U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 PM

1,118 posts, read 679,048 times

Advertisements

Droid wont' let me connect to public wifi - message - not secure - etc. and there doesn't seem to be any setting to overide this. Anybody know how to counteract this? Really wish I bought an Iphone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 08:14 PM

5,475 posts, read 1,705,068 times
Is this a new problem or something you've experienced for a while? Which version os Android does it run? With very old phones like this, there could be a handful of reasons why it doesn't work.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
No trouble with my public wifi access using my Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android OS 10.0. Likely your phone settings need to be verified and corrected or you may have an internal phone issue. Impossible to diagnose without physically having the phone to test its features/functions. Could be as simple as an improper APN stored in the phone or a complex hardware issue. We don't know what phone you are using, which carrier (prepaid or postpaid) or if you spoke with customer service about this for troubleshooting. You need to provide more information to get any help over this or any internet forum.

Best wishes. It might be a simple issue but we can't help with the limited information provided.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 09-08-2020 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-08-2020, 10:09 PM

5,475 posts, read 1,705,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
No trouble with my public wifi access using my Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android OS 10.0. Likely your phone settings need to be verified and corrected or you may have an internal phone issue. Impossible to diagnose without physically having the phone to test its features/functions. Could be as simple as an improper APN stored in the phone or a complex hardware issue. We don't know what phone you are using, which carrier (prepaid or postpaid) or if you spoke with customer service about this for troubleshooting. You need to provide more information to get any help over this or any internet forum.

Best wishes. It might be a simple issue but we can't help with the limited information provided.
We know the carrier... Verizon... postpaid.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:18 AM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Some users use the term "Droid" and "Android" interchangeably. I didn't want to assume anything. The OP's message did not indicate postpaid or prepaid either.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:29 AM

45,039 posts, read 64,426,194 times
Could be related to your phone settings and apps preferences. I have no problem with that.
Still having issues - try this:
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...onnect-to-wifi
https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-a...-guide-1086665
https://www.technobezz.com/android-w...nect-to-wi-fi/

Report back.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:24 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
Never had that problem with my moto droid phones when I used them. Are you running an anit-virus on your phone? If yes, could there be a setting? I noticed yesterday my Norton on my phone started acting weird when I updated to Android 11, so I deleted it. (Never had a problem with 10 or any previous, but 11 is new so Norton may have to catch up.)

Old 09-09-2020, 01:40 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Droid wont' let me connect to public wifi - message - not secure - etc. and there doesn't seem to be any setting to overide this. Anybody know how to counteract this? Really wish I bought an Iphone.
More details would be great. You think we can actually help you with this information? You think this is normal behavior on an Android?
Android's worldwide share of the smartphone market is 87%, Apple is at 22%. You think Android would have gotten this far with spotty wifi?
  • What is the exact make and model of your phone?
  • What exactly does it say when you try to connect? etc isn't helpful
  • Does it say anything else when it 'refuses' to connect?

Help us help you.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 679,048 times
Thanks - 2 droids - stylus and moto g. Both refusing connections for "security reasons" but I can't find anything in settings that would override this. Happening even with MTA - public wifi connections in Penn.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:29 PM

45,039 posts, read 64,426,194 times
The "stylus" phone is what? Samsung? LG?
Huawei?
Did you try to send a bug report to Motorola?
https://developer.android.com/studio/report-bugs
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones