Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 06:47 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times

Advertisements

Check your credit card for possible cell phone insurance. I have a VISA through Wells Fargo that gives me up to a max of $600.00 for damage to a cell phone so long as the cellular phone bill is paid monthly via that CC.
I used it once about seven years ago when I lived in UT and it worked ok. Took about three weeks to get the check, but only a day or two to state the damage was covered and they said a max payment would be sent.
So I purchased a new phone with the CC, and then paid it off when the insurance check arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 09:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I don't use credit cards, if I don't have the money to pay for something out right, I don't buy it.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
I’ve save enough $$$ over the last 5 years by not having insurance to buy a new iPhone. Enough said

Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You don't have to send the replacement phone back. The phone they send you replaces the original phone, it is not temporary. Your original phone is sent back to the insurance group at no additional cost to you and is either refurbished or scavenged for parts.

And if it has an intermittent problem they fire it up, pronounce it good and and send it to some other poor sucker. And I doubt that many have new batteries. My wife used to have insurance but it took too long to get the replacement phones and they usually had problems.

Don

Old 07-12-2020, 06:57 PM

142 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't use credit cards, if I don't have the money to pay for something out right, I don't buy it.
Most people who use credit cards have the money to pay for the purchase outright...

Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
i may be lucky but i have never ever, damaged or lost any of my phones, i feel the dealer offered insurance policies to be a waste of money

my kids on the other hand, different story

Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
So, using a CC for purchases; implies someone doesn't have the money to pay for it? Really?

You asked a question, I answered it; with an idea, only to receive a rather nasty implication. If you don't like using CC's then just disregard what I stated and move on. But to imply I don't have the money is ludicrous cause YOU DO NOT KNOW ME!

I purchase 99 percent of everything I purchase via ONE credit card, and it is paid off monthly. Only payment i have is a small mortgage payment. It makes it a lot easier to purchase stuff today, not only online, but also at the local stores. Saves me from carrying money which I only carry when on trips.

And I'm not alone, I know at least three other people who do the exact same with a CC. And using a card can be a great idea. Not only does it give me free cell phone coverage as stated; it also double the warranty, up to a max of one year, if the item is purchased with the CC. It also gives me free insurance on a rental vehicle if the CC is used. And yes it is ALL FREE. I pay nothing for the card, NO Interest, NO yearly fee; so all those benefits are free....to me!

Just another to be added to my IGNORE list. Why? Cause I am tired of people who ask questions, and when a question is answered, and they don't like the answer, they get have to reply with a ludicrous statement vs. just moving On.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 AM

The insurance has been cancelled, and I'll be getting a new screen later this week.

The TMobile rep tried to tell me the benefits of keeping it, and I told her the benefits of cancelling it. So she said when that it couldn't be added back to my existing phone, but it could be added to a new phone. I told her that I wasn't interested in keeping it, and don't plan to add it to a new phone.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Yes, using a credit card can be a good idea, but I prefer not to use them. I had an ex-boyfriend who racked mine up over $30K, and I had to declare bankruptcy on them.

Due to the nature of my work, my income fluctuates, so I prefer not to have any credit cards, except the three store cards that I use on occasion. If it gets to the point that I need a major credit card, I'll get one, but it hasn't happened yet.

And I wasn't referring to you.

Last edited by moved; 07-13-2020 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 09:45 AM

142 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
Yes, using a credit card can be a good idea, but I prefer not to use them. I had an ex-boyfriend who racked mine up over $30K, and I had to declare bankruptcy on them.
Careless behavior extends beyond contexts. Since you have a past experience of being careless (being responsible for $30k in debt), it might make sense to maintain Cell Phone Insurance or have some sort of budgeting in place in case your phone breaks (you drop it, submerge it, etc.).

I don't carry cell phone insurance, but I do understand it has value for some people.

I've considered getting a credit card that has cell phone insurance, but I don't want to get a specific card just for that one feature.

Last edited by MEGAlot; 07-13-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones