U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 02:53 PM

10,697 posts, read 11,580,409 times

Advertisements

My friend has the following plan and equipment
$50 UNLIMITED HIGH-SPEED |Hotspot Data 5GB | Google One 100GB
w/ Samsung Galaxy A10 | Released 2019, March 19
168g, 7.9mm thickness Android 9.0, up to Android 10, One UI 2.0
32GB storage, microSDXC | 4000mAh Li-Ion battery
6.2" screen | 720x1520 pixels (~81.6% screen-to-body ratio)

She is having trouble seeing the screen. MbyTM is advertising:

Metroby T-Mobile is advertising $15 a month for service
The Alcatel JOY TAB™ 2 is the affordable 4G LTE-enabled tablet with a super slim, lightweight design and long-lasting battery that keeps you and your family connected at home, and on the go.
Vibrant 8" display
Enhanced speaker with Smart Power Amplifier
3GB RAM / 32 GB ROM
2.0 GHz quad-core processor
Long-lasting 4080 mAh battery

Is this plan equipment worth it? I am worried that 8" is not that much different than 6.2"

They are offering for $150 + $15/month

LG G Pad 5 10.1 FHD 10.1" FHD (1920x1200) Display 8200 mAh Battery
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 01:59 PM

13,062 posts, read 15,170,579 times
LG all day.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,786,606 times
I'd go with the LG as a tablet over the Alcatel anyday, but you are aware that A10 is a phone and not a tablet, right? If she's replacing a phone with a tablet, there's issues that come with that - such as not being able to use the tablet as a phone.

If the tablet is a secondary device, go with the LG. Stay far, far away from the Alcatel. If she's replacing the phone with the tablet, she'd better figure out how she's going to make and receive calls before buying it.

As an aside, my personal choice would not be an Android tablet. I've had a fair number of them and all of them have been lacking, including the vaunted Samsung Tab S series. I gave up on Android tablets and switched to iPads. No arguing they're more expensive, but they last longer and have far better support. YMMV, but the Androids all started glitching out after a year or so, whether it be battery issues or software issues - mine were almost always software issues. The only Android tablet I didn't have issues with was my Nexus 10, and I suspect that's because it was pure Android, nothing riding on top of it.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

13,062 posts, read 15,170,579 times
Buddy has a Tab S7 I think it's called. Things awesome. Disagree with not liking the Sammy tabs. My Asus was junk. But I like Sammy's higher end ones.
Also, his was more then the the iPads. Pricing on iPads has come WAY down. Base model is $329!

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

10,697 posts, read 11,580,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I'd go with the LG as a tablet over the Alcatel anyday, but you are aware that A10 is a phone and not a tablet, right? If she's replacing a phone with a tablet, there's issues that come with that - such as not being able to use the tablet as a phone.

If the tablet is a secondary device, go with the LG. Stay far, far away from the Alcatel. If she's replacing the phone with the tablet, she'd better figure out how she's going to make and receive calls before buying it.
It is actually an A20 (I made a mistake) which is physicall 6.9 inches diagonal, but the screen is 6.4 inches diagonal. That's pretty big for a phone, but her cataracts prevent her from reading it at night.

I was hoping to get her a secondary device. I am thinking now that rather than pay for another cellular connection, I should get her a better tablet and connect via bluetooth just so she has a larger screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones