE (my Verizon line is on that phone), and all the accessories I need for each, plus some credit cards, DL, etc. To me, it’s the Swiss Army knife of travel wallets. It fits perfectly into one of the outside pockets of my convertible computer bag/backpack.

Last edited by RMESMH; 12-29-2020 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Added one sentence

Old 01-03-2021, 04:40 AM

18,054 posts, read 5,054,958 times
Title of the article.....

Foldable iPhone: When Will Apple Join the Trend?

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/foldable-iphone/

Old 01-03-2021, 04:58 PM

I have my first handy use case - outlook on one screen and Skype (for messaging) on the other. Ironically still haven’t made any calls on it.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:26 AM

7,161 posts, read 4,498,167 times
wish it had windows mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones