Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 05:58 PM

255 posts, read 693,340 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my ancient LG5 phone.

It was working fine til today. Now, if I try to swipe left or right on the lock screen, it doesn't want to move. Eventually it will. If I want to put in my four pin numbers to unlock it, same behavior. I have to hit the 7 about 4 times, then the 8 another four times, etc. Once in, if I want to scroll down or up, same basic result. Opening an app is hit or miss. An app may open right away or I might have to click on it three or four times.

I have restarted the phone a few times. I went to storage and did some deleting. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 06:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,488,301 times
Idea? Time to get a new phone

Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 AM

Right. I know these things are built for obsolescence, but was hoping there was at least one thing I could try.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:42 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,524,318 times
Phones last longer today then they ever have. The very nature of the device causes obsolescence. Having said that, if you're talking about the G5... yea that's like 7 years old. It's time.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM

Yes.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,412,608 times
It's the OS that slows down and may be outdated eventually. As for the hardware, the main thing is the battery that will give out but you can get that replaced or even do it yourself. You could bring it back to life in a sense by doing a factory reset. Make sure you have access to your google account and backup your personal data before you do that. You can check that from settings.

Latest OS for the LG G5 is Android 8 Oreo which new enough imo. You can update that yourself.

There are a bunch of cleaning apps you could try. Give ccleaner a try, it may help you.

They may be built for obselescence but it's still sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't give up that easy.

LG G5 is from 2016. I use the LG V20 also from 2016 and I prefer that over some of the new ones. I especially like the replaceable battery.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:21 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,350,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my ancient LG5 phone.

It was working fine til today. Now, if I try to swipe left or right on the lock screen, it doesn't want to move. Eventually it will. If I want to put in my four pin numbers to unlock it, same behavior. I have to hit the 7 about 4 times, then the 8 another four times, etc. Once in, if I want to scroll down or up, same basic result. Opening an app is hit or miss. An app may open right away or I might have to click on it three or four times.

I have restarted the phone a few times. I went to storage and did some deleting. Any ideas?

Thanks.
It sounds like a bad digitizer. It can be replaced but on such an old phone it probably isn't worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones