U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 11:18 AM

2,300 posts, read 535,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm not giving you any advice. I am giving you a hard time because you are recommending something to...others... that you have no experience with at all.

I actually have quite bit of experience with computers. LOL I just dont buy every gadget the market tries to sell me. If I dont see a great need, I dont buy. I know, unAmerican, but tough, CAPITALISM says I the consumer get to decide what I need.

And if you need help with web search, HERE it is: https://www.androidauthority.com/con...rom-pc-854442/ I suggest you tell them they dont know what they are doing.

And you keep misunderstanding my point ON PURPOSE, I am sure. I personally wouldnt use cell phone to access internet unless that was all I had. As I point out it isnt rocket science to get a PC well under $50, though this takes EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE. If you are clueless and just want something that mostly works out of the box, then you pay more $$$$.

Using a phone as only computer, meh, but its an OPTION FOR SOME!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I got an idea. DON"T give us what we did NOT ask for. We don't need "solutions" to problems that nobody has.

ONLY YOU HAVE THEM.

Then, to top it off, you get your panties in a bunch if someone else makes suggestions.

How ironic.

Then why does my pointing out this option OFFEND you so much with you attacking it vehemently. If nobody has this problem then the thread, people will ignore it, and it will just wither away into the historic posts. YOU ARE THE ONE KEEPING IT ALIVE AND WANTING TO ARGUE. You offer me no rational argument of why owning a smartphone is so important except "everybody has one and you wouldnt want to be different, would you..." Honestly that sounds lot like some kid in junior high not wanting to be different.

Oh and you only make suggestions requiring people to spend money. I am offering options that dont require spending a dime. Kinda think that offends you more than anything. When you can offer an alternative option that doesnt require spending money, then I will take you seriously. Obviously anybody that can afford all your purchases could just purchase a new $2000 laptop and whatever latest top of line iphone, and be done with it. LOL If you have lot money, then you dont have to think about such trivial expenses I guess. Some of us are careful with our money and dont waste it on unnecessary purchases. Thats why we have money, we dont spend it foolishly.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:11 PM

30,562 posts, read 36,927,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Its another option. For many elderly looking at a tiny screen and dealing with touch screen keyboard just isnt very pleasant. This solves that. Is it for everybody, nope, and guessing those that need it, probably too big of technological leap. But perhaps somebody could do it for them. Some elderly get stuck with latest greatest smart phone cause their adult children insist though they just want a phone, not a computer in their pocket. So this makes it bit easier if they use it.

Also some cell providers charge extra for tethering. If like me thats only way to get internet (in LOT RURAL AREAS), this lets you use your phone as a desktop without violating terms of service.

Would I do it for myself, nope, not for day to day use. Not unless I could no longer tether my computer to phone to share its internet. If phone is only internet and no tethering allowed, then this makes all sense in world.
I bought my parents a new PC. Neither could figure out a smartphone nor would I have wanted them to have to deal with doing their "computing" on a phone. No way. They have been used to using a PC for years - I made sure they had a new one about every 5 years or so.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I bought my parents a new PC. Neither could figure out a smartphone nor would I have wanted them to have to deal with doing their "computing" on a phone. No way. They have been used to using a PC for years - I made sure they had a new one about every 5 years or so.

And alas there is the downside. Going cheap or doing techy workarounds requires knowledge to substitute for pre-packaged tech at a cost or hiring somebody. Those with the knowledge are not going to have a problem. If they need further knowledge, they know how to search for it. Just about any multi-core and a few single core systems from past 20 years can be modernized with a current free open source system and be perfectly usable. Well that and most old surviving systems need heat sinks reseated with new thermal paste. Maybe a new fan. Good cleaning definitely. General maintenance you dont need if you just buy a new one every five years.

Not everybody had children to keep them up to date. Or the money.

I was, at one point few years ago trying to get win10 to tether to my phone, at time, a Samsung Eternity using BADA operating system. Win10 would recognize an Android and offer to tether, but you had to do a work around with dialup dialer to tether to the BADA or other non-Android capable of tethering. Win10 by way is not a dialup friendly system. But found out there are still a million people in USA on dialup. And those that upgraded PC on advice of loved ones or experts to win10 were really struggling. Win10 seems not to have a dialup exception to mandatory updates, and this is ludicrous on dialup. Yes there are ways of blocking the updates with firewall, this takes some tech ability.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:41 PM

2,262 posts, read 1,132,078 times
Every time I read a response to this thread I get confused on what you are trying to do, OP.

HJ99, are you trying to attach a phone to a computer screen to make it easier to read things on the phone? Or are you tying to use the phone as a computer by attaching a keyboard and monitor to the phone?

Can you explain so I'm unconfused? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Every time I read a response to this thread I get confused on what you are trying to do, OP.

HJ99, are you trying to attach a phone to a computer screen to make it easier to read things on the phone? Or are you tying to use the phone as a computer by attaching a keyboard and monitor to the phone?

Can you explain so I'm unconfused? Thanks!

The free software I mentioned lets you control the phone remotely through computer screen and keyboard and mouse. Possibly a way to use an old computer as an easier way to use internet capabilities of a more modern phone. Modern smart phone is in fact a small Android computer just unpleasant to use. The omputer would do nothing but remotely control the phone, the phone and its apps would be the actual computer.

But as others point out and I acknowledge, it takes at least some basic skill to set up. Not something usually done so you will get no support, especially from those with deep pockets wanting to sell you a pre-packaged solutions. And if you have computer skills, its most likely not much more difficult to put modern linux on that old computer and eliminate the middleman. Though if cell connection is your only internet, sometimes the cell companies either ban tethering or want to charge extra to tether. But if the phone is the computer, should be no extra charge beyond whatever data is involved.

Anyway its an option, dont think I nor anybody else is saying its a great one. But some people the phone is their only internet, this would make it more pleasant. Especially if their internet needs are minimal.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:33 PM

13,047 posts, read 15,155,650 times
And he's never actually done this first hand, just something he read about on another webpage.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
And he's never actually done this first hand, just something he read about on another webpage.

I can tell you it installed and ran fine on computer, but NO, I am not going to buy a smartphone with Android 5 or higher just to test it. If link I gave is not good enough for you well I guess you are just out of luck and cant turn your old cell into a computer FOR FREE. I know with all the posting you did on this thread complaining and moaning, you are just chomping at the bit to make one of these Android computers out of an old cell phone. Why else would you be so interested?

I ran across it, I posted about it, NOT RECOMMENDING IT, just recommending the idea. YOu seem confused that I am telling people to do this. NO ITS JUST AN OPTION TO TRY BEFORE SPENDING MONEY. I though worth a try even though I only have Android 4.4, and it didnt work. There was apparently some flaw in Android pre-5.0. Possibly a workaround but I am not an Android person and I DONT NEED THIS, its AN OPTION I RAN ACROSS THAT WOULD LET YOU DO WHAT I SUGGEST IF YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK JUST LIKE THE android website people made it work. They are experienced with Android, and if it worked for them, its likely it can work for anybody with hardware specified. Even if it worked for ME, doesnt mean it would work in all circumstances. NOBODY IS MAKING A DIME OFF IT, if you break something, you own it. Not sure what you expect for FREE, I am not going to jet cross country on my private jet (cause everybody has money to blow on a private jet according to you) to set it up for anybody.... LOL If some local friend wanted me to try and they had the hardware then I would. Though if they had a computer capable of a current version linux, most likely they would be happier with that. Trouble helping anybody with technical crap, they start seeing me as their charity IT guy. I did this for an elderly friend 20 years ago, and I swear he would call me at least once a week to fix something. It was like he just pushed random keys or something and didnt even try to learn how to use it.

Important rule of thumb, if you cant be bothered to learn anything, then you better be rich so you can hire somebody one way or another.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:56 AM

13,047 posts, read 15,155,650 times
I ONLY have an issue with someone making a suggestion to others without any experience with the thing they are recommending. That's it.
You have 'quite a bit of experience with computers?' Cute. You don't have experience supporting 100's of people with those computers. You don't recommend something unless you are prepared to support it which you cannot do because you cannot do the thing you recommend.

This post sucks and applies to hardly no one here. There. I said it.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:08 PM

4,946 posts, read 3,441,419 times
Quote:
This post sucks and applies to hardly no one here. There. I said it.
It's like beating a dead horse. Don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones