U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 11:54 AM

6,220 posts, read 10,044,995 times

Advertisements

Several times recently when trying to go on-line with established accounts with bank or PayPal, they want to confirm my cell number by sending me a code to enter on-line. Each time I never get the code, even when requesting multiple re-sends. And the # shown is correct.

Sending my cellphone a test message (720XXXYYYY@tmomail.net) several times comes thru right away.

Anyone else have this issue ?

With PP I've found a workaround. Bank not so much.

Oh, and I have tried both phone call and chat with both and got nowhere. PP is the worst.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 12:46 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
Don't put the @tmomail.net in there?!?!? JUST the phone number. I'm surprised it even lets you!?!?

Old 01-04-2021, 03:22 PM

@tmomail.net is the e-mail address I use to generate a test text to my cellphone from my PC's e-mail app.

The cell# in my profiles at these 2 sites is a normal 123-456-7890 number !

I do wonder if they don't like the dashs, but other sites will warn you to not use dashes if their system can't handle them.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:14 PM

Smile Followup - Success

For the benefit of others, just found the source of this issue.

Apparently, T-Mobile (and maybe others) by default block text messages known as "short codes". These "verification code" texts apparently use "short codes". I got a lead on this by Googling the problem, and found a T-Mobile Help page covering this exact issue. It said to call them and they would unblock the "short codes". So I did, and that let the code from the bank come thru.

If needed, read the Help page here: https://community.t-mobile.com/accou...ion-text-14333

Old 01-07-2021, 12:40 AM

18,050 posts, read 5,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
For the benefit of others, just found the source of this issue.

Apparently, T-Mobile (and maybe others) by default block text messages known as "short codes". These "verification code" texts apparently use "short codes". I got a lead on this by Googling the problem, and found a T-Mobile Help page covering this exact issue. It said to call them and they would unblock the "short codes". So I did, and that let the code from the bank come thru.

If needed, read the Help page here: https://community.t-mobile.com/accou...ion-text-14333
I don’t think Verizon nor AT&T do.

I have both my Verizon number and my AT&T number on file with most of my financial institutions, and I haven’t had any issues with either re the verification that you’re talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones