Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 09:05 AM

2,283 posts, read 2,090,116 times

Advertisements

I just upgrade android version, now how to get rid of the three lines icon(Swipe left to access Google app)? I mean the one in red rectangular (screenshot).

I don't mean disabling it, I want to remove it from home screen. At the meanwhile, I don't want to disable Google app completely, I am using Google search widget, or something other google things, disabling Google app will make them disappear too. I only want to remove Swipe left to access Google App from home screen.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Android: How to remove Swipe left to access Google app from home screen?-home-screenshot.jpg   Android: How to remove Swipe left to access Google app from home screen?-op-home-screen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 11:33 AM

16,448 posts, read 19,462,446 times
What phone are you using?

Old 12-24-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What phone are you using?
https://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-Dual-...dp/B07XHHKMKV/

OnePlus 7T. Old phone, maybe more than 3 years.

There is no such issue before android upgrade. I am sure there was other android upgrade before, it can be easily removed somewhere in setting. But not this time, no idea how to get rid of it completely.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,518,278 times
go launcher ?

Old 12-26-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
go launcher ?
What do you mean?

Old 12-26-2022, 01:05 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,518,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
What do you mean?
using an alternate launcher may allow yoo to configure your home screens as much as yoo like.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
using an alternate launcher .
How to do that?

Old 12-26-2022, 06:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,033,246 times
1. only medium hard:

when you phone is on the neutral, home Desktop:
a. pinch (make smaller by squeezing) the desktop wallpaper itself. That will change the view to be a translucent overview of all four of your desktops. Swipe left to get to the one on the left (that you dont want). In my case, there is a toggle button (on the top right) to hide this unwanted, 4th desktop which is to the left of your home screen. Your widget settings on the (lower right) may have other tricks for deleting this unwanted "fourth desktop".

2. escalation, more difficult:
if that doesnt work for you...

your phone gets its apps from the official google Play Store?

Go into the Play Store or Settings/Apps on your phone. uninstall "Flipboard". uninstall the latest update to Google (itself, its 566MB on my Android 11 phone).

Go into Settings/Apps menu and Force Stop, and then Disable the Apps you dont want. This may or may not work. Avoid "hiding" Apps, becaues this merely removes them from your visible menus, it doesnt remove them from your eMMC (hard disk, in Windows PC talk).

----------------------------

the fact that you cant figure out how to turn "it" off, is due to some recent updates, where Google thinks or imagines that it owns your device and certain apps or menus or desktops are mandatory, and it intentionally hides or obscures where to turn it off or uninstall it.

to get rid of the fourth desktop, you might have to delete or move all the icons off that desktop, before you are presented with the option to delete that desktop. Android is tricky & irrational that way.

Also, its not just Google. Your OEM (say Samsung) may have their own mandatory bloatware, and your carrier (say ATT) may have their own bloatware that's hard to uninstall. In my case, Samsung has their own version of Flipboard, and I can Force Stop and Disable it, but I cant uninstall it. I would have to ROOT the phone to truly get rid of it.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:53 AM

16,448 posts, read 19,462,446 times
STOP. You don't need a launcher. There is a setting to turn that off. Push and hold on the home screen>settings. It's in there somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones