U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 8,511,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And if your only internet is cell service and your cell company bans tethering?
Get a better cell company?

Hotspot comes free with many plans these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM

13,048 posts, read 15,159,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You started the thread. You offer solutions to nobody. Nobody has ever heard of Scrcpy, nobody needs it and nobody has a feature phone.
Recommending something YOU'VE NEVER EVEN tried is just mind blowing to me. You don't even know what a smartphone is capable of but you are going to recommend someone use one as a desktop computer. This is not how recommendations work.

"Hey, you should try this thing that I have zero experience with it because I am NOT a luddite even though my phone has a version of android that is at least 6 years old, and there must be something wrong with it, but try this thing out!!! Let me know..."

And if I had a dollar for every single person that said something similar to me:
Quote:
Hey, I don't need a smartphone because all I need a phone to do is make calls....
who later thanked me for getting them a modern phone....

OK I wouldn't be rich... but I'd have at least $20!

Old 02-02-2021, 04:11 PM

2,300 posts, read 537,022 times
Quote:
Transferring? Are you serious? What do you think you are doing?

What I offered is a better solution to your post " Phone as a home computer" than you did.

That is all. Not transferring (LOL) anything.

You started the thread. You offer solutions to nobody. Nobody has ever heard of Scrcpy, nobody needs it and nobody has a feature phone. Free is beside the point. Almost EVERYTHING is free with smartphones. I have no idea where you go the idea that they are not.

Is that clear enough?

You offered a solution THAT REQUIRES MONEY. And yes Scrcpy does work. DuckDuckGo is your friend, others have successfully used it. I just dont personally have experience using it so cant say how easy it is to adjust phone on computer screen. Well should say I installed it and it ran but my phone is Android 4.4 and it needs Android 5.0 or newer, think I pointed that out.

Again several people have posted wanting a FEATURE PHONE. People like you assume everybody has your needs and desires and tell them they are stupid to not mimic you and your needs. IF YOU NEED A SMART PHONE, THEN BUY ONE. DONT TELL ME OR ANYBODY ELSE THATS ONLY SOLUTION. Spending money is not necessarily the best solution for everybody. I take it you were a SALESMAN or something. And you dont profit if people dont buy your sales pitch.

Last edited by HJ99; 02-02-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 04:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,443,842 times
Quote:
Again several people have posted wanting a FEATURE PHONE.
I must of missed that one.

You are funny, I will give you that.

I have a smartphone and so do a large percentage of cell phone users.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Get a better cell company?

Hotspot comes free with many plans these days.

You must be a city lad, not everybody in rural areas has a choice of cell company. Though most could find an MVNO if they tried that used the same network, but oddly they dont.

Hotspot requires an unlocked phone. MORE MONEY. If you havent learned the life lesson that their aint no FREE LUNCH, well better hurry up. No company gives ANYTHING for FREE out of the goodness of their heart, there is always a price. "free" phone, tablet, or hotspot gizmo, just means higher bill or you are locked into a contract or whatever. ITS A MARKETING GIMMICK and not one for your benefit. Boy you spend others money pretty easily. Again if you believe the marketing beautiful sunshine, more power to you.

Some of us rather spend bit time than money. Spending time usually means we learn something. Spending money only teaches us how to whip out the plastic to solve every problem. If thats what YOU want, more power to you. Spend YOUR money and smile, smile, smile. Dont tell me or anybody else we have to spend OUR money.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I must of missed that one.

You are funny, I will give you that.

I have a smartphone and so do 99% of cell phone users.

Lemmings follow each other off the cliff. Are you a lemming? I'm not. I buy what I need and no more than I. need. I spend the least amount money on the least amount technology that meets my needs. You apparently feel need to keep up with the Jones next door??? What other people choose to buy IS NOT MY CONCERN. Again if you find my post useless to your needs, stop reading it and go BUY something so you feel better.

https://review42.com/smartphone-statistics/
There are 5.11 billion unique mobile users worldwide in 2019, and 2.71 billion of them use smartphones.

Uh doesnt sound like 99% to me or did nearly half switch to smart phone in past year?

Old 02-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Recommending something YOU'VE NEVER EVEN tried is just mind blowing to me. You don't even know what a smartphone is capable of but you are going to recommend someone use one as a desktop computer. This is not how recommendations work.

"Hey, you should try this thing that I have zero experience with it because I am NOT a luddite even though my phone has a version of android that is at least 6 years old, and there must be something wrong with it, but try this thing out!!! Let me know..."

And if I had a dollar for every single person that said something similar to me:

who later thanked me for getting them a modern phone....

OK I wouldn't be rich... but I'd have at least $20!

So are you going to give everybody that doesnt take your unasked for and unwanted advice a $1. I will be waiting.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,443,842 times
Quote:
Dont tell me or anybody else we have to spend OUR money.
I got an idea. DON"T give us what we did NOT ask for. We don't need "solutions" to problems that nobody has.

ONLY YOU HAVE THEM.

Then, to top it off, you get your panties in a bunch if someone else makes suggestions.

Quote:
So are you going to give everybody that doesnt take your unasked for and unwanted advice a $1. I will be waiting.
How ironic.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:31 PM

545 posts, read 158,245 times
Aggregating all of your computing onto just your phone? One basket, all your eggs.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:24 AM

13,048 posts, read 15,159,476 times
Quote:
I'm not giving you any advice. I am giving you a hard time because you are recommending something to...others... that you have no experience with at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones