U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:46 AM

18,064 posts, read 5,054,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
According to Nerd Wallet, these 2 "pay as you go" plans still exist.
UltraMobile by T-mobile @ $3/month
AT&T Daily @ $2/day used

Both only available in-store, not on-line or phone

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/util...-toc-heading-3

The $10 per Year plan I'm still on is no longer available to new customers. (As a "senior citizen" I only make or get average 2 calls a month, never send texts, no data)

Good Luck and YMMV........
Thanks for posting this ^^^^^, and I’m glad the Jethro SC490 is working out for you.

Right after you posted the above, I started looking into the UltraMobile plan above. I liked the option for automatic monthly replenishment/extending the time. The minimum replenishment/monthly charge is $5, but I figured I could make use of the excess over time with one of the options.

As of early September I had two $2 per day plans, one with Verizon, and the one you listed above With AT&T. I’ve had both for 12 years. The Verizon plan hasn’t been offered for 5-6 years (IIRC), but I was grandfathered in. The Verizon plan = 3G, and was supposed to end on 12/31/19. enough people complained (not me), that Verizon pushed back the date another year...to later this week (12/31/20).

Both accounts/#s = adding $100 at one time = extend the service expiration date for 365 days. I use both numbers infrequently enough that I had a credit balance (that each company owed me) of a bit over $400 on Verizon, and a bit over $170 on AT&T.

Verizon wasn’t going to tell me to go fly a kite, I just needed to get a smartphone and switch to a prepaid monthly plan to bleed out my balance. Before leaving on the trip I’m on, I had a new unlocked 2020 iPhone SE delivered to me. I used it on the AT&T account and then on 11/20/20 (weeks before my 12/7 expiration date) I migrated my Verizon service to their monthly smartphone plan. They credited the conversion fee back to my balance, and gave me a free month, so my first deduction from my credit balance was on 12/20. I could then see exactly when my balance would run out, and I added $5 to my balance to bring the last balance (in 2022) up to an even month plus a few cents. My Verizon credit balance will bleed out by April 18th of 2022 with 80 cents left over.

My AT&T expiration date is April 22nd of 2021, so I called AT&T and asked them if I could extend for another year after that, but pay now.....
....and, no.

But they said they could extend me for another year from then for $10.

I didn’t want to have an expiration date right before Christmas/the end of the year (in 2021) so I asked if I could do the same in early January. She said yes, and said she’d note my account and to call back then.

So I’ll call back next week, pay the $10, and then I’ll be all set until 2022.

After the call, I thought about it, and I think AT&T did this for me once before, about 5 years ago, and that Verizon did it for me one year as well.

I may call AT&T again in April to see if I can do the same thing again, bringing my expiration date to 4/22/22 (within days of when the ‘bleed out’ of my Verizon credit balance ends). If they say no I may, in January of 2022, switch my AT&T number to their most expensive prepaid monthly to try to bleed out that balance by April of 2022. Then all of my options will be open (I don’t really need cell phone data...I have unlimited 4G LTE for $35 a month on my iPad Pro).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM

10,685 posts, read 11,542,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The Verizon plan hasn’t been offered for 5-6 years (IIRC), but I was grandfathered in. The Verizon plan = 3G, and was supposed to end on 12/31/19. enough people complained (not me), that Verizon pushed back the date another year...to later this week (12/31/20).
My mother (age 86) has a grandfathered Verizon Prepaid plan for $15/month for 300 minutes or texts on a 3G phone which she has had for over a decade. They said that even if she purchases a 4G phone, she must upgrade to the new minimum plans for $30/month for unlimited talk and text.

I called last week and the operator said Verizon had secretly delayed shutting down 3G, but she is not allowed to say for how long. So I renewed for another month

Old 12-28-2020, 02:27 PM

5,040 posts, read 7,287,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My mother (age 86) has a grandfathered Verizon Prepaid plan for $15/month for 300 minutes or texts on a 3G phone which she has had for over a decade. They said that even if she purchases a 4G phone, she must upgrade to the new minimum plans for $30/month for unlimited talk and text.

I called last week and the operator said Verizon had secretly delayed shutting down 3G, but she is not allowed to say for how long. So I renewed for another month
This could be a good alternative for her: 1000 talk minutes/unlimited texts/1 GB data for $8.25/mo if you pay for a year at a time ($99).

Red Pocket Annual Plan- $8.25/mo

Old 12-28-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This could be a good alternative for her: 1000 talk minutes/unlimited texts/1 GB data for $8.25/mo if you pay for a year at a time ($99).
That is actually cheaper than Page Plus Cellular $10/month with Auto Refill | 500 minutes | 500 texts | 100 MB 4G LTE

She doesn't like any changes in her life. As far as she is concerned $15/month for 300 minutes/texts is OK until Verizon shuts down the 3G network. Then she has to switch.

Since I already bought a PPC phone, I will try her on the $30/year total 500 minutes or texts and see if she exceeds the limit. If she does, I will bump her up to the $10/month plan.

But thank you anyway, for the suggestion.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-28-2020 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Very interesting.

I wonder if it was re continued complaints re the shutdown of 2G/3G, or because of how things are because of COVID, or a combination of both.

I don’t have any regrets. In addition to ‘3G ending’ my physical phone was also dying. It was an LG Extravert 2 with a slide out keyboard. In August, If I remember the month correctly, the removable battery gave out. if I wanted to use it, I had to plug in a not just specific type of cable but specific cable (don’t ask ) just to get power to the phone. Per a written statement.....which I tried to get multiple stores to ignore w/no luck....Verizon stopped activating 3G phones in the U.S. (even if you had one lying around)....in the middle of 2018.

Verizon’s current prepaid smartphone plans, once you hit the LTE data allotment for the price level of your plan, rather that cutting you off from data, they slow it to ‘2G speed’.

Why would they make that particular reference (back in the day when it was the fastest, I remember references to 3G speed for data) unless that = slowing it down to actual 2G ? (I think it’s likely they wouldn’t)

Old 12-28-2020, 05:58 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,629,473 times
I use Ting, base price is $9/mo and you only pay for what you use. Very reliable company and customer service is awesome. Give them a call , you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:01 PM

Default A

Quote:
My mother (age 86) has a grandfathered Verizon Prepaid plan for $15/month for 300 minutes or texts on a 3G phone which she has had for over a decade.They said that even if she purchases a 4G phone, she must upgrade to the new minimum plans for $30/month for unlimited talk and text.

For the 12+ years I had that plan, I had a number of different phones. Other than the LG Extravert 2, two come quickly to mind.....the LG Cosmos 3, and a Motorola Razr

Old 12-28-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Very interesting.

I wonder if it was re continued complaints re the shutdown of 2G/3G, or because of how things are because of COVID, or a combination of both.

I don’t have any regrets. In addition to ‘3G ending’ my physical phone was also dying. It was an LG Extravert 2 with a slide out keyboard. In August, If I remember the month correctly, the removable battery gave out. if I wanted to use it, I had to plug in a not just specific type of cable but specific cable (don’t ask ) just to get power to the phone. Per a written statement.....which I tried to get multiple stores to ignore w/no luck....Verizon stopped activating 3G phones in the U.S. (even if you had one lying around)....in the middle of 2018.

Verizon’s current prepaid monthly smartphone plans, once you hit the LTE data allotment for the price level of your plan, rather that cutting you off from data, they slow it to ‘2G speed’.

Why would they make that particular reference (back in the day when it was the fastest, I remember references to 3G speed for data) unless that = slowing it down to actual 2G ? (I think it’s likely they wouldn’t)
Accidentally left out the bolded word when I originally posted the above ^^^^^.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Very interesting.

Terminating 2G services could leave vulnerable people who rely on 2G infrastructure without means to access emergency contacts, leading to preventable deaths.

I suspect that Verizon always intended to go past their announced termination date. Most people are now off 2G/3G equipment, that way when they actually turn off the networks, they will have a strong defense against any wrongful death suits. The wrongful deaths will probably occur because of emergency equipment which no one will notice no longer works for months until it is needed.

Verizon Prepaid renewed my mother's account to January 24th without sending a notice. I believe they have to give a 30 day notice (or more) before they actually shut down.

I will probably move to a Tracfone subsidiary (I already have a phone from Page Plus Cellular), but it was announced in September that Verizon is set to acquire Tracfone in a deal valued at up to $6.9 billion.

There are a number of companies other than TracFone subsidiaries that are hosted exclusively on Verizon's network. I wonder what the company will do with them once they own TracFone?
  • Affinity Cellular
  • CREDO Mobile
  • enTouch Wireless
  • GreatCall
  • Reach Mobile
  • Ready Mobile
  • Scratch Wireless
  • Selectel Wireless
  • Spectrum Mobile
  • Visible.
  • Xfinity Mobile
  • Yahoo Mobile

Old 01-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this ^^^^^, and I’m glad the Jethro SC490 is working out for you.

Right after you posted the above, I started looking into the UltraMobile plan above. I liked the option for automatic monthly replenishment/extending the time. The minimum replenishment/monthly charge is $5, but I figured I could make use of the excess over time with one of the options.

As of early September I had two $2 per day plans, one with Verizon, and the one you listed above With AT&T. I’ve had both for 12 years. The Verizon plan hasn’t been offered for 5-6 years (IIRC), but I was grandfathered in. The Verizon plan = 3G, and was supposed to end on 12/31/19. enough people complained (not me), that Verizon pushed back the date another year...to later this week (12/31/20).

Both accounts/#s = adding $100 at one time = extend the service expiration date for 365 days. I use both numbers infrequently enough that I had a credit balance (that each company owed me) of a bit over $400 on Verizon, and a bit over $170 on AT&T.

Verizon wasn’t going to tell me to go fly a kite, I just needed to get a smartphone and switch to a prepaid monthly plan to bleed out my balance. Before leaving on the trip I’m on, I had a new unlocked 2020 iPhone SE delivered to me. I used it on the AT&T account and then on 11/20/20 (weeks before my 12/7 expiration date) I migrated my Verizon service to their monthly smartphone plan. They credited the conversion fee back to my balance, and gave me a free month, so my first deduction from my credit balance was on 12/20. I could then see exactly when my balance would run out, and I added $5 to my balance to bring the last balance (in 2022) up to an even month plus a few cents. My Verizon credit balance will bleed out by April 18th of 2022 with 80 cents left over.

My AT&T expiration date is April 22nd of 2021, so I called AT&T and asked them if I could extend for another year after that, but pay now.....
....and, no.

But they said they could extend me for another year from then for $10.

I didn’t want to have an expiration date right before Christmas/the end of the year (in 2021) so I asked if I could do the same in early January. She said yes, and said she’d note my account and to call back then.

So I’ll call back next week, pay the $10, and then I’ll be all set until 2022.

After the call, I thought about it, and I think AT&T did this for me once before, about 5 years ago, and that Verizon did it for me one year as well.

I may call AT&T again in April to see if I can do the same thing again, bringing my expiration date to 4/22/22 (within days of when the ‘bleed out’ of my Verizon credit balance ends). If they say no I may, in January of 2022, switch my AT&T number to their most expensive prepaid monthly to try to bleed out that balance by April of 2022. Then all of my options will be open (I don’t really need cell phone data...I have unlimited 4G LTE for $35 a month on my iPad Pro).
I just called back, and they wouldn’t do it.

What was most disconcerting was not that they wouldn’t do it, but that the rep claimed, when I asked, that there were not only no rep generated notes from my previous call, but today’s rep said that there was no record of my having called at any time in December .

So, I’ll call back on April 21st and then be set with both carriers until ‘late mid’ April of 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones