Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times

Advertisements

I had been commenting in another thread and since I so rarely use texting, though I better renew my skills. Lucky I did, had forgotten couple little tricks using T9 keypad. Practice makes perfect of course, but I only send text once in a blue moon so forget.

So sent a text to my email, just insert email address rather than phone number. Fine. So then hand wrote note on piece paper and took pic of it and attached that to an MMS text to my email. It worked and handwriting note and taking pic LOT faster than T9 keypad. Be aware MMS texts require data, you cant attach anything to basic text. Though most cell service now comes with some data whether you use it or not.

Oh and when attaching, noticed you can also attach an audio file. So you can just record a short message and attach that file. Hey it beats heck out of typing more than a sentence using T9 keypad.

If I were going to be taking longer car trip, I would just toss in my mini laptop and tether it to the cell phone. SO much easier doing things on laptop than cell phone with tiny screen and black unlit keypad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 08:37 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Don't you have to have internet to use your laptop?

Old 01-22-2021, 09:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I need to find a different tech forum to hang out on...

Hahahaha
Just teasing.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Don't you have to have internet to use your laptop?

I tether my laptop to my cell phone via usb cable to share its web connection.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I need to find a different tech forum to hang out on...

Hahahaha
Just teasing.

There are lot cutting edge forums for those with latest greatest hardware and the deep pockets to buy it.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:28 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
It's not about money. You can get a smart phone for free from many providers. You can get a decent Android for $100. People aren't using "flip phones" because they are poor. They don't WANT smartphones.

So your tip to the 5% of people here (at best) that have flip phones was what my comment was directed at. ANd I'm not trying to be rude. Trying for laughs.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Sending SMS text is so last decade.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
What's a feature phone?

I had to google it. We used called them Candy Bars.

Really?

NO reason to keep those, at all.

SMART phones are literally free in many cases. They may be too complicated for some very technically challenged people but if you can use a PC...no excuse.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:10 PM

Wow, figured people here were smart enough to realize NOTHING IS FREE. Some providers may give you a phone, but RARELY is this the best deal for cell service. You pay for the phone more than once with higher cost for service.

And I had a cheap LG smartphone several years ago when Sprint discontinued 2G and I had to buy a 3G phone. That thing overheated if I left it connected to computer to tether. Oh yea the sound sucked, I finally bought an external headphone to plug into it, cause I couldnt understand a thing anybody said trying to talk to me. Oh and it wasnt free, at the time it was cheapest Sprint compatible phone I could find at $80.

I was not amused. I NEVER spent over $25 on phone after that. And I bought used. Had a free Samsung flip phone from MVNO (ATT) that I really liked until I lost it. I really liked that phone. Then couldnt find a flip, the MVNO wasnt doing flip phones anymore at any price, so bought an ancient Samsung Eternity smartphone off ebay for $15 (used) that was loaded with bunch useless ATT software, and used a Samsung proprietary OS no longer supported so no new apps . Popped the replacement SIM in it and used it until recent times and the end of 3G, I think it could have lasted an eternity. Found the used high quality feature phone Sonim XP3. It works great for my needs. I read about the el cheapo crappo low end flip and bar phones that could do 4G LTE. I wasnt impressed, seemed kinda luck of draw if you got one that held up. Nobody much makes a high quality feature phone anymore. Or the couple that do want an arm and leg for them.

The best compromise in new phone seemed to be Pine Phone. Its linux based and you have root access out of box. Still kinda beta far as doing anything beyond voice and text. And $150 new. Seemed bit pricey for my needs. But root access out of box big selling point. Rather have it than cheap new Android phone that really doesnt work very well.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sending SMS text is so last decade.

Then you probably shouldnt do it. Wouldnt want to be outed for not being current.

Amazing such opposition to post how to use a feature phone when those in opposition dont own or use one. Do you have stock in some smart phone company? All I am suggesting is for those with a feature phone, how to avoid the super slow typing with T9 keyboard. Cause if you are typing more than a short sentence, its going to take long time. Especially for us old fogeys that send a text once in a blue moon. Back in day some that constantly texted got proficient with their thumbs. I didnt. Anybody that is not constantly texting isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones