Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:07 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times

Advertisements

Yesterday both my iPhone and my husband’s iPhone (AT&T) lost all network connection at more or less the same time yesterday morning. We travelled a lot yesterday and neither one of us had any service at all on our phones. Given that we both had the problem at the same time (on different phones) we naturally assumed there was a local outage. When we got home in the evening and got on our WiFi we were surprised to learn that there was no such outage.

So, my husband called AT&T support to try to figure out what was going wrong for us. Frustratingly, they seemed to completely ignore the fact that it happened with both our phones at the same time and led my husband through 1 and 1/2 hours of diagnostics on his phone only. Finally after having attempted to reboot my husband’s phone and check various things to no avail, they said that they would fix something on their end and all we had to do is wait 3 hours, reboot our phones and we would have our connection back.

I was skeptical and in fact, no, we waited at least 3 hours (overnight), then rebooted our phones and nope, no connection.

So, looks like we are going to waste another few hours dealing with this.

Since apparently AT&T either hires stupid people for tech support or hires smart people but doesn’t allow them to use their brains (you must read off this script), does anyone have any clue as to why both our phones should have completely lost all network service at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:14 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
With some phones, if you lose signal, you have to restart it to get it back. There are a few areas where I lose signal completely and I have to restart to regain signal.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:47 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
With some phones, if you lose signal, you have to restart it to get it back. There are a few areas where I lose signal completely and I have to restart to regain signal.
Yes, of course. We must have rebooted our phones 10 times. Plus, as I said, my husband went through 1 1/2 hours of diagnostics with tech support. Nada. Completely nothing for either of us. And it can’t possibly be a hardware problem, or, more to the point, it is extraordinarily unlikely it is a hardware problem (like bad SIM card) because we have different phones and they both lost all connection at the same time.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yes, of course. We must have rebooted our phones 10 times. Plus, as I said, my husband went through 1 1/2 hours of diagnostics with tech support. Nada. Completely nothing for either of us. And it can’t possibly be a hardware problem, or, more to the point, it is extraordinarily unlikely it is a hardware problem (like bad SIM card) because we have different phones and they both lost all connection at the same time.
So they are still not working?

Old 12-12-2021, 10:08 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
My sister just bought a new phone with A T&T and their techs have no idea why it only works part time. I endured them for years for internet when they were are only option and they are awful. It would be out for a week at a time. They had one guy for a 60 mile area.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Sometimes you almost have to have tech support experience just to deal with tech support. There is nothing wrong with two phones that suddenly stopped working. So if you have made sure it's not a coverage issue, then AT&T has to fix it. I think the next step is to request an escalation, supervisor, or whatever is required to get you access to the smarter people. And don't be afraid to threaten cancelling your service because a service that stopped working on two phones at the same time ultimately has no value to you.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Sometimes you almost have to have tech support experience just to deal with tech support. There is nothing wrong with two phones that suddenly stopped working. So if you have made sure it's not a coverage issue, then AT&T has to fix it. I think the next step is to request a supervisor and don't be afraid to threaten cancelling your service because a service that stopped working on two phones at the same time ultimately has no value to you.
That would depend if they got the phone through AT&T and if the phone is in warranty still.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:10 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
That would depend if they got the phone through AT&T and if the phone is in warranty still.
No, again, two phones won't suddenly fail at the exact same time. It's not a phone problem. That is the whole point.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
No, again, two phones won't suddenly fail at the exact same time. It's not a phone problem. That is the whole point.
Gotcha, I read it that you mean that AT&T had to fix the phones.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:10 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post

That's why we have Androids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones