Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 05:19 PM

3,418 posts, read 1,363,435 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this is a stupid, ignorant question, but I used to work at a job that paid for our cell phones, so I never had to pay a dime for a Smartphone before. But obviously companies paying for your phone comes at a price... your boss has the right contact you about work during your time off and your obligated to answer. But anyways, a couple of years ago, I got a new job and this company doesn't pay for cell phones. I have to pay myself and in a way, that's a good thing since I'm not obligated to use my phone for work purposes. I was allowed to keep my old iPhone from my old job but it's a iPhone 6s, which is so outdated and the battery was giving me trouble. So I ended up shopping for a new phone and am shocked to see that these are CRAZY expensive!! If I get the latest and greatest iPhone 13, it would cost me $800, not counting any fees and taxes!! A good way to save would be to go down a generation or two to save another $100 or so, but that's still very expensive!

How the heck do people afford these things? I see so many people, even those with minimum wage jobs, sporting these Smartphones, so I always thought these devices are more affordable. But they are ridiculously overpriced! I mean, $800 for just a PHONE???!!! That's beyond insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 05:45 PM

47 posts, read 33,315 times
You pay the phone off in monthly payments and not purchase it outright.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,478,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid, ignorant question, but I used to work at a job that paid for our cell phones, so I never had to pay a dime for a Smartphone before. But obviously companies paying for your phone comes at a price... your boss has the right contact you about work during your time off and your obligated to answer. But anyways, a couple of years ago, I got a new job and this company doesn't pay for cell phones. I have to pay myself and in a way, that's a good thing since I'm not obligated to use my phone for work purposes. I was allowed to keep my old iPhone from my old job but it's a iPhone 6s, which is so outdated and the battery was giving me trouble. So I ended up shopping for a new phone and am shocked to see that these are CRAZY expensive!! If I get the latest and greatest iPhone 13, it would cost me $800, not counting any fees and taxes!! A good way to save would be to go down a generation or two to save another $100 or so, but that's still very expensive!

How the heck do people afford these things? I see so many people, even those with minimum wage jobs, sporting these Smartphones, so I always thought these devices are more affordable. But they are ridiculously overpriced! I mean, $800 for just a PHONE???!!! That's beyond insane!
It’s not “just a phone”. It is a computer, camera, gps, phone book and entertainment center that happens to place and receive telephone calls.

New iPhones range from $400 and up. Seems you are looking at the most expensive and painful route. You can pick up an iPhone 11, which is almost as good as the 13 for $500 if you pay all of it upfront. I have the 11. You can also go used if you dare.

The 6s was $700 new.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It’s not “just a phone”. It is a computer, camera, gps, phone book and entertainment center that happens to place and receive telephone calls.

New iPhones range from $400 and up. Seems you are looking at the most expensive and painful route. You can pick up an iPhone 11, which is almost as good as the 13 for $500 if you pay all of it upfront. I have the 11. You can also go used if you dare.

The 6s was $700 new.
Yeah but why buy an iPhone 11? If you’re getting a new phone, why not get the latest model? It’s more future proof!

And $500 is still a lot. Goodness, flip phones never used to cost nearly half that much!

Old 10-28-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah but why buy an iPhone 11? If you’re getting a new phone, why not get the latest model? It’s more future proof!

And $500 is still a lot. Goodness, flip phones never used to cost nearly half that much!
The 11 is good for another 5 years. But whatever, spend the extra $300 and enjoy the future!

Seems you should just get a flip phone. For a $100 you can get top of the line.

$500 is nothing for a flagship phone that will go the distance for over three years

Old 10-28-2021, 07:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,803,941 times
My device's cost is divided up into interest-free monthly payments over the two-year service contract I signed when I upgraded to it. I usually get a device that's one or two iterations behind the latest model, as the cost is much less, but the device is almost the same, so it comes out to less than $20 added on to each of my cell phone service bills. Even if I got the newest phone it'd only be like $30 extra dollars per bill, which isn't a hardship on a middle class income.

It is necessary to have a fancy phone? Nah. Could the money be put toward something more sensible? Sure. But it's not a massive expenditure over the life of the device, either.

$400-800 sounds like more of a steal when you consider that you're actually buying a tablet computer that makes phone calls, not just a phone.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:42 PM

Do people actually buy news phones that are one or two generations behind? I imagine people might be stunted when they find out that I have a new phone and it’s not the latest model…

Old 10-28-2021, 07:54 PM

61,197 posts, read 86,065,277 times
Quote:
Phones can cost way more.
Samsung Fold cost $2000
and CNET wrote:
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G's $2,000 price tag isn't actually that bad...

Not to mention those:
https://www.tycoonstory.com/market/t...he-world-2021/

But you don't need expensive phone to communicate. All extras are "want" not "need".
You can buy one of those:
https://www.wired.com/story/best-cheap-phones/
Or just a prepaid phone.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Do people actually buy news phones that are one or two generations behind? I imagine people might be stunted when they find out that I have a new phone and it’s not the latest model…
Many, even most people buy older model new phones. Prior to 4-5 years ago, the next model was a big step up. Not the case any more. The smartphone has matured. Take a two year old flagship phone from any company. The current model is a little faster. Camera slightly better. my wife’s 12 is not noticeably faster than my 11. Camera seems about the same. No one is advising owners of an 11 or 12 to upgrade to the 13. If you own a Xs or older, getting a 12 or 13 makes sense.

Now when I got my iPhone 7, it was a nice step up from my 6. Compared to my 7, the 8 was no big deal. Thus the mature smartphone.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Many, even most people buy older model new phones. Prior to 4-5 years ago, the next model was a big step up. Not the case any more. The smartphone has matured. Take a two year old flagship phone from any company. The current model is a little faster. Camera slightly better. my wife’s 12 is not noticeably faster than my 11. Camera seems about the same. No one is advising owners of an 11 or 12 to upgrade to the 13. If you own a Xs or older, getting a 12 or 13 makes sense.

Now when I got my iPhone 7, it was a nice step up from my 6. Compared to my 7, the 8 was no big deal. Thus the mature smartphone.
That’s interesting. I always heard that when it comes to iPhone, getting the latest and greatest is the best way to go.

But I’m sure as these phones do get better, the upgrade becomes minimal because really, how much better can you really get? I remember when I got my iPhone 5. After a year, it became very sluggish and the battery started to lose charge very quickly. Then in 2016, I was upgraded to the iPhone 6s and I was able to own it for 5 years before the battery started losing charge quickly. It’s amazing how much better and more durable the battery was compared to the 5. Not to mention that it never became sluggish in speed like the 5 did. The 6s was a big step up from the 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones