U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:20 AM

9,000 posts, read 5,151,861 times

Advertisements

Up front info: Yes, I know there are other carriers, but they don't have decent coverage where I live. T Mobile is close so soon as they build a tower around here, I'm done with Verizon.

I need to vent. Just spent 2 1/2 hours ordering a new phone with Verizon on their website. Local store directed me on line due to COVID. Can't even pick up a phone there; have to have it Fed Ex'd. What should have been a very simple purchase turned into an ordeal of verify and reverify and having to log in under my account, then having to log in under her account, resetting both passwords along the way.

It was absolutely the hardest, most frustrating purchase I have ever made in my life. Worse even than buying a car. Literally. Just bought a new truck and it took less time and hassle than buying this phone was. Why do some businesses make it so hard to give them my money?

Like I said, soon as T Mobile builds a tower around here, I'm switching.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 12:59 PM

2,558 posts, read 3,929,211 times
Keep in mind, the cell phone providers do NOT own the towers. They lease them, and those leases come and go, so the actual local coverage does change. (See any of the cell tower mapping websites, Google "cell phone tower map").

Also, the cell phone provider coverage maps are NOT generated by field measurements, but rather by their sales department. In other words, they can be trusted, but only to a certain extent, and certainly not city block by block. The only way you will know for sure that you have good coverage is to actually hold a phone in your hand at that location.

As far as the purchase experience, you're probably buying a very expensive piece of technology. It's not surprising that they require a fair amount of ID verification. I got a new Verizon phone right before COVID and it took me two trips to a storefront, and then they had it FedEx'ed it 2-day to my billing address. I thought that was reasonable.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:45 PM

226 posts, read 72,533 times
Verizon customer service is absolutely terrible..
Long wait until a human comes on the line. The customer service rep refused to listen to what I wanted, and, instead tried to forcefeed me what I did not want... Their DSL internet service sucked, my landline was too expensive for what I had.
I told the rep that I am done with her & Verizon's BS and that I am terminating them. She wanted to transfer me to a retention manager - i told her to stick her "script"where the sun don't shine.

I called Comcast, signed up for their TriplePlay package (TV, Internet, Phone)and got a great deal with price lock for 2 years.Installation was done on time and quickly.Best part - they transferred my phone # and terminated Verizon for me!!.

Verizon sucks - plain and simple...
Good riddance...

Old 02-01-2021, 12:53 PM

34,437 posts, read 14,479,568 times
Let me tell you my experience with Verizon.

I went to the Verizon store and bought a Pixel 4 smart phone. I had something 2 weeks to upgrade to the Pixel 4XT, and after less than a week, I did. They took the Pixel 4 and had it shipped back to some distribution center in Texas. Apparently the phone never got there. Their fault. Not mine. It Fed Exed out on their dime. They charged me for both phones. That was $1,000 down the drain.

Will they deal with the issue? No. Not online. Not on the phone. Not through certified mail.

I'll keep their monthly service, but I'll never buy another phone from them.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:02 PM

418 posts, read 96,172 times
I have verizon. I told them, I have this much money. I want that phone. With all the features. Then I told this is what I have for the 1st payment. I make sure it's more than enough. The only thing now is to activate my iPhone. Nothing to it. So I am with Verizon yet.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:31 AM

4,288 posts, read 1,837,819 times
I forgot my G-mail password, and it will not recover it. I have had a couple of people help me try. So now Verizon tells me I need it to buy another phone???? We are on a family account.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:06 AM

13,224 posts, read 15,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Can't even pick up a phone there; have to have it Fed Ex'd. What should have been a very simple purchase turned into an ordeal of verify and reverify and having to log in under my account, then having to log in under her account, resetting both passwords along the way.
As an IT Professional: this was all on you. First thing I ask anyone that wants me to setup a new phone: Do you know your Gmail or Apple password? The number of times they do not...SMH.
You didn't remember your password? O M G Damn you.... Verizon? This is their fault? OMG and then you had to logout as you, login as her and then.... she couldn't remember her password? Now you have to reset it?!? OMG The horror that Verizon won't let you buy a phone for someone else?!?! OMG... YOU forgot another password??? How is this anyone else's fault... but yours.

Maybe you need a password manager:
https://www.lastpass.com/

Quote:
Worse even than buying a car. Literally. Just bought a new truck and it took less time and hassle than buying this phone was.
Didn't need a password for the car.

phetaroi has a pretty valid complaint.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,638 posts, read 62,884,107 times
My last Verizon experience has been completely different. My wife and I walked into the store (masked) and asked to upgrade our i-phones from 6 to XR. The woman backed them up, activated the new ones, restored the data to the new ones, and explained some of the new features. The cost of the phones was a monthly charge on our bills, other charges were added to our account for the next billing, nothing due at that time, and away we went after about 30 minutes. It was a very smooth operation, in fact we did a positive review on Yelp.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:39 AM

13,286 posts, read 19,670,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Up front info: Yes, I know there are other carriers, but they don't have decent coverage where I live. T Mobile is close so soon as they build a tower around here, I'm done with Verizon.

I need to vent. Just spent 2 1/2 hours ordering a new phone with Verizon on their website. Local store directed me on line due to COVID. Can't even pick up a phone there; have to have it Fed Ex'd. What should have been a very simple purchase turned into an ordeal of verify and reverify and having to log in under my account, then having to log in under her account, resetting both passwords along the way.

It was absolutely the hardest, most frustrating purchase I have ever made in my life. Worse even than buying a car. Literally. Just bought a new truck and it took less time and hassle than buying this phone was. Why do some businesses make it so hard to give them my money?

Like I said, soon as T Mobile builds a tower around here, I'm switching.
Weird.
I just left t mobile for Verizon.
But where do you live. Because here in Chicago the stores are open. I was just in Verizon store 2 days ago.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 5,900,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Weird.
I just left t mobile for Verizon.
But where do you live. Because here in Chicago the stores are open. I was just in Verizon store 2 days ago.
T mobile told me I had to upgrade my phone, so I did. The phone was defective, neither T mobile or Alcatel, who made the phone would help me. Luckily I have a friend who works at Walmart. She got Walmart to warranty the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones