U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 10:19 AM

3,112 posts, read 3,340,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
More good news, as Dish has been fined $210 Million for Telemarketing Violations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCvyMkXf1w

In this video, Steve Lehto talks about his experience with Directv. Their installer told him that their service would not work due to obstructed satellite view, but that Dish would work because their satellite was in a different part of the sky. As a result, Steve went with Dish. Directv called Steve every month, even after multiple explanation from Steve that they could not offer service to his house.

His experience is all too typical. When my parents died, I promptly notified the DMA (Direct Marketing Association). I also would mail back advertisements and inform them that the parent was deceased, along with the date of death. Despite this, I still get advertisements and charity pitches for my father who died in 2014. The amount of money wasted on advertising and charity pitches to dead people and others who cannot buy the product is incredible.

In reverse, this was a news story a few years ago - well, back to when too much advertising appeared in our usps boxes and people screamed about it. A man had finally had his fill of a stuffed mail box. So, he sent that day's worth back to the senders marked "Deceased".

Did that stop them? Who knows? However, the post office picked up on the "deceased" and passed on the information that this gentleman had passed away. This reached his bank and Social Security. Bank account closed. SS stopped. Jeepers! All because he wanted to stop being flooded with ads.

Maybe we'd better just give it the silent treatment? Especially since two of them are via companies you'd not expect: "On behalf of....AT&T / Spectrum." I do not know if this is true. Someone here might. Actually, the two may not be involved with the calls at all but they are carriers who sell phone services to telemarketers. And the telemarketers benefit. If they hang up before we answer, they do not get charged. But once we answer, they have to pay. Does that give you good reason to answer? :-)

Don't want to answer? Count the rings. Telemarketers used to hang up on the fourth ring. It is now up to six and one particular man hangs up on seven. Pretty soon.....?

And, yes, they do call back. The last-mentioned man above has to be simply hitting a recall button as soon as I hang up on him. The phone rings again before I turn away. I don't answer. He calls again. I finally caught on. But there we are. We may be busy but all they have to do is sit in an easy chair with their beers and pretzels, punching buttons for automatic calls. What a life!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 02:24 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,293,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
And, yes, they do call back. The last-mentioned man above has to be simply hitting a recall button as soon as I hang up on him.
Actually, most of those calls are done from an automatic dialer, rarely are they manually dialed.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:43 PM

3,112 posts, read 3,340,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Actually, most of those calls are done from an automatic dialer, rarely are they manually dialed.

True but, once I pick up the phone, a live human comes on - carries on a conversation and acts as if we are old friends. I may be wrong but I think the robo only acts until you answer the phone. Then you get a human. At least I do. Other times you may be given a phone # to call. I never have had that because I don't hang on long enough. Not responding to any of them

Old 12-15-2020, 02:43 PM

221 posts, read 50,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Good. Have no problem with any robocaller going to prison (or executed), and that includes those who make no money.

However, it sure does amaze me how people can fork over money from the actions of a robocaller. Heck, I've been waiting three or maybe four years for the US Marshal to come arrest me cause I told him over the phone to shove his warrant up his rear end vs. sending in a number from a visa prepaid card he wanted me to purchase. And the fool actually stated he was the US Marshal situated in Idaho Falls, not a deputy US Marshal; so they cannot even get the locations or chain of command correct.

So, why do people pay???
I despise the scumbag thieves so much that it does not matter if they are a Man or Woman, I call them vile filthy names then inform them if I was next to them I would blow their brains out with a 45. My vote is for execution without trial.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:45 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,293,767 times
Quote:
True but, once I pick up the phone, a live human comes on - carries on a conversation and acts as if we are old friends. I may be wrong but I think the robo only acts until you answer the phone. Then you get a human. At least I do. Other times you may be given a phone # to call. I never have had that because I don't hang on long enough. Not responding to any of them
Agreed !!

Old 12-15-2020, 02:53 PM

40,491 posts, read 36,301,522 times
Chuck this loser off a bridge.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:55 PM

221 posts, read 50,678 times
Quote:
However, the post office picked up on the "deceased" and passed on the information that this gentleman had passed away. This reached his bank and Social Security. Bank account closed. SS stopped. Jeepers! All because he wanted to stop being flooded with ads.!

That statement is pure fiction.

The only way the SSA will stop benefits due to death is when they receive notification from a funeral director or county coroner. Banks, in turn, are notified by the SSA.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:36 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,012,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I want my phone to quit ringing, too. Since mom died in May 2020, I no longer have any important phone calls (She was in memory care; the staff would call me if there was a problem). I have the ringer off now, and if I see the phone flashing, I just ignore it.
Sorry your mother passed away.

Always have the ringer on, even if its low. Or get a new phone number if you don't like the calls, cause in the case of an emergency like from the local town or a neighbor telling you about some problem, or the pharmacy calling to tell you they gave you the wrong medication, you are going to miss it if the phone doesn't ring.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:38 AM

37,017 posts, read 64,365,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Sorry your mother passed away.

Always have the ringer on, even if its low. Or get a new phone number if you don't like the calls, cause in the case of an emergency like from the local town or a neighbor telling you about some problem, or the pharmacy calling to tell you they gave you the wrong medication, you are going to miss it if the phone doesn't ring.
Getting a new number isn't a good fix.
Robodialers use software that just cycles through numbers looking for a hit.
555-1212
555-1213
555-1214
Etc.

And, they spoof local numbers to make it look like it is from my local area code and even my local cell exchange.
I almost didn't answer an unknown number this summer, and it turned into a nice bit of business for me.
So, I have to answer them all, and I find nearly no mercy in my soul for these criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones