Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you replace your phone?
When a new model comes out 0 0%
6 months to a year 1 1.39%
1 - 2 years 4 5.56%
2 - 3 years 12 16.67%
4 years or more 28 38.89%
I keep it til it dies 27 37.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I notice quite a few got a new phone when the battery started wearing out. I wonder why no one just got a new battery?

In many cases, people do not realize that the battery is actually replaceable. Since most of the high end phones no longer allow you just to pop off the back and replace the battery, people move on.

There are places that will replace a battery in most phones for a price far lower than the price of the phone. Example, a new battery for my Pixel 4XL is about $30, and if someone has the correct tools, and steady hands, they can replace the battery in a few hours at most (and that includes a few bucks for the waterproof double sided tape to reseal the back).

Or there are place that will do it for about 100 more (depends on where you live).

(A small tool kit with the appropriate tools for phones, computers, etc., can be purchased for less than 20 bucks and comes in handy for more than just phones.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
What is your current main phone...a 12 Pro ?
12 Pro. I got one at work to look into the 5G hype. Did me zero good since Apple doesn't support 5G if you dual SIM right now and won't until iOS 14.5 it looks like. I'm glad we found that out before my execs started asking for them, but I digress. Apple "did" technically inform people, but only if you searched for it and found their blurb. It's a nice phone, but if I'd known, I would have waited. My 11 Pro was solid.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
In many cases, people do not realize that the battery is actually replaceable. Since most of the high end phones no longer allow you just to pop off the back and replace the battery, people move on.

There are places that will replace a battery in most phones for a price far lower than the price of the phone. Example, a new battery for my Pixel 4XL is about $30, and if someone has the correct tools, and steady hands, they can replace the battery in a few hours at most (and that includes a few bucks for the waterproof double sided tape to reseal the back).

Or there are place that will do it for about 100 more (depends on where you live).

(A small tool kit with the appropriate tools for phones, computers, etc., can be purchased for less than 20 bucks and comes in handy for more than just phones.)
I know the batteries are replaceable, but by the time the battery needs to be replaced, the phone is usually meh anyway. We've replaced plenty of iPhone 6-8's with 11's and the battery life alone is worth the upgrade, especially since my users tend to live on their phones.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:04 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I know the batteries are replaceable, but by the time the battery needs to be replaced, the phone is usually meh anyway. We've replaced plenty of iPhone 6-8's with 11's and the battery life alone is worth the upgrade, especially since my users tend to live on their phones.

Never implied you didn't. I was just answering a question from another person about battery replacement.

As for replacement vs. new...depends on the person, depends on what they need and depends on how long the original battery lasted. Had a Moto Z1 that lasted a month or two over one year, so I opted to get out the tools and replace.
If my 4XL battery needs replacement in the next year, probably be worth it to me to just pay the 30 for a new battery and replace.
If in two years it goes; might be time to jump.
All relative to a persons needs.

But I am certainly not hanging around to make sure google or another company makes money just on updating when what I have works great for me.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
My iPhone 7 is four years old. It spends most of its life turned off in a drawer. I'll keep it till it doesn't turn on anymore. I already have battery issues with it, as it drains too fast. It's not a program issue, the phone says the battery need to be replaced. I'm content with it, I mainly use our house phone anyways. The speaker phone on my iPhone, or any iPhone, sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. I do have an inner ear issue so that may be part of it, though.
why bother having one then?

Old 03-10-2021, 06:27 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,223,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
As it says, about how long on average do you keep your phones?

I used to hold onto mine until they died but with the rise of non-user-replaceable batteries and the obscene cost to do a battery swap on an older device, I usually upgrade once the battery will no longer make it beyond a few hours. Thankfully my iPhone 11 Pro Max can still make it through the day with 40-60% remaining but I'm a pretty light phone user.
The problem that you're having is that you buy an iPhone. They control the parts and they even write their software to where it won't accept a part unless it's programmed to so those fees you pay to have batteries swapped in them is for the person to hack the Apple software. They do this to force you to go to Apple to pay them to fix the phone that shouldn't have failed in the first place. I've noticed the same thing with John Deere. I've worked on tractors for years and John Deere has built in some software that makes it to where you have to take it to the dealership and I repair that I would have charged $600 to do they're going to charge $8,000 to do it and with these date keeping tricks they do you're stuck.

I quit buying Apple products when I had to pay for a subscription to a service to get them to repair the device I paid them for the privilege of having.

My suggestion learn Android then you can buy a $200 phone that can last you three or four years like the one I have now and if there's a cracked screen or bad battery you can go to any shop that does repairs on them and pay $50 to get it fixed.

I wouldn't buy an Apple computer either same problem but worse. I had the same experience with a Microsoft computer so don't think I'm just hating on Apple I will never buy another Microsoft piece of hardware again.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:05 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I've had my iPhone 8 Plus for 3 years and will keep it until Apple no longer supports it, or until it quits working. It does everything I want it to, so there's no need to spend $1000 for a new one. Before that I had an iPhone 6, and before that an iPhone 4. I've had several other non-smart phones including a Motorola Razr, an LG of some sort (it had a full QWERTY keyboard), and a Nokia (back when the antennas stuck out of the top )

Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I am coming up on 3 years with my iPhone 8 Plus. I deep debating about an iPhone 12 Pro. Last night I had it in the shopping cart. I couldn’t quite make myself do it. Verizon was offering $118 trade in on my current phone. I like having a home button on my phone. My work phone is an iPhone SE.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
The problem that you're having is that you buy an iPhone. They control the parts and they even write their software to where it won't accept a part unless it's programmed to so those fees you pay to have batteries swapped in them is for the person to hack the Apple software. They do this to force you to go to Apple to pay them to fix the phone that shouldn't have failed in the first place. I've noticed the same thing with John Deere. I've worked on tractors for years and John Deere has built in some software that makes it to where you have to take it to the dealership and I repair that I would have charged $600 to do they're going to charge $8,000 to do it and with these date keeping tricks they do you're stuck.

I quit buying Apple products when I had to pay for a subscription to a service to get them to repair the device I paid them for the privilege of having.

My suggestion learn Android then you can buy a $200 phone that can last you three or four years like the one I have now and if there's a cracked screen or bad battery you can go to any shop that does repairs on them and pay $50 to get it fixed.

I wouldn't buy an Apple computer either same problem but worse. I had the same experience with a Microsoft computer so don't think I'm just hating on Apple I will never buy another Microsoft piece of hardware again.
I've been Anti-Apple since they came out with the first Mac, maybe even a bit before for similar reasons that you describe. PCs were available from different manufacturers. Apple held a monopoly and still does. That's why they still hold a much smaller market share with home computers and still do. That's why they charge an arm and a leg for their hardware.

Nothing against the devices themselves, they work.

It's the company itself I boycott, I hate their business practices. When many are going open source, they are the complete opposite.

Many don't see it or don't care. Sometimes when they come out with a new phones , they require a new charger and or charging cable, forcing you to spend more money. They get rid of the earphone jack, they force you to buy THEIR products to listen to music. It's a trend that hey, it makes a lot of money for THEM. The consumer comes last.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've been Anti-Apple since they came out with the first Mac, maybe even a bit before for similar reasons that you describe. PCs were available from different manufacturers. Apple held a monopoly and still does. That's why they still hold a much smaller market share with home computers and still do. That's why they charge an arm and a leg for their hardware.

Nothing against the devices themselves, they work.

It's the company itself I boycott, I hate their business practices. When many are going open source, they are the complete opposite.

Many don't see it or don't care. Sometimes when they come out with a new phones , they require a new charger and or charging cable, forcing you to spend more money. They get rid of the earphone jack, they force you to buy THEIR products to listen to music. It's a trend that hey, it makes a lot of money for THEM. The consumer comes last.
Apple sucks as a company, but the devices they make work. You don't have to worry about when you'll get updates, they update devices long past when Samsung would (for example), and you don't need to worry about compatibility. Some people prefer that. I like my iPhones because I just want them to work. I'm past the point of needing to hack my phones or customize them - if I want that I'll get another Android device. The only Androids worth a damn out there are Samsungs, and you're gonna pay as much for that as the iPhone. Regardless what anyone thinks, the $200 Android phones out there are not for power users. If you send texts and make calls, they're great. Use them for work? Forget it. We won't even buy the Samsung J phones for work.

That said, everyone rags on losing the headphone jack. Really - how many people out there actually use it? I never did - I always used bluetooth headphones. My Bose earbuds work just fine with my iPhones, just like the Airpods Pro work just fine with my iPhones. You can still use wired earphones with an adapter - even when we had the adapters no one used them. They switched to wireless headphones and called it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones