U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times

Advertisements

The service is never free but it can pretty cheap.

Buy something like this for $110, new unlocked, up to date smart phone. The phone is then yours and you can switch companies since it is unlocked. Plenty of other cheap options for smart phones, this is just one example.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-XT20...dp/B0813YVK1D/

Cricket is $30 a month, total, that's it. No hidden fees and tax is included. You get 2gb data, unlimited talk and text.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

No excuse unless you WANT something older and outdated. There are valid reasons for that by the way. I just can't think of any that apply to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 04:25 PM

2,270 posts, read 521,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The service is never free but it can pretty cheap.

Buy something like this for $110, new unlocked, up to date smart phone. The phone is then yours and you can switch companies since it is unlocked. Plenty of other cheap options for smart phones, this is just one example.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-XT20...dp/B0813YVK1D/

Cricket is $30 a month, total, that's it. No hidden fees and tax is included. You get 2gb data, unlimited talk and text.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

No excuse unless you WANT something older and outdated. There are valid reasons for that by the way. I just can't think of any that apply to me.

Thats exactly the point, I am not buying a phone for YOUR needs. I need one that does voice calls well, some have truly horrible speaker/mike. I need to do occasional text, yea they ALL do this. And I need to be able to tether to my computer since thats my MAIN use of a cell phone, to share its data cause where I am, no DSL or cable. Most all do tethering unless the company you get your service from blocks it.

My Sonim XP5 is an ex-ATT phone. I use it with an MVNO on ATT network. ATT hardwired all their phones using their branded ROM to block tethering unless you pay extra. My MVNO doesnt, they say upfront they dont care if customers tether, they just arent providing tech support to do it. I sideloaded an old open source app that does an end run. The Sonim is a feature phone, but uses a older limited version Android 4.4 so you can sideload some older apps, they may or may not run since the Sonim doesnt have touch screen.

I use Redpocket, bought on Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, you can get 360 day plan that provides unlimited voice, unlimited text, and 20GB data every 30 days. This year I missed the absolute low price so giving equivalent of $26 every 30days, this beats the crap out of $30 a month for Cricket to get 2GB data. 20GB, heck I dont stream video other than few short doityourself youtube videos, so rarely even use the full 20GB in 30 days.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Thats exactly the point, I am not buying a phone for YOUR needs. I need one that does voice calls well, some have truly horrible speaker/mike. I need to do occasional text, yea they ALL do this. And I need to be able to tether to my computer since thats my MAIN use of a cell phone, to share its data cause where I am, no DSL or cable. Most all do tethering unless the company you get your service from blocks it.

My Sonim XP5 is an ex-ATT phone. I use it with an MVNO on ATT network. ATT hardwired all their phones using their branded ROM to block tethering unless you pay extra. My MVNO doesnt, they say upfront they dont care if customers tether, they just arent providing tech support to do it. I sideloaded an old open source app that does an end run. The Sonim is a feature phone, but uses a older limited version Android 4.4 so you can sideload some older apps, they may or may not run since the Sonim doesnt have touch screen.

I use Redpocket, bought on Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, you can get 360 day plan that provides unlimited voice, unlimited text, and 20GB data every 30 days. This year I missed the absolute low price so giving equivalent of $26 every 30days, this beats the crap out of $30 a month for Cricket to get 2GB data. 20GB, heck I dont stream video other than few short doityourself youtube videos, so rarely even use the full 20GB in 30 days.
Let me get this straight. I had to go back and read your original post.

It seems to me like you have it all figured out.

You don't even have a question do you? Was it a rant or a rave? I don't get it or better yet what do you expect from anybody else here?

Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
He is trying to help others that have an old ass flip phone. hahah
The 3%'ers here at CD.

Quote:
Y'know what does this things better then a flip phone? A $399 brand new iPhone SE.
Still too rich for your blood? How about a used one for $300: https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/apple-...d-gen/unlocked

Still too much? A 7 for $120? https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-7

The sound quality on these are AMAZING. Especially that SE. They do great texting. They do exceptional tethering.
There's a couple other things they do, too, that might be handy for you.

Quote:
Cause if you are typing more than a short sentence, its going to take long time. Especially for us old fogeys that send a text once in a blue moon.
Speak for yourself. My 72 year old mother in law out texts both me and her daughter. Most 'old fogey's" these days have
smartphone and can text with the best of us.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
He is trying to help others that have an old ass flip phone. hahah
The 3%'ers here at CD.

Y'know what does this things better then a flip phone? A $399 brand new iPhone SE.
Still too rich for your blood? How about a used one for $300: https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/apple-...d-gen/unlocked

Still too much? A 7 for $120? https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-7

The sound quality on these are AMAZING. Especially that SE. They do great texting. They do exceptional tethering.
There's a couple other things they do, too, that might be handy for you.

Speak for yourself. My 72 year old mother in law out texts both me and her daughter. Most 'old fogey's" these days have
smartphone and can text with the best of us.

The thing is I RARELY SEND A TEXT and only when its some idiot that ONLY texts, doesnt know how to make a voice call or email. I only have one close friend still alive and we mostly email. Why would I need to spend LOT money to make texting easier? My Sonim cost me $25 and in pristine condition. New they were several hundred dollars. Yea cant figure who conned anybody to pay several hundred for a feature phone, even if its a nice high quality one. They were/are sold as a "rugged" phone, waterproof and suppose to take serious fall. So where is this pristine high end smart phone for $25?

Just accept some of us are perfectly happy and have our needs met with a feature phone. You want a super computer in your pocket, great. Lets see who is crying if they lose their phone?

And the whole point of this thread wasnt to argue whether I need a smart phone. It was for my fellow feature phone owners that want to do the occasional text on T9 keypad. I do suggest anybody out there try it ahead of time and then refresh their memory every once in a while. Not fun having to text and cant remember how.

By way I had that old Samsung Eternity. It had screen keyboard and was little easier than T9 but still wasnt any super speedy way to type. I used eraser end of a pencil to do each letter, cause apparently I have fat fingers.... Felt like hunt and peck version of typing. You really arent going to do touch typing unless you can connect blue tooth keyboard to your phone or something. Thus my pointing out that tethering a laptop to a phone makes lot more sense to do any serious typing.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:18 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Right on, man. So what does your one friend think about you sending him voice messages?

Old 01-26-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Right on, man. So what does your one friend think about you sending him voice messages?

SHE doesnt care if thats whats available, just open attached audio file and Bobs your uncle, it plays. Same with photo attachments. Its really not rocket science. Though like say, we rarely use phone, mostly email. I text to her email and lot times it ends up in spam box no matter how we try to greenlight it as NOT SPAM. We both prefer EMAIL, she has DSL but poor cell reception. So if I did text her, it would be to her email and only cause I was away from computer and it was somehow urgent. Since thats rare.... very little all that urgent when you are an old man unless its getting up in middle of night to pee.

Both of us more likely to check our email than our phone. I am always amazed all the old trash spam texts and voicemails my phone tries to show me, usually several months old. The previous user of this phone number either died or didnt bother to update any of his contacts, cause most are directed to him and its been over three years since I got this number. Anybody that knows me at all, knows to EMAIL if they want a response.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 PM

18,064 posts, read 5,054,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
SHE doesnt care if thats whats available, just open attached audio file and Bobs your uncle, it plays. Same with photo attachments. Its really not rocket science. Though like say, we rarely use phone, mostly email. I text to her email and lot times it ends up in spam box no matter how we try to greenlight it as NOT SPAM. We both prefer EMAIL, she has DSL but poor cell reception. So if I did text her, it would be to her email and only cause I was away from computer and it was somehow urgent. Since thats rare.... very little all that urgent when you are an old man unless its getting up in middle of night to pee.

Both of us more likely to check our email than our phone. I am always amazed all the old trash spam texts and voicemails my phone tries to show me, usually several months old. The previous user of this phone number either died or didnt bother to update any of his contacts, cause most are directed to him and its been over three years since I got this number. Anybody that knows me at all, knows to EMAIL if they want a response.
I like spending a bit of time in remote places, and I like driving to remote places....heck, I drove to L’Anse aux Meadows near the northern tip of Newfoundland, starting months earlier in California. However, Given what is available now, I wouldn’t want to permanently live in a place where the the connections re ‘communication devices’ is as poor as it appears to be where you live. That would drive me nuts.

Apple, LG, Samsung, etc. have a way of building devices that you didn’t know could become sort of ‘Swiss army knives’ in your life until you experience them, and then try not to. However, I’m basing that on normal urban/suburban availability. perhaps if my signal availability were similar to yours I wouldn’t feel the same about having devices with good features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones