Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:09 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I take it you are not using a google phone where the contacts would go from phone to phone once you sign into your google account?
You must have missed "They are both flips phones".

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack
save contacts to SIM card, use same SIM card
You must have missed "switching providers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy
SIM cards don't have enough storage capacity (memory measured in kilobytes vs. mega or gigabytes) to store the average user's contacts. Perhaps you were thinking about an SD card to store the contacts which is not the same thing.
In ye oldern days, contacts could be saved to a sim. Name+number in a doesn't take up any space at all. Remember you couldn't even save addresses back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar 77
I had to manually do so when I changed from flip phone to old (hand-me-down) iPhone, then from old iPhone to new iPhone SE2020. I deleted old ones I had no use for, but it was still like 35. NBD for just name and number, any other information can be added at a later date.
You are doing it wrong. You should never have to re-enter contacts going from any iPhone to another. Use iCloud or associate your contacts with your email address on your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61
I am wondering if one can back up contacts to Apple icloud prior to replacing a phone to solve this problem.
Of course. When you save your contacts you can choose to save them TO your actual email. So lets say Gmail. Then you can login to Gmail and see your contacts. Any time you login in to any new phone they will get pulled down. Or you can use iCloud to save them. This is usually defaulted to on., as dk747 said.

As for OP you need to either do it by hand or go to the store where you get your new phone.
Or just get a damn smartphone already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 07:47 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
doesnt help o.p., but ive been using s.m.s. backup and restore when i buy a new fone since i dont like the cloud knowing my wifes birthday.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tacts&hl=en_US

Old 08-22-2020, 09:24 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
SIM cards don't have enough storage capacity (memory measured in kilobytes vs. mega or gigabytes) to store the average user's contacts. Perhaps you were thinking about an SD card to store the contacts which is not the same thing.
I spoke to person at MetroPCS who said I couldn't transfer to an SD card. Don't know why, but that's what I remember she told me. Maybe she doesn't know or maybe I misunderstood. I'll have to go to MetroPCS store to get more info, but I'm sure some of the reps don't know what they're talking about. (oh well)

Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM

OK, folks, I can only guess that a flip phone is not a "smart phone." Although the flip phone I got can get internet, radio, has a camera, etc.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:44 AM

OK, I checked, and an iPhone is, "a line of touchscreen-based smartphones designed and marketed by Apple Inc. that use Apple's iOS mobile operating system." So it's a type of smartphone, but it's evidently singularly under the Apple headship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
The usage of terms iphone, smartphone, etc. can be confusing. As I understand it, IPhone is really for that marketed by Apple.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
OK, I checked, and an iPhone is, "a line of touchscreen-based smartphones designed and marketed by Apple Inc. that use Apple's iOS mobile operating system." So it's a type of smartphone, but it's evidently singularly under the Apple headship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
The usage of terms iphone, smartphone, etc. can be confusing. As I understand it, IPhone is really for that marketed by Apple.
yup it can be confusing to a n00bie. smart-fones can be manufactured by multiple manufacturers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDEVIfbGEA

most cellular-telefones can run various operating systems (the exception is apple that is limited to only i.o.s.):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyMB4zm9so

Old 08-22-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yup it can be confusing to a n00bie. smart-fones can be manufactured by multiple manufacturers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDEVIfbGEA

most cellular-telefones can run various operating systems (the exception is apple that is limited to only i.o.s.):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyMB4zm9so
sooo I'm assuming that although the flip fone I bought has ability to connect to internet, has camera, radio fm, it is not classified as a smart phone. Would you say that is right?
And...iphones are smartphones but have a different OS not available to plain old smartphones.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:03 AM

2 types of phones: feature phones and smart phones.
You have a feature phone. It has a few features, but mostly just a phone. Also called dumb phones.
I don't believe there are any phones anymore that are so dumb they don't have those basic features that yours as.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:50 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
. Also called dumb phones. I don't believe there are any phones anymore that are so dumb they don't have those basic features that yours as.
We have to be politically correct nowadays. They prefer to be called "technologically challenged"

Old 08-24-2020, 07:58 PM

"Technologically Handicapped". I think handicapped is still PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones