Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 10:59 AM

388 posts, read 320,725 times

Advertisements

Musicolet

When a specific song is selected for play, it will sometimes chop off the first second or two at the beginning of the MP3 track losing the first few notes of the musical composition. Many MP3 tracks of mine don't have a leader or considerable length of blank space at the beginning. There seems to be some latency when the tracks are started for playback, a lag in the sound. This only occurs when one song is selected manually for playback as from the search function or from ta playlist. However, when tracks are automatically playing sequentially from a playlist, the beginnings of the successive tracks are not cut off.

Bluetooth headphone with Android phone, music listening

In my neighborhood there are overhead power lines. When I take a walk for exercise, sometimes there is interference with music play, songs will intermittently cut out.

Bluetooth is subject to interference which can degrade the pleasure of mobile music listening. Having a portion of a song cut off at the beginning also degrades music listening.

Back in the 1980's, there were Sony Walkman cassette players with headphones hardwired to them. There was no interference from nearby power lines and when you started the cassette tape at the beginning, there was a long tape leader and no part of any song was cut off at playback. My SanDisk sport clip MP3 hardwired to a headphone never cuts out a portion of a song at the beginning but it does have issues with the shuffle mode. It might play about ten songs from a 700-song playlist then repeat those same 10 songs again without first exhausting the entire playlist.

This 21st century digital audio file technology has some flaws in it still. It's the price we pay to be able to conveniently pack an entire home music library along on the go.

Another thing that makes me mad, is the lack of "full logic" in digital audio music player software technology. I might play a playlist titled 1970's and in the middle of that playlist, I might want to switch to another playlist titled "Classical Music". When I switch back to the "1970's" playlist again I have to start over from the beginning because the software doesn't smartly bookmark the playlist to auto-resume from where it was last left off.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 06-28-2020 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:05 AM

6,391 posts, read 10,184,412 times
Try a different application. I am happy with Pandora.

If you want to use your current application, go to the developer internet site for support. They may have some troubleshooting techniques.

Best wishes.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,338,960 times
Never heard of Musicolet, but yeah, different app might be a good solution there. Google Play Music works fine for me, although it will go away at some point soon.

I haven't had those issues with Bluetooth walking under power lines. Might be bad headphones, tough to say. But if Bluetooth is an issue, just use hard-wired headphones like the old days. If your phone doesn't have a headphone jack, adapters are commonly available.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Try a different application. I am happy with Pandora.

If you want to use your current application, go to the developer internet site for support. They may have some troubleshooting techniques.

Best wishes.

Does Pandora play home music libraries/playlists of those?

Does any music player app have the wished-for "bookmarking" feature for resuming a playlist when the playlist is returned to after a departure in the middle of it? I need an app to play my own personal music collection, not merely downstream songs from a cloud.

It is not only my bluetooth headphone that cuts out, my bicycle bluetooth speaker cuts out sometimes to in my neighborhood.
It's not my Moto E4 phone either because my bike speaker has been known by me to get interference with my SanDisk player and a Bluetooth transmitter
plugged into its 3.5 mm headphone jack sending music to the bike speaker as well. I haven't yet noticed any interference with the phone connected
to the bike speaker by Bluetooth pedalling around. I'm wondering if interference is coon in cars with Bluetooth connections to the car's in-dash
head unit. I have yet to drive or own a vehicle with Bluetooth on board. My old Toyota Corolla DX is a '95 with a factory radio/cassette radio so I
have to use an FM transmitter from my music player to the stock radio but that gets nasty power line interference.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 06-28-2020 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Never heard of Musicolet, but yeah, different app might be a good solution there. Google Play Music works fine for me, although it will go away at some point soon.

I haven't had those issues with Bluetooth walking under power lines. Might be bad headphones, tough to say. But if Bluetooth is an issue, just use hard-wired headphones like the old days. If your phone doesn't have a headphone jack, adapters are commonly available.
I've tried Google Play Music (the free version) and it has few shortcomings:

1. when a single song is selected off a playlist or an album, it will play that song then automatically go on to another song in that playlist or album and play that: there is no option to select a single song off a playlist or album and immediately stop playing music at the completion of that song, it does have shuffle, repeat and repeat same song, however....I just can't play a song once, and only once, and stop playback of music altogether automatically

2. there's no custom equalizer

3. there is no way to navigate to music folders that are NOT playlists

It's missing some of the advanced features of Musicolet but at least it doesn't seem to cut off the beginnings of tracks.

Here is Musicolet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...colet&hl=en_US

Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 PM

8,844 posts, read 11,633,315 times
I tried a few and picked Musicolet. Love love it. I am glad there is another user here. I have Foldplay as a backup app.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I tried a few and picked Musicolet. Love love it. I am glad there is another user here. I have Foldplay as a backup app.
I don't think the problem with track beginning cutoffs is the fault of Musicolet now.

This happens also on Google Music Play too!

For instance, I have one particular track in my Bach/E Power Biggs organ/pedal harpsichord playlist, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Movement 1 that cuts off the first two organ notes when the track is selected for playback. This track was a rip from a CD by Sony/Columbia records and basically there are no leaders (blank spaces) on the tracks at the beginning and at the end of each and every MP3 track. This is the reason I have 3 or 5 second spacers between each and every music track in this particular playlist so playback of the playlist sounds neat: musical movements aren't run together unceremoniously when the playlist is played back for start to finish. The shorter spacers are between movements of the same Bach suite and the longer spacers are between suites on the playlist to make playback sound more elegant. Classical music is more formal than pop music and needs to be presented in a more formal fashion. This playlist can't be shuffled either since each movement track of a concerto, trio sonata, etc. is in logical playback sequence. The pop playlists I have can be informally shuffled.

These 3 to 5 second spacers are essentially MP3 files with dead silence on them. Most MP3 tracks I own have some degree of spacer built into the beginning of the track, two to five seconds so no notes are skipped when song starts as Android music playback technology seems to have some latency. It might even be an issue with Android or the Motorola phone itself. My standalone SanDisk MP3 player never skips any notes when this particular Bach organ work track is selected for playback.

It seems as standalone MP3 playback devices and their proprietary onboard firmware handle music playback in a superior fashion.

As a workaround, I can simply select the 5-second spacer off the Bach playlist that precedes the track I want to play to avoid any cutoff at the beginning of the music track that immediately follows the spacer.

I sometimes use the Search feature to locate a specific song from the library and select it for playback. It seems as the "leaderless" tracks might sometimes skip at the beginning if I press the touchscreen to hard to play the song.

Touching the song title on the touchscreen gently seems to often help avoid any latency in playback.

I do like Musicolet's "play song once and stop" feature.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:50 PM

8,844 posts, read 11,633,315 times
I have tried 4 different brands of bluetooth earphones and 3 pairs would skip the first word or two of GPS voice navigation. I kept the one that did not skip. I would recommend people to check their bluetooth earphones using google map voice.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have tried 4 different brands of bluetooth earphones and 3 pairs would skip the first word or two of GPS voice navigation. I kept the one that did not skip. I would recommend people to check their bluetooth earphones using google map voice.
Well, I just tried my Bluetooth bicycle water cage speaker. No latency on playback for track whatsoever. The first two notes on Bach organ are heard each and every time. I tried my hardwired headphones to my Moto phone too. No latency with hardwired headphones. My Moto E4 does have a headset jack.

So it's those damn Bluetooth headphones I bought from amazon.com not too long ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I returns them?

Oops, it's too late!!

My return window closed on June 10 for those things as they were ordered on April 27.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:26 PM

I'm chatting with amazon customer service now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones