U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 06:18 PM

7,513 posts, read 935,685 times

Advertisements

I have a Samsung Galaxy 5S which I purchased unlocked many moons ago from B & H. My service provider is Cricket Wireless (no complaints there)

Long story short, it's time for a new phone.

I haven't been happy with the quality of photos with my current phone so I was thinking of getting an iPhone 12. I spoke with the sales associate at Cricket and he steered me towards a Samsung S21 instead. He said that repairs/issues could be resolved easier than with the iPhone. For example, if the battery would need replacement I could go to any computer store with the Samsung and a tech could take care of it. With the iPhone I would have to send it away for repairs. The sales associate also said that the photo quality between the two brands would be comparable.

Besides the crappy photos, my big complaint with my phone is that the battery runs hot. I must confess that I spend hours on it playing my games.

Pros/Cons anyone? I'm not too concerned with high price tag of the iPhone, though if I can get the same quality for a lower price with a Samsung that would be a win-win.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:18 PM

2,636 posts, read 846,197 times
If you want to stay Android, I have literally zero bad to say about my LG, which I also bought unlocked from B&H. The current top-end LG phones are reasonably priced there right now, almost to the point where I wonder if they're getting out of the biz.

Very good HDR camera.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 1,813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy 5S which I purchased unlocked many moons ago from B & H. My service provider is Cricket Wireless (no complaints there)

Long story short, it's time for a new phone.

I haven't been happy with the quality of photos with my current phone so I was thinking of getting an iPhone 12. I spoke with the sales associate at Cricket and he steered me towards a Samsung S21 instead. He said that repairs/issues could be resolved easier than with the iPhone. For example, if the battery would need replacement I could go to any computer store with the Samsung and a tech could take care of it. With the iPhone I would have to send it away for repairs. The sales associate also said that the photo quality between the two brands would be comparable.

Besides the crappy photos, my big complaint with my phone is that the battery runs hot. I must confess that I spend hours on it playing my games.

Pros/Cons anyone? I'm not too concerned with high price tag of the iPhone, though if I can get the same quality for a lower price with a Samsung that would be a win-win.
If you care about photos, the best phones are:

Google Pixel 3, 3a, 4, 4a, 4a 5g, 5 (All Android)
Apple iPhone 11 Pro, 12, 12 Pro (All iOS)

The Google Pixel is the best of the selection for photos, but it is not as powerful (or as expensive) as iPhones.

The iPhone 12 Mini is a great value for the price if you want an iPhone... but it doesn't have the photo capabilities of the more expensive variants (but it's not bad either).

The Samsung S21 is a great phone, but falls behind the Pixels and iPhones.

I wouldn't say replacing a battery is easier or hard on any of them and they all require technicians.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:17 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,115,521 times

Old 03-02-2021, 06:59 AM

960 posts, read 338,013 times
i always advise android users not to swap to Apple and vice versa, if I were you I would not get an Apple, they are great phones but your comfort level and experience seems to have been with Samsung. As stated above you wont beat the Pixel for photos and in fact you may prefer the clean Android it has versus the bloatware and extras that, personally I find useless and annoying, that come from Samsung

Old 03-02-2021, 07:50 AM

13,111 posts, read 15,213,794 times
Disagree with TexasLawyer about the Samsung being behind ANY phone right now. The latest Samsung Galaxy has the best camera on any phone right now.
Here's the thing though that everyone seems to have missed: any phone you buy, even a mid ranger, is going to have a camera that smokes your S5. Camera's have come a long way and the marginal differences between ANY flagship camera out today is nothing you're going to notice. You could buy the S10 and it will smoke the S5.

Actually have to agree with Kempro, that LG is probably the smart play right now. $500?!?!?
https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg...nq-dual-screen
There are rumors that LG is exiting the phone market. I wouldn't let that stop me from an INSANE deal on a flagship phone: 4,000mah battery, Snapdragon 855... and the absolutely uncompromising audio that LG is known for?

This should be your new phone.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:55 AM

5,747 posts, read 1,813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree with TexasLawyer about the Samsung being behind ANY phone right now. The latest Samsung Galaxy has the best camera on any phone right now.
Here's the thing though that everyone seems to have missed: any phone you buy, even a mid ranger, is going to have a camera that smokes your S5. Camera's have come a long way and the marginal differences between ANY flagship camera out today is nothing you're going to notice. You could buy the S10 and it will smoke the S5.

Actually have to agree with Kempro, that LG is probably the smart play right now. $500?!?!?
There are rumors that LG is exiting the phone market. I wouldn't let that stop me from an INSANE deal on a flagship phone: 4,000mah battery, Snapdragon 855... and the absolutely uncompromising audio that LG is known for?

I realized that my post was mostly about photography but I did not qualify my statement around the Samsung S21. I meant that the Galaxy S21 doesn't hold up in photography specifically. It looks good on paper, but in terms of actual results, Google and Apple have done a better job -- especially as it comes down to computational photography.

Everyone has their own preferences, however.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:34 PM

18,428 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Yep.

I have this phone and case, and I love it....and I paid even less...under $450 at Best Buy a few months ago.

Unless things have changed, LG only sells the factory unlocked version on their own website (the link you provided) and three others....Best Buy, B & H, and Walmart.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:31 PM

13,111 posts, read 15,213,794 times
Good lord, I don't even need a phone and want to buy that. It's that good of a deal.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 AM

14,095 posts, read 21,809,940 times
I love iPhones, but the S21 is a good phone. I would get that if i were in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones