Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

My research points to $70 per month. Seems a lot of $ to have an occasional-use phone. I just want to double check to see if there is any i have not found....

https://www.verizon.com/plans/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My research points to $70 per month. Seems a lot of $ to have an occasional-use phone. I just want to double check to see if there is any i have not found....

https://www.verizon.com/plans/
Have you looked at Verizon's Prepaid plans? I don't know if that would work for you but it does for me. I bought my phone outright so am not paying for a phone, just their services.

Take a look at this link and see if there is anything that works for you. I have the $30/month autopay version and it's fine. I don't spend much time on my cell as I also have a landline which I tend to use more. Click on "Compare Plans" and you'll see the plan I have plus some other options. I just have one line. I'm up the road from you in Roseville, so not in a different state or anything like that.

https://www.verizon.com/prepaid/

Old 09-18-2020, 04:22 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
Would you accept being on the Verizon network but not a customer of Verizon? If so, check out Tracfone or Page Plus Cellular.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
We have two lines with VZ for $80 so not sure what you are looking at

Old 09-20-2020, 12:18 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Would you accept being on the Verizon network but not a customer of Verizon? If so, check out Tracfone or Page Plus Cellular.
What I've been doing for the last 4 years.

Installed Tracfone's Verizon-compatible SIM card in an unlocked Motorola phone, bought from Best Buy, and it's been just great!

Old 09-21-2020, 05:32 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We have two lines with VZ for $80 so not sure what you are looking at
From Verizon site, I clicked down to 1 line, and unlimited plan is $70 per month. The only option less than that is 5GB data for $55, which is too little. Am I missing something? Maybe a sign of getting old.

By the way, is phone service and ISP combined these days? I don't seem to see ISP service any more.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Verison.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	223927

Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I have tracfone, it is just as good as having Verizon, and I live in a state where Verizon is the best.

However, it will be interesting in the future since in Sept. Verizon placed an offer purchase Tracfone from American Movil for 6.25 billion. Tracfone gas 21 million subscribers and more than 13 million are on Verizon's network.

Tracfone also owns Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Total Wireless, Walmart Family Mobile & GoSmart, Net10 Wireless,
Page Plus Cellular; so I would assume these tracfone companies will go with the transaction. I have not read what Verizon will do with these companies.

Of course, the purchase is needs approval by US regulators.

There are other MVNOs that use Verizon network....
Affinity Cellular, Best Cellular Boom!, Mobile Credo, Eco Mobile, EnTouch Wireless, GreatCall, Net10 Wireless, Page Plus Cellular, Pix Wireless, Puppy Wireless, Reach Mobile, Ready Mobile, Red Pocket, Selectel Wireless, Spectrum Mobile, Straight Talk, Ting Mobile, Total Wireless, TracFone, US Mobile, Visible, Xfinity Mobile.

I had US Mobile prior to switching to Tracfone and although service was as good as Tracfone they did stop my service three times with a statement saying I ran out of talk minutes and I was on an unlimited talk plan. I was able to contact them via the internet each time, and they started me back up a few minutes later; however, never received a reason WHY this was happening, and three times was three times too many. So I switched.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
From Verizon site, I clicked down to 1 line, and unlimited plan is $70 per month. The only option less than that is 5GB data for $55, which is too little. Am I missing something? Maybe a sign of getting old.

By the way, is phone service and ISP combined these days? I don't seem to see ISP service any more.....

Attachment 223927
our situation is no landline. We have WiFi at home. 5gigs is more than enough for us. When out and about we use WiFi, but don’t do anything important. 10gigs for $10 more. VZ gives us a $20 discount for auto pay and paperless billing

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-21-2020 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-21-2020, 11:50 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Also ask the company if they give a discount for your employer, a membership in an organization, etc. When I working I received a 20-22% discount by being a Federal employee, when I retired it carried over. However, you need to give them a call or go into one of their retail outlets to find out.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Straight Talk, a Tracfone affiliate that also uses Verizon services and will soon be owned by Verizon, has unlimited calling and 25gb of data for $45/month.
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...p/serviceplans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones