U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: When do you replace your phone?
When a new model comes out 0 0%
6 months to a year 1 1.54%
1 - 2 years 4 6.15%
2 - 3 years 11 16.92%
4 years or more 25 38.46%
I keep it til it dies 24 36.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2021, 12:25 AM
 
18,510 posts, read 5,221,083 times
Reputation: 6612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You sound like me Rebl.


That was a phone. It was unbreakable. I remember we had warranty coverage on a few of those. One guys phone broke but it wasn't a coverable offense under warranty. Don't remember the specific problem. Buy ya' know what WAS covered? A cracked screen. Took me over 30 minutes to crack it. Throwing it at the ground. Slamming it on the corners of desks. It would not break. It may have not been an HD screen or been a multipoint touchscreen, but man it wouldn't break. Finally broke it by throwing it out a 3rd floor window.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2021, 01:46 AM
 
2,433 posts, read 579,693 times
Reputation: 3832
Either the phone companies obsolete it by no longer allowing 2G, 3G, etc or I manage to lose it or break it. Only lost one phone, never broke one. They tend to be pretty durable, least ones I have owned.


Never owned one of newer ones with non-replaceable battery. It is replaceable usually, just not easily. Though sure some batteries are hard to come by and expensive if you do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 PM
Status: "woke folks think life is about taking a whiz on my flowers" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Beavercreek, OR
291 posts, read 55,202 times
Reputation: 154
i went through three brand new flip phones from april of last year to a month ago today. are they purposely makin simple phones cheap to get everyone to use "smartphones" or what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2021, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Mars City
6,860 posts, read 3,409,426 times
Reputation: 10578
I keep it until it dies. I baby it too by having no apps, and keeping it connected to the power cord as much as possible. Mostly use it for music and texting anyway, so few calls and little Internet usage. Works for me. Never have had issues with it either. Purrs and rolls along year after year without complaint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2021, 05:31 PM
 
2,433 posts, read 579,693 times
Reputation: 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by airemp76 View Post
i went through three brand new flip phones from april of last year to a month ago today. are they purposely makin simple phones cheap to get everyone to use "smartphones" or what?

The current dumb/feature phones tend to be limited life unless you pony up for high end feature phone or you are smart enough to buy a used high end one that can do 4G LTE. Right now you can get used Sonim XP5 cheap used. I gave $25 for mine in pristine condition. These are built high end. But new they were several hundred dollars, sold as a "rugged waterproof phone" to people in trades and to firemen, cops, etc. There are newer Sonim phones, but think after the XP5s, they became smart phones. Sonim also sold XP3 that is flip phone version of XP5. Its well built but was less popular so used unlocked ones are far rarer. I rather had an XP3, but wasnt willing to spend money to get one. The XP5 is pretty bulky to carry in pocket, really need a belt holster for it. Luckily I rarely have to carry it around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,141 posts, read 15,241,897 times
Reputation: 9222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I keep it until it dies. I baby it too by having no apps, and keeping it connected to the power cord as much as possible. Mostly use it for music and texting anyway, so few calls and little Internet usage. Works for me. Never have had issues with it either. Purrs and rolls along year after year without complaint.
Keeping it connected "as much as possible" isn't 'babying it'. Neither is having no apps on it.
At least twice a month you should drain the battery. Batteries are kind of like muscles. If you don't use them they fade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 AM
 
1,708 posts, read 2,810,800 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Keeping it connected "as much as possible" isn't 'babying it'. Neither is having no apps on it.
At least twice a month you should drain the battery. Batteries are kind of like muscles. If you don't use them they fade.
Psh, only twice a month? The whole point of me going to an iPhone off my Pixel was the battery life. Believe you me, I worked my 11 Pro to the bone. Unplug it at 545am, maybe plug it back in around 11pm. I did plug it in when I was in the car though, since I use CarPlay. A week at Disney World and I was lucky for it to make it back to the resort at night with 20% battery left. I didn't need to carry around chargers though! My Apple Watch came back gasping a few nights, I think I made it back one night with 5% left on the battery. That one made me laugh. On the upside, after a year on the 11 Pro, the battery life was still as good as it ever was. I still use it as a spare for testing now. I'm lucky if I put that thing on a charger once every couple months now.

So much misinformation out there. No, batteries don't last longer if you keep them plugged in. That'll murder a battery faster than anything else, and who wants that on their conscience?! Use that sucker! What's the point of having a smartphone if you think adding apps will break it? Load 'er up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,141 posts, read 15,241,897 times
Reputation: 9222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
So much misinformation out there. No, batteries don't last longer if you keep them plugged in. That'll murder a battery faster than anything else, and who wants that on their conscience?! Use that sucker! What's the point of having a smartphone if you think adding apps will break it? Load 'er up!
LOL GMTA.
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it's true. "Batteries last xx amount of cycles... I haven't used ANY cycles. Why is it dead?"
User at old job had a laptop and it sat in his docking station for almost 2 years. He finally wants to take it somewhere... and it had like a 10 minute battery life. First time I witnessed that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2021, 01:31 AM
 
5,749 posts, read 1,842,907 times
Reputation: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Psh, only twice a month? The whole point of me going to an iPhone off my Pixel was the battery life. Believe you me, I worked my 11 Pro to the bone. Unplug it at 545am, maybe plug it back in around 11pm. I did plug it in when I was in the car though, since I use CarPlay. A week at Disney World and I was lucky for it to make it back to the resort at night with 20% battery left. I didn't need to carry around chargers though! My Apple Watch came back gasping a few nights, I think I made it back one night with 5% left on the battery. That one made me laugh. On the upside, after a year on the 11 Pro, the battery life was still as good as it ever was. I still use it as a spare for testing now. I'm lucky if I put that thing on a charger once every couple months now.

So much misinformation out there. No, batteries don't last longer if you keep them plugged in. That'll murder a battery faster than anything else, and who wants that on their conscience?! Use that sucker! What's the point of having a smartphone if you think adding apps will break it? Load 'er up!
iPhones have great battery life. The X and the XS were amazing. It's a shame that it dropped a bit in the 11 Pro. The iPhone 12 makes up a little on 4G but drops on 5G.



However, the Pixel 5 blows the iPhone away in battery life thanks to its massive 4,080-mAh and low power CPU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2021, 09:29 PM
 
18,510 posts, read 5,221,083 times
Reputation: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Psh, only twice a month? The whole point of me going to an iPhone off my Pixel was the battery life. Believe you me, I worked my 11 Pro to the bone. Unplug it at 545am, maybe plug it back in around 11pm. I did plug it in when I was in the car though, since I use CarPlay. A week at Disney World and I was lucky for it to make it back to the resort at night with 20% battery left. I didn't need to carry around chargers though! My Apple Watch came back gasping a few nights, I think I made it back one night with 5% left on the battery. That one made me laugh. On the upside, after a year on the 11 Pro, the battery life was still as good as it ever was. I still use it as a spare for testing now. I'm lucky if I put that thing on a charger once every couple months now.

So much misinformation out there. No, batteries don't last longer if you keep them plugged in. That'll murder a battery faster than anything else, and who wants that on their conscience?! Use that sucker! What's the point of having a smartphone if you think adding apps will break it? Load 'er up!
What is your current main phone...a 12 Pro ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top