Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 12:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times

Advertisements

The automated systems which are suppose to alert me to problems the machines are having didn't reach me last night when I was asleep. The alerts got to others, fortunately, but I am wondering how to do things so I know, too.

The problem is that living where I live, cell phones don't work that hot. Even with a booster in the house, I may or may not get all the ping ping pings of something bad happening.

I am thinking of maybe I should park my phone upstairs in the Loft, the highest occupied part of the house, and then maybe I will get my alert messages, maybe get enough of them to stir me from my slumber in my room before.

The problem is, though, that my smart phone is my alarm clock (who doesn't do it that way) and I certainly need that next to me. So-o, go old fashion and buy a dedicated alarm clock (do they even make them these days?). Or maybe upgrade my other cell phone number, currently in a desk as a Razor, to a smart phone and use that, assign that number its new role as the house cell phone, doing whatever else?

Equally, I am thinking of stationing a laptop on my bedroom desk, with my email activated, so if emergency messages start coming in, those pings may rouse me. It would not be "simple" for I would be trailing another Ethernet cord from the modem, through the living room, under the door but it is workable.....assuming that 6 bedroom cats don't see it as something to play with.

FINALLY, there is one other issue. I suspect why I didn't hear them last night when they called and left a message on my answering machine is because I have tuned out night messages due to all the spam calls, like the Governor. The systems we may develop may become useless if spam ruins it....anyway to get around that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 04:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,605,766 times
Given your talk about Ethernet cables, do you not have WiFi available at home? If you do, consider connecting phone via WiFi when home, so you can keep phone near bed. While connected via WiFi, should not have connection problems like weak cellular signal.

If no WiFi now, see about getting a WiFi router.

This however does not help with the spam calls.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Given your talk about Ethernet cables, do you not have WiFi available at home? If you do, consider connecting phone via WiFi when home, so you can keep phone near bed. While connected via WiFi, should not have connection problems like weak cellular signal.

If no WiFi now, see about getting a WiFi router.

This however does not help with the spam calls.

Ummmm, no on the wifi for a variety of reasons. Real quick:

A: I do not want to bathe my home in radio energy or at least no more than it is.
B: For security reasons.
C: Wifi is counter to my philosophy, imagery of living out on the frontier, say 1950's Outback Australia.
D: Wifi is slower than Ethernet. I am on satellite Internet and my speed is at best 1.5 mps but often, it is like 300 kps when I am hooked to the satellite router on Ethernet. It would even be slower on wifi and with that beginning speed, that is a heck of a drop.

Thank you, though.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:01 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,586,676 times
A half-decent wi-fi router will handle 1.5 m with no loss whatsoever.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
A half-decent wi-fi router will handle 1.5 m with no loss whatsoever.
Point noted......but there is no wifi at this house.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:40 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
You seriously need to consider it. Many cellphones these days have the ability to run on a wifi network instead of the cellular network. They don't require much bandwidth either so you DON'T need a hyper fast internet connection. The reason this became a thing (and why some people won't even buy phones that cannot do this).,.. is precisely because of people like you that have reception issues.
It pains me to see you post about not wanting.... radio frequencies bathing your house... when this is the exact solution you need.
Having a wifi router in your house is no more dangerous then having.... a cb radio in your house. You can even set a schedule to only use it at night.

Yes, they still sell clock radios, btw.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:43 AM

Points noted.....calm the wifi option, I am not going to have it in my house. For if, in anything else, I am trying to curtail my Internet addiction, not increase it. What other possibilities are there?

Old 12-20-2021, 08:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ummmm, no on the wifi for a variety of reasons. Real quick:

A: I do not want to bathe my home in radio energy or at least no more than it is.
B: For security reasons.
C: Wifi is counter to my philosophy, imagery of living out on the frontier, say 1950's Outback Australia.
D: Wifi is slower than Ethernet. I am on satellite Internet and my speed is at best 1.5 mps but often, it is like 300 kps when I am hooked to the satellite router on Ethernet. It would even be slower on wifi and with that beginning speed, that is a heck of a drop.

Thank you, though.

A: A cordless phone used with a landline uses the same frequency which is 2.4ghz. Bluetooth on your phone does too. Same radio energy.

B: Security reasons? Out in the middle of nowhere? Have a lot of suspicious looking hacker types driving by your house? Even if you did, there are no security reasons that are valid. I can assure you on that.

C: is the clencher here. Really? You want modern conveniences but you don't want them at the same time?
Why have the cell phone? That in itself is "bathing" you with energy and you put it right up to your ear.

D: Wifi is slower than some ethernet. In your case it would not matter one bit.
1.5mbps or 300k or whatever, is going to stay at that speed. There would be not bottleneck. I can elaborate but I don't think it's necessary.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:04 AM

I don't use cordless phones, or blue tooth, either. See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...e-romance.html

Please don't try to convince me (or argue with me) of wifi.....it's not an answer.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-20-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-20-2021, 09:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't use cordless phones, or blue tooth, either. See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...e-romance.html

Please don't try to convince me (or argue with me) of wifi.....it's not an answer.
Yeah but you use cell phones. It's the EXACT same kind of energy you are trying to avoid and again right in your house right up to your ear. The radio energy is ALREADY in your house.

Convince? Never. I wouldn't waste my time. I still like to point out falsehoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones