U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 12:32 PM

14,069 posts, read 21,739,215 times

Advertisements

T-mobile has worked great in the DC area. Last time I worried about coverage was around 2007, or something like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 AM

13,638 posts, read 6,766,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Also another example, Verizon USED to charge crazy fees outside the US.
But DIRECTLY because of competition from TMobile prices dropped and dropped and dropped. Now Canada and Mexico is no charge and it's a flat fee (as opposed to a per minute charge) to use your phone in many other countries.
AT&T as well. I remember in early 2006 I was on a trip to Canada, and was only a few miles from the border. I had to download some things via cellular data, and was facing a $1000+ charge. AT&T "nicely" sold me an international data package after the fact that brought it down to around $100.

I think the charge then was something like $.20 per kilobyte.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:42 PM

4,536 posts, read 7,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think the charge then was something like $.20 per kilobyte.
Back then, international data was very expensive. When I was a CS rep for At&t, I assisted more than a few customers with bills like that and even higher. The term for that was a "billing rerate" where the charges were billed as if the feature had been added prior to the usage. The carrier refunded the difference of what was billed vs. what they would have paid with an international roaming feature added to the account previously.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Back then, international data was very expensive. When I was a CS rep for At&t, I assisted more than a few customers with bills like that and even higher. The term for that was a "billing rerate" where the charges were billed as if the feature had been added prior to the usage. The carrier refunded the difference of what was billed vs. what they would have paid with an international roaming feature added to the account previously.
It certainly saved me a ton of money. The problem was that while a text was sent warning about usage and $$$$, it didn’t come in time!

Old 11-13-2020, 03:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 7,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The problem was that while a text was sent warning about usage and $$$$, it didn’t come in time!
No disagreement with you. Sadly international data is used very fast and as mentioned was very expensive back then. International data on cruise ships was even more expensive and I also assisted several customers who ran into this.

When it comes to international service, there will be delays of varying lengths in reporting to the domestic carrier while traveling internationally. I remember as a CS rep we had to disclose that such information could take up to about 2 billing cycles for the usage to be fully documented from the roaming partners.

I have also traveled along the NY/Canada border myself, on either side and experienced the same issues myself. I feel your pain and glad that they worked with you to come up with a fair solution.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
No disagreement with you. Sadly international data is used very fast and as mentioned was very expensive back then. International data on cruise ships was even more expensive and I also assisted several customers who ran into this.

When it comes to international service, there will be delays of varying lengths in reporting to the domestic carrier while traveling internationally. I remember as a CS rep we had to disclose that such information could take up to about 2 billing cycles for the usage to be fully documented from the roaming partners.

I have also traveled along the NY/Canada border myself, on either side and experienced the same issues myself. I feel your pain and glad that they worked with you to come up with a fair solution.
Ultimately it did and I’m glad that people won’t run into these issues again.

Data 15 years ago was like long distance/international calls 25 years ago.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 3,238,004 times
Technology may have changed a lot in 13 years but the 'cartel' behavior and poor customer service has stayed the same!
https://www.wired.com/2007/10/10-reasons-to-h/

I'm in process of trying to find best solution (for me) but they will not let me keep my legacy Verizon prepaid plan (with carryover of unused minutes).

I don't mind paying for higher quality hardware (4G LTE) - but the automatic big jump in plan rates and automatic erosion of what one 'paid' for is a pain.

Most of the prepaid carriers have now been bought up by the big carriers and they basically have reset all the baseline basic rates when you try to compare apples to apples.

I wish some company would still provide a basic talk text service that was truly pay for what you use. Although over the life of my plan they simply diluted the value of the minutes.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Technology may have changed a lot in 13 years but the 'cartel' behavior and poor customer service has stayed the same!
https://www.wired.com/2007/10/10-reasons-to-h/

I'm in process of trying to find best solution (for me) but they will not let me keep my legacy Verizon prepaid plan (with carryover of unused minutes).

I don't mind paying for higher quality hardware (4G LTE) - but the automatic big jump in plan rates and automatic erosion of what one 'paid' for is a pain.

Most of the prepaid carriers have now been bought up by the big carriers and they basically have reset all the baseline basic rates when you try to compare apples to apples.

I wish some company would still provide a basic talk text service that was truly pay for what you use. Although over the life of my plan they simply diluted the value of the minutes.
That article is dated. Extremely so in some cases.

After it came out so did the iPhone, so power for the devices went to Apple and not the carriers.

T-Mobile, as the “Uncarrier”, disrupted a lot in the industry. From providing an all-inclusive price with all-inclusive service (no chargeable extras for the vast number of customers) to freebies like Netflix and discounts on T-Mobile Tuesdays, this isn’t Verizon circa 2007.

I’ve had a cell phone since 1992, and I’d divide it roughly into 3 periods.

Up until around 2008 when carriers drove things.

2008-2015 when the manufacturers like Apple and Samsung became more important than the carriers for device selection.

2015+ when the carriers changed their models and became more competitive.

You want a pure text/talk service but unfortunately that’s not what most consumers want. Perhaps eventually if a company provides universal WiFi coverage you can do VoIP by the minute without a cellular contract.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:14 AM

37,027 posts, read 64,385,485 times
I've had cellphones since 1996.
I can count my interaction with customer service on both hands, with fingers left over. And, I am by no means brilliant on cellular usage.

I mean, I buy a phone, slip my sim card in, and I'm off and running.
Ditto for my wife.

First, 360/AllTEL/Sprint. Then AT&T for 4G.
The phone works until I run it through the laundry or drop it on pavement. The network works. I talk, email, text, surf.
My bill is accurate, and when they bump the money, I call with a question and get billing straight.

All I worry about is withstanding the Lure of The Next Bright Shiny Thing.
I prefer to buy last year's flagship phone at 50% off.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:41 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,847,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
A pox on both their houses. Have AT&T for one cell phone and a land line; have T Mobile for the other cell phone.

AT&T land line service sucks; bunch of idiots in their customer service call center; T Mobile coverage sucks.
You can't even get AT&T in some areas anymore. Customer service is poor, but so is Verizon cs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones