U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Only if you are ABLE to bail and unsubscribe from a group text.
It's a 3 man group. I mean, etiquette should dictate once party A and B make a plan to ride that C will not attend, any further discussion about that ride should take place only between A and B. That's just common courtesy which his friend seems to lack. So instead of making friend send 2 texts, maybe just suggest they take it to a one on one once he is out. Keep bitching about it and A and B may stop including C.

In other words... try talking to them about the issue instead of getting all angry about this...... abomination?!?!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,703,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's just lame you expect him to send a message to you then resend the same message to the other person.
It is very easy to do. Does NOT require retyping.

Quote:
It bothers you that much that you ... discuss it to death.
Can't he send a group text, then when you bail,
What is this process to bail? All I can find is to change the type of notification. I don't want to block the numbers altogether. Besides, what if in the midst of all this stuff that doesn't concern me they propose an upcoming ride that i would like to join?

Quote:
he can go to the 1 on 1 he surely has with the other guy?

Best to start off only sending texts to those for whom the texts are relevant. I finally got through to the primary offender I am happy to report and yes, we are still friends.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:38 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It is very easy to do. Does NOT require retyping.
What is this process to bail? All I can find is to change the type of notification. I don't want to block the numbers altogether. Besides, what if in the midst of all this stuff that doesn't concern me they propose an upcoming ride that i would like to join?
I mostly agree with you. Just think your use of the word ABOMINATION is a bit heavy handed.

No, you cannot bail. Your friends should bail once it's understood you are not in.

A > B&C "Who's in?"
B > C&A "In!"
C > B&A "Out!"

Because if you were in you could all 3 discuss details. As soon as C is out, A & B should continue a conversation without you. THEY bail.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:14 PM

1,434 posts, read 473,040 times
Group texts are the current equivalent of Reply All.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It's a 3 man group. I mean, etiquette should dictate once party A and B make a plan to ride that C will not attend, any further discussion about that ride should take place only between A and B. That's just common courtesy which his friend seems to lack. So instead of making friend send 2 texts, maybe just suggest they take it to a one on one once he is out. Keep bitching about it and A and B may stop including C.

In other words... try talking to them about the issue instead of getting all angry about this...... abomination?!?!?

Abomination is my frank opinion. I was less blunt with my friends and I did talk to them. I think they finally got it -- they are still my friends.

Actually it is a two man, one woman group for what difference it makes. If C, that is I, is not attending then yes, A and B should communicate between themselves, but they did not make that transition -- easier to just hit reply, I guess. Does not matter if the originator of the proposal starts a group text or with two texts as long as there is a transition to one on one. When I need to announce something to the partner at my shop and my two employees I will text as I am rarely there these days. I don't do a single group text in most cases because I don't want them to be called to their phone for the other's replies for a situation that doesn't merit group discussion.

There is a greater issue -- technology for its own sake and a disregard for whether or not it facilitates pleasant efficient communication. I own an auto repair shop. A lawyer lady's car broke down on the side of the road so she e-mailed the shop DURING BUSINESS HOURS. She was upset that she waited 3 hours until I happened to check e-mail. She had not tried to call. Because of an obsession with using the most current technology people lose sight of the question, "What would be the most efficient, way to communicate? Or the most considerate?" i have observed so many cases where the back-and-forth of texts or e-mails drags out something that would have been very quickly covered in an old-fashioned verbal conversation.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I mostly agree with you. Just think your use of the word ABOMINATION is a bit heavy handed.

No, you cannot bail. Your friends should bail once it's understood you are not in.

A > B&C "Who's in?"
B > C&A "In!"
C > B&A "Out!"

Because if you were in you could all 3 discuss details. As soon as C is out, A & B should continue a conversation without you. THEY bail.

"Abomination" is hyperbole of course. And yes, you understand the way it should go down.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:51 PM

5,040 posts, read 7,286,584 times
I recently somehow got added to a friend's family group text. I am getting bombarded with texts from all of these people I have never met (although I've heard about them from my friend). Its sort of a weird feeling... I wish there was a way to exit out of it.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I recently somehow got added to a friend's family group text. I am getting bombarded with texts from all of these people I have never met (although I've heard about them from my friend). Its sort of a weird feeling... I wish there was a way to exit out of it.

Yes. It is extremely annoying. You might be able to put a custom notification on the conversation which you would know to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones