U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,800,107 times

Advertisements

It's funny, that LG doesn't do a thing for me. Couple years ago, maybe. Now? I look at that and go...meh. I've hit that point in life where I want my phone to just "work". I don't want to worry about updates, security fixes, GUI overlays, that sort. It's one of the reasons I went to a Pixel when I got rid of my S8. The UI was great - nice and clean, but the battery life was atrocious. My S8 wasn't bad, but the Samsung overlay annoyed me at times. Size is another thing for me, I hate big phones. My 12 Pro is borderline too big, the 11 Pro was a great size, could have been a touch smaller and I'd have been happy, but the battery life might've suffered on that one. Big phones = big battery, gotta have a tradeoff somewhere.

That's the biggest thing about the iPhone - you get updates on time, it works with everything else (all of my media is in Apple at this point, movies and music), the battery life is golden and on the off chance something happens to it, it's definitely handy just being able to walk into a Apple Store. It just works. That being said, I will never buy another Mac again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 AM

13,111 posts, read 15,213,794 times
Agree about Samsung's UI. I'm not loyal to any phone. This is why I Android among other reasons. Currently have a OnePlus. I'd switch to a Motorola or LG tomorrow. What's always been great about LG is audio.

I'm also that rare Androidian that is NOT anti Apple, batterygate not withstanding. I don't understand being anti-american company even if they make stuff in China. Apple employs so very many of us and we should be proud that Apple is based in and started in the US.
I just prefer the customization of Android.

Back On Topic: OP has an Android. Prefers not to spend a ton of money. Wants a good camera.
There is hands down no better suggestion that the newest LG.

A great second choice would be the Motorola Edge:
https://www.motorola.com/us/smartpho...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

/thread
I'm done here until OP comes back...

Old 03-03-2021, 07:59 AM

18,431 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
It's funny, that LG doesn't do a thing for me. Couple years ago, maybe. Now? I look at that and go...meh. I've hit that point in life where I want my phone to just "work". I don't want to worry about updates, security fixes, GUI overlays, that sort. It's one of the reasons I went to a Pixel when I got rid of my S8. The UI was great - nice and clean, but the battery life was atrocious. My S8 wasn't bad, but the Samsung overlay annoyed me at times. Size is another thing for me, I hate big phones. My 12 Pro is borderline too big, the 11 Pro was a great size, could have been a touch smaller and I'd have been happy, but the battery life might've suffered on that one. Big phones = big battery, gotta have a tradeoff somewhere.

That's the biggest thing about the iPhone - you get updates on time, it works with everything else (all of my media is in Apple at this point, movies and music), the battery life is golden and on the off chance something happens to it, it's definitely handy just being able to walk into a Apple Store. It just works. That being said, I will never buy another Mac again.
Using my LG as a phone, using the camera, and using the Whale browser from Korea (allows one webpage to be stretched over both screens) = just gravy to me. I bought it for the DAC and the tuning, and because I wanted this LG to be new. Eventually I plan to expand my Apple Music library to the maximum 100,000 items, with some of the items being videos, and I want to be able to download all of that onto a micro SD card I’ll put in the LG (so that I can play my library while offline). That will take up just under or perhaps over 1TB on a card, so I plan to buy a 1 or 2 TB card (the LG is rated to take up to a 2 TB card). I also eventually plan to get a used LG V30 and a used LG V20 (the 30 mostly for the different DAC tuning (and may try a subscription to Tidal), and the 20 for the removable battery and a few other reasons.

I also have an iPhone 2020 SE, and love that as well.I have the USB camera adapter for that and a 256GB big/normal sized USB stick. I plan to get the 512 Gb San Disk Ultra Fit (about the size of a little wireless mouse receiver) off of Amazon to use with the Lightning to USB Camera adapter as a portable iPhone offload. If the iPhone 12 ends up being the last iPhone with the lightening port, then I’ll eventually (at some point after Apple stops selling them) get a 512 GB 12 Pro Max.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,478,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy 5S which I purchased unlocked many moons ago from B & H. My service provider is Cricket Wireless (no complaints there)

Long story short, it's time for a new phone.

I haven't been happy with the quality of photos with my current phone so I was thinking of getting an iPhone 12. I spoke with the sales associate at Cricket and he steered me towards a Samsung S21 instead. He said that repairs/issues could be resolved easier than with the iPhone. For example, if the battery would need replacement I could go to any computer store with the Samsung and a tech could take care of it. With the iPhone I would have to send it away for repairs. The sales associate also said that the photo quality between the two brands would be comparable.

Besides the crappy photos, my big complaint with my phone is that the battery runs hot. I must confess that I spend hours on it playing my games.

Pros/Cons anyone? I'm not too concerned with high price tag of the iPhone, though if I can get the same quality for a lower price with a Samsung that would be a win-win.
Other than the things you mention (Photos mainly), what do you use your phone for?

Others here are posting about the phones THEY would want or alrady have, not what YOU need or want or can afford.

Given the fact you are still using an S5, I assume your needs on not the same as most of the others here.

By the way, Samsung and Apple are no longer the only players in town. Back when the S4 and S5 came out, they were thought of as the higher end bigger players but no more. There are plenty of others. You no longer have to spend north of $500 and I'm pretty sure you don't need a dual screen phone.

We need feedback from you to make better recommendations. What is your budget and what do you use it for?

Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Other than the things you mention (Photos mainly), what do you use your phone for?
Sigh...
We have addressed his\her number once concern: photos.

Quote:
Others here are posting about the phones THEY would want or alrady have, not what YOU need or want or can afford.
OP said cost wasn't TRULY an option. So we're giving him\her options.

Quote:
Given the fact you are still using an S5, I assume your needs on not the same as most of the others here.
He\she wants a good camera. That's all he\she wants. We already know.

Quote:
By the way, Samsung and Apple are no longer the only players in town. Back when the S4 and S5 came out, they were thought of as the higher end bigger players but no more. There are plenty of others. You no longer have to spend north of $500 and I'm pretty sure you don't need a dual screen phone.
The dual screen that's $499. And you can easily remove one screen and not use it.
Or the $499 Moto Edge.

Quote:
We need feedback from you to make better recommendations. What is your budget and what do you use it for?
Camera. Willing to buy the 12, but was told to get the cheaper Sammy. We have this information. And this is pretty much why I said this:

Quote:

Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM

S5 came out when? I looked it up. It was 2014.

If she has been fine with that, it's safe to assume she is not a power user. She can go out and buy the S20 if cost was no object. It's $1000 without a contract. Does it have a great camera? Yes. I can think of other phones that have great cameras for much less especially when compared to the S5.

Here's one. Moto G9 power, $200, not a $1000. Can it do what she needs (photos)? absolutely. Can it do everything else she needs? We have no idea since we do not know anything else. But I can pretty much assume that since she's still on an S5.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...ower-10574.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Good idea.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:57 PM

And she keeps her phones a long time. For these reason alone she needs a flagship.

S20 STARTS at $699.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And she keeps her phones a long time. For these reason alone she needs a flagship.

S20 STARTS at $699.
it's actually only $34 a month with AT&T right now but we all know that comes with a catch. They don't even mention what plan and how much. Pretty sure it comes with an early termination fee.

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/samsu...smic-gray.html

Best Buy has it for about the same and the OP can compare the price of the one associated with a carrier $33 a month or unlocked, which is $950.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6400268

With the $200 phone, no contract, AND you can buy one every couple of years and no termination fee of course.

It's the OP's choice.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:17 PM

1,970 posts, read 923,060 times
Quote:

S20 STARTS at $699.
If photo quality is important and she keeps her phone for a long time, the Pixel 5 is a good choice to consider.

Better photo quality.
Longer lasting battery.
Longer Android Support.
Better 5G band support.
Newer generation hardware.

Also $699... but at the cost of lower end GPU than you find in the Samsung S20 and Samsung S21. So if you're into hardcore gaming, the Pixel 5 is not a good choice.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 PM

7,513 posts, read 935,685 times
OP is back....

My main use is

1) photos
2) games (which I did mention but you all missed)
3) social media

I live alone. I have no social life. But between the games and social media I'm on my phone A LOT. Aside from the camera, one of the main reasons I want a new phone is the game that I'm into keeps crashing so I figure it's the phone.

I'd rather pay for the phone up front--kind of "one and done"--rather than put it on a payment plan.

I'm not one to upgrade to new gadgets every other year so I consider the purchase of a new phone a real investment that should last me another 6 years.

The reason I'm leaning toward an iPhone is that I've 'been there and done that" with the Samsung, not real happy a phone that runs hot and has rapid battery drainage, so I'd like to try something new. My daughter has an iPhone a few years old and seems to like it.

Google Pixel would not work for me even though picture quality is stellar from what I've read. I'm a little suspicious of LGs--I've seen mixed reviews on their other products. And I'd like a phone with a telephoto option and works well in low light.

Anything else you need to know?

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 03-03-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones