U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:45 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,164,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sorry to hear this.
My issue is different. As a real estate agent, I have to answer all calls. I never know what legitimate opportunity may be on the other end.
So, I tire of scumbag robocallers and telemarketers.
This is a real problem for businesses. I used to have to deal with that at work. They would call and ask for an employee who no longer worked there. We started to tell these people that the employee was not replaced. One Asian caller was real persistent. After I had forwarded her call to IT or HR a couple of times, I decided I had to stop doing that. I was afraid the IT & HR departments would start hating me. So when she called back, I told her "I'm sorry, you have the wrong number" and immediately hung up. That actually seemed to work.

While working, I belonged to a couple of professional organizations, which my employer paid for. These organizations would send repeated renewal requests for people who had left years ago. The organizations were expensive, and of dubious value, so it's not something anyone would subscribe to after retirement. I did not want my fellow employees to be burdened by my junk mail after I retired, so over a year before I retired, I wrote to both professional organizations and told them I was not renewing because I was going to retire. Much to my surprise, this actually worked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 09:23 AM
KCZ

2,762 posts, read 1,583,693 times
Kudos to the various govt agents that accomplished this, but I'm still getting 2-3 robocalls every day/night because my car warranty has expired.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:21 AM

3,580 posts, read 3,065,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well... I don't pay.

I just want my phone to quit ringing.
Glad this guy is going to do some serious time.
If you have an android there is a free app Calls Blacklist that I use and it works great. If the number calling is not in your contact list, the phone will not ring. They are allowed to go to voice mail in case it is a legit call. I've used it now for a few years and find it great. There are a few robocallers that do leave a full message, but usually just the last part. However that might only be about five percent of the calls that never ring and don't leave a message.
You are notified of call made that were ignored via a log if you care to look.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:00 PM

392 posts, read 434,436 times
I hate spammers but I also hate knowing we will spend a ton of money incarcerating this person.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:18 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Kudos to the various govt agents that accomplished this, but I'm still getting 2-3 robocalls every day/night because my car warranty has expired.
And that credit care company that's going to lower my rates.

I answer them all now and mess with them.
"Hi. Is your credit card a MC or Visa?"
"You don't know?? You claim to be the credit care processing company?! Ok it's a Visa"
"And how much is your balance?"
"You don't know? Surely you must know?"
Yea, they usually hang up on me...

Old 12-05-2020, 03:04 PM
KCZ

2,762 posts, read 1,583,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And that credit care company that's going to lower my rates.

"You don't know?? You claim to be the credit care processing company?! Ok it's a Visa"
"You don't know? Surely you must know?"
Yea, they usually hang up on me...

That doesn't mean they won't call you back again, or sell your phone number to another scammer. Most of the calls I get are robocalls, which are happening more frequently at night.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:16 AM

36,947 posts, read 64,295,450 times
[quote=Peregrine;59839167]And that credit care company that's going to lower my rates.

Visa (Sometimes Diners Club to paralyze their little brains.)

$17,000.

"Perfect. We can lower your interest rate to as low as 0."
Can't you just send me the money?

It usually goes downhill rapidly at that point.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:32 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That doesn't mean they won't call you back again
And they do but the frequency has gone down.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:53 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,164,045 times
More good news, as Dish has been fined $210 Million for Telemarketing Violations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCvyMkXf1w

In this video, Steve Lehto talks about his experience with Directv. Their installer told him that their service would not work due to obstructed satellite view, but that Dish would work because their satellite was in a different part of the sky. As a result, Steve went with Dish. Directv called Steve every month, even after multiple explanation from Steve that they could not offer service to his house.

His experience is all too typical. When my parents died, I promptly notified the DMA (Direct Marketing Association). I also would mail back advertisements and inform them that the parent was deceased, along with the date of death. Despite this, I still get advertisements and charity pitches for my father who died in 2014. The amount of money wasted on advertising and charity pitches to dead people and others who cannot buy the product is incredible.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 AM

4,532 posts, read 7,283,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
.....Despite this, I still get advertisements and charity pitches for my father who died in 2014. The amount of money wasted on advertising and charity pitches to dead people and others who cannot buy the product is incredible.
Same thing happened when my grandmother passed around the same time frame. For the first few years I would write "Return to Sender" and place it back in the mailbox. It did very little to reduce such mailings. When I moved there was no need to leave a forwarding address in her name and finally no more SPAM mail addressed to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones