U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:39 PM

12,506 posts, read 6,971,501 times

Advertisements

Not sure about older Androids but I can just plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and it works fine. It detects the keyboard and mouse. The mouse pointer appears on the screen of the phone. You use the mouse like it were you finger on the screen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 02:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,443,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And if your only internet is cell service and your cell company bans tethering? Not all of us live in big city with free wifi everywhere and basic cable internet an easy inexpensive option.
Nothing to do with what I posted, it's beside the point. For that matter, use your phone the way you describe and cast to a larger screen with a miracast adapter, about $20, no Wifi needed. You can attach a mouse/keyboard to a smartphone via OTG cable. If you want connectivity and live away from the city, then either pay more for the right service or use it less. We all make choices.

There is more than one way to skin a cat..

Old 02-01-2021, 03:02 PM

2,300 posts, read 537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not sure about older Androids but I can just plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and it works fine. It detects the keyboard and mouse. The mouse pointer appears on the screen of the phone. You use the mouse like it were you finger on the screen.

Apparently my old feature phone can do blue tooth mouse though I never tried it, do have a blue tooth mouse around somewhere so maybe one of these days. Mine supposedly cant do blue tooth keyboard though the slightly upgraded and improved version my phone can. I dont know, dont have a bluetooth keyboard.

BUT you are still doing that on the tiny screen. Guess its just me, but I truly hate doing anything on phone, tablet, or whatever tiny screen that I have to use my finger as a stylus. My late ex-wife tried to convince me how wonderful the Android tablet her phone service "gave" her was. She basically gave up using her desktop and laptop when she got that. I truly hated having to constantly focus and expand tiny areas of the screen. And screen keyboard of course. Course she was also super gung ho for Facebook. I knew she was crazy at that point. Surely she had been around me long enough to know I would have zero interest in that. Seemed to me kinda like electronic version of the boring Xmas letter mentioning all the family comings and goings the past year.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Miracast adapter here. Will work with most smartphones. Cast your phone's screen to your TV, all you need is a free HDMI connection. No wifi needed. It is a direct connection. Will also work with some PCs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0886K4CZ1

Old 02-01-2021, 05:11 PM

And Scrcpy is FREE which is the point. Nothing to buy, nothing to install on phone, no monthly subscription fees or ads. No HDMI. I was reading little more and seems you can even do it WIRELESSLY.

Shame my phone is just wee bit too old to work with it, been fun to experiment. I dont have any true use for it. Too many old computers setting around to need to use phone as computer and my cell MVNO has no problem with me tethering.

Nothing has to be installed on the phone with Scrcpy so sure sometime I get access to a phone with Android 5 or newer can try it. Sometimes just fun to learn some new trick, maybe can pass it on to somebody it will benefit. Though most people seem resistant to workarounds.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM

6,024 posts, read 3,137,335 times
palm foleo (2007)
moto atrix (2011)

Old 02-02-2021, 08:11 AM

12,506 posts, read 6,971,501 times
Quote:
Apparently my old feature phone can do blue tooth mouse though I never tried it, do have a blue tooth mouse around somewhere so maybe one of these days. Mine supposedly cant do blue tooth keyboard though the slightly upgraded and improved version my phone can. I dont know, dont have a bluetooth keyboard.

BUT you are still doing that on the tiny screen. Guess its just me, but I truly hate doing anything on phone, tablet, or whatever tiny screen that I have to use my finger as a stylus. My late ex-wife tried to convince me how wonderful the Android tablet her phone service "gave" her was. She basically gave up using her desktop and laptop when she got that. I truly hated having to constantly focus and expand tiny areas of the screen. And screen keyboard of course. Course she was also super gung ho for Facebook. I knew she was crazy at that point. Surely she had been around me long enough to know I would have zero interest in that. Seemed to me kinda like electronic version of the boring Xmas letter mentioning all the family comings and goings the past year.
https://www.amazon.com/Enlarger-Magn.../dp/B08JQMH6HS

? maybe "livable" solution when paired with an attached keyboard + mouse ?

I see a few on Amazon in various configurations and features. I wish I could say more but I've never had one but I'm considering one for my phone while it sits on my work desk.

I would surmise that whether or not it works out for you is going to greatly depend on the quality of the display on your phone.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
And Scrcpy is FREE which is the point. Nothing to buy, nothing to install on phone, no monthly subscription fees or ads. No HDMI. I was reading little more and seems you can even do it WIRELESSLY.

Shame my phone is just wee bit too old to work with it, been fun to experiment. I dont have any true use for it. Too many old computers setting around to need to use phone as computer and my cell MVNO has no problem with me tethering.

Nothing has to be installed on the phone with Scrcpy so sure sometime I get access to a phone with Android 5 or newer can try it. Sometimes just fun to learn some new trick, maybe can pass it on to somebody it will benefit. Though most people seem resistant to workarounds.
Scrpy is not the same thing as the miracast. Not even in the same ballpark.

If you want the same functionality as Scrpy, I suggest Teamviewer to control phone from PC or viceversa. I'm sure there are other similar solutions.

Miracast will MIRROR your phone's screen on a TV, can be as big as you want. You operate your phone as normal and will see the screen on your TV.

So, going back to your thread title 'Phone as home computer....'

This will do exactly that without having to use a tiny screen. Imagine sitting at your couch and viewing your phone on your TV screen, done wirelessly, no bulky wire there to get in the way. Then with a mouse and keyboard attached to your phone, you are now are using your phone as a home computer on a big screen.

Yes, you need a smartphone. I am pretty sure not too many people here are using "feature" phones. You are probably the only one.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Scrpy is not the same thing as the miracast. Not even in the same ballpark.

If you want the same functionality as Scrpy, I suggest Teamviewer to control phone from PC or viceversa. I'm sure there are other similar solutions.

Miracast will MIRROR your phone's screen on a TV, can be as big as you want. You operate your phone as normal and will see the screen on your TV.

So, going back to your thread title 'Phone as home computer....'

This will do exactly that without having to use a tiny screen. Imagine sitting at your couch and viewing your phone on your TV screen, done wirelessly, no bulky wire there to get in the way. Then with a mouse and keyboard attached to your phone, you are now are using your phone as a home computer on a big screen.

Yes, you need a smartphone. I am pretty sure not too many people here are using "feature" phones. You are probably the only one.

Seems like every once in a while somebody posting wanting a FEATURE/flip phone and everybody tries to sell them on smartphones. Hey they know what they need. Why spend more for features you dont need? If you actually use a phone as a traditional phone, the other crap just gets in your way. And if you want a computer in your pocket, why not make it as useful as possible at lowest cost possible?

Why do I need a smart phone? LOL You might need one, have no idea. I dont so dont transfer YOUR needs to everybody else. I am old retired, go once or twice a month to get groceries. Dont need google maps for that, my memory isnt that bad. Dont need to tweet on the toilet like some politician or publically publish a family Xmas letter on Facebook. Dont need much of any of it.

I am not a luddite. But I only need phone to tether cause thats most cost effective internet service out here in boonies. My feature phone does this very nicely. And to have if I need to make an emergency call. It has clear speaker and mike so again serves this function quite nicely. I get both these cheaper with cell than I get just basic LOCAL phone service on landline. I havent talked on phone for couple years now. There is simply nobody I need to talk to. Didnt have children, and only one friend still alive and we prefer email. I dont know whats so hard to understand about that.

I cant tell you exactly what Scrcpy is like cause again my phone is Android 4.4 and Scrcpy needs Android 5.0. Apparently there is some flaw in Android before 5.0. But since I dont personally need Scrcpy, no reason to go buy a phone just to experiment. My friend was forced to upgrade to cheapo crappo smartphone she didnt want, by Tracfone, so it might be new enough. Maybe see if her phone can work with Scrcpy in few months or whenever we see each other in person. Again not a big deal. As say people are resistant to doing anything other than the factory way, so even some that could actually use this would instead be conned into 'easy payment plan' for something they dont actually need.

But again Scrcpy is free. I am sure I can adjust resolution on computer screen to make phone screen image any size I want. Android looks dumb on big screen but it works if you dont need touch screen for a particular app. And for basic computer apps like word processor or email client or even browser doubt it would be a problem.

You are confusing some arbitrary standard in your head for your own needs or desires, with something free that just works. If you want to spend money and have it to spend to meet some arbitrary standard you deem important, then you should definitely buy whatever your little heart desires. But as workaround for somebody that just wants to do email easier on their phone, hey, I think Scrcpy do fine. Though again I cant try it so cant recommend it as perfect solution, only a potentially FREE one. Why this offends you I have no idea. People with a need should be able to make up own minds if a FREE solution is GOOD ENOUGH.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Why do I need a smart phone? LOL You might need one, have no idea. I dont so dont transfer YOUR needs to everybody else.
Transferring? Are you serious? What do you think you are doing?

What I offered is a better solution to your post " Phone as a home computer" than you did.

That is all. Not transferring (LOL) anything.

You started the thread. You offer solutions to nobody. Nobody has ever heard of Scrcpy, nobody needs it and nobody has a feature phone. Free is beside the point. Almost EVERYTHING is free with smartphones. I have no idea where you go the idea that they are not.

Is that clear enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones