Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 07:33 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times

Advertisements

LINK

A timely article. No longer is the issue simply "is the manufacturer of my smartphone trying to spy on me..." It's "is the manufacturer of my smartphone trying to kill me..."

The short version:

Sony (Japan), LG (South Korea), Samsung (South Korea), and ASUS (Taiwan) are not made in China.

Most of the rest are (Apple's iPhone, Google's Pixel, Motorola (which is now Chinese owned and operated)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Samsung makes a lot in Vietnam...

“Most of Samsung’s global supply, including for markets like North America and Europe, comes from Vietnam.”

https://www.sammobile.com/where-are-samsung-phones-made

Old 04-20-2020, 09:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
OnePlus is Chinese too.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:02 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
The short version:

Sony (Japan), LG (South Korea), Samsung (South Korea), and ASUS (Taiwan) are not made in China.
This is incredibly misleading. The phones aren't assembled in China, but a lot of their internal parts are.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
It's not at all misleading.

It's going to take some time to move the manufacturing of components away from China. Until that happens, the more value add that we can move away from China the better.

In the meantime, you can either choose not to patronize Chinese manufacturers or you can double down on the errors that brought the world to this juncture.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:31 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
It's not at all misleading.

It's going to take some time to move the manufacturing of components away from China. Until that happens, the more value add that we can move away from China the better.

In the meantime, you can either choose not to patronize Chinese manufacturers or you can double down on the errors that brought the world to this juncture.
It's absolutely misleading. It implies that purchasing these phones does not contribute to China's economy. That's just not true. A good portion of these phones are manufactured in China.

I don't think there will be a push to move electronic manufacturing away from China with the exception of medical and other essential devices.

The reality is that China is very good at manufacturing electronics -- especially cell phones. The iPhone, Pixel, and many other phones have improved in quality over the past few years.

The world is not in a bad place because an iPhone is manufactured in China.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:40 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Misleading or not COVID 19 will have zero impact on my decision to buy my next phone, i could not care less about what other people think the Chinese government has or hasn't done

Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
LINK

A timely article. No longer is the issue simply "is the manufacturer of my smartphone trying to spy on me..." It's "is the manufacturer of my smartphone trying to kill me..."

The short version:

Most of the rest are (Apple's iPhone, Google's Pixel, Motorola (which is now Chinese owned and operated)).
i know someone from taipei. she refers to herself as chinese.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:20 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,227,253 times
I'd be willing to pay more for a non-Chinese phone at my next upgrade.

Heck, I'd be willing to pay more for everything I buy that is non-Chinese going forward.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Asus and Foxconn, both headquartered in Taiwan have plants in mainland China (as well as other countries). Hard to find a cell phone that does not have parts (in fact a lot of parts) made in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones