Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 03:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times

Advertisements

I have been a Verizon customer for 15 years, and I am starting to realize how I am being robbed a $35 upgrade fee every time I upgrade to a new phone, whether or not I am paying for a new phone in full. Also, if I were to trade in my old paid in full phone to Verizon, they give you a monthly credit (for the trade in value of it) for up to 36 months. I understand the upgrade fee for new customers. But why should current customers continue to pay a $35 upgrade fee every time they purchase a new phone, especially paying off a new phone in full?

I found out that after I upgrade to a new phone while getting a credit for my traded in phone, if I start a new contract with Verizon and I pay off the new phone early, Verizon cancels the credits for my old traded in phone. Therefore, I stop getting credits for my traded in old phone. Is this the case for all carriers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 03:54 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Have you shopped services?

IME, Verizon has the highest costs, which they try to justify due to better network. And, ATT and TMobile have expanded to where their networks' coverage are quite competitive.

It just might be time to jump to a competitor.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
I worked as an At&t customer service rep for almost 15 years and they have always had equipment upgrade fees. CS reps were always told that the upgrade fee was not to be waived once it showed up on the statement. Store reps had that option but it was strongly discouraged by management. This is nothing new, nor is it limited to a single carrier. I have had service with At&t, Verizon, T-Mobile and the former Sprint.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I worked as an At&t customer service rep for almost 15 years and they have always had equipment upgrade fees. CS reps were always told that the upgrade fee was not to be waived once it showed up on the statement. Store reps had that option but it was strongly discouraged by management. This is nothing new, nor is it limited to a single carrier. I have had service with At&t, Verizon, T-Mobile and the former Sprint.
Thanks for sharing. I was hoping that one of the other carriers didn't charge fees like Verizon. I guess it is what it is then.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Have you shopped services?

IME, Verizon has the highest costs, which they try to justify due to better network. And, ATT and TMobile have expanded to where their networks' coverage are quite competitive.

It just might be time to jump to a competitor.
Mike no I haven't shopped services. I was hoping someone would give me good news.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:53 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Mike no I haven't shopped services. I was hoping someone would give me good news.
I had a line item for activation of my new phone at TMobile.
It was more than $35.
But, overall, the move saved me enough money, I just didn't fuss. I don't think he was going to waive it.

I get more focused on the bottom line than line items.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:41 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
I dropped Verizon and switched to Spectrum. I have one line and pay $14 for unlimited voice and messages and 1 Gig of data. That $14 is all in- no additional fees or taxes or charges. Only requirement is to be a Spectrum internet customer.

Each additional gig is $14 unless you use more than 3 gigs and then you want the unlimited data plan at $30 per line.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:52 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,711,471 times
I know Verizon and AT&T do it.

That said...I haven't bought a phone direct from Verizon in a long, long time. My Samsungs I traded back to Samsung and bought the new one outright, and my Pixel I bought outright from Google, trading in my Samsung.

When I switched to iPhones, I just buy them straight from Apple and trade in/sell the old one. Less hassle, and I'm not dealing with Verizon to activate a new phone. Nor am I paying the weird upgrade/equipment fees.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I dropped Verizon and switched to Spectrum. I have one line and pay $14 for unlimited voice and messages and 1 Gig of data. That $14 is all in- no additional fees or taxes or charges. Only requirement is to be a Spectrum internet customer.

Each additional gig is $14 unless you use more than 3 gigs and then you want the unlimited data plan at $30 per line.
Lillie. I do have Spectrum's internet service. I might have to check their cellular service out. Thanks for the good news lol.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I know Verizon and AT&T do it.

That said...I haven't bought a phone direct from Verizon in a long, long time. My Samsungs I traded back to Samsung and bought the new one outright, and my Pixel I bought outright from Google, trading in my Samsung.

When I switched to iPhones, I just buy them straight from Apple and trade in/sell the old one. Less hassle, and I'm not dealing with Verizon to activate a new phone. Nor am I paying the weird upgrade/equipment fees.
Nice. Thanks for the buy directly from the cell manufacturer tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones