Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times

Advertisements

Well this is why I have an iPhone:
1. I can check my personal email
2. I can check my work email
3. I can check how my patients are doing
4. I can check the weather also see realtime picture around me to see the weather
5. I can take pictures if I am in an accident
6. I can take a picture if I see something cool or with my family.
7. I can see xrays of my patients
8. I can control my computer from anywhere with my iPhone
9. I don't need to take my laptop when I travel, the iPhone would do anything a computer/laptop can do
10. I check new the news
11. I can record conversations
12. I can check rest. around me.
13. I can buy tickets for a movie or anything
14. I have a translator for almost every language u can think of
15. I can post on this forum with my iPhone
16. I have GPS
17. I get alerts with my stocks
18. I can check my stocks, even look them with charts using yahoo
19. I can pay anything(credit cards, cars loans, etc)
20. Check my account
21. Use mint to help me manage my money
22. I can see radar to see where in real time is raining
23. You will never get lost ever again
24. You can see movies
25. You can see online videos
26. You can listen to music
27. You can record videos
28. You can use it as a external hard-drive and let other people connect and download your files
29. You can see menu to see the prices of a rest.
30. You can listen to radio over the Internet
31. Anything that a computer can do the iPhone can
32. The list goes on and on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Well this is why I have an iPhone:
1. I can check my personal email
2. I can check my work email
3. I can check how my patients are doing
4. I can check the weather also see realtime picture around me to see the weather
5. I can take pictures if I am in an accident
6. I can take a picture if I see something cool or with my family.
7. I can see xrays of my patients
8. I can control my computer from anywhere with my iPhone
9. I don't need to take my laptop when I travel, the iPhone would do anything a computer/laptop can do
10. I check new the news
11. I can record conversations
12. I can check rest. around me.
13. I can buy tickets for a movie or anything
14. I have a translator for almost every language u can think of
15. I can post on this forum with my iPhone
16. I have GPS
17. I get alerts with my stocks
18. I can check my stocks, even look them with charts using yahoo
19. I can pay anything(credit cards, cars loans, etc)
20. Check my account
21. Use mint to help me manage my money
22. I can see radar to see where in real time is raining
23. You will never get lost ever again
24. You can see movies
25. You can see online videos
26. You can listen to music
27. You can record videos
28. You can use it as a external hard-drive and let other people connect and download your files
29. You can see menu to see the prices of a rest.
30. You can listen to radio over the Internet
31. Anything that a computer can do the iPhone can
32. The list goes on and on
You can do all of that with a windows mobile based phone, which have been out for years. Also, there are more apps available on windows based phones. Oh, and too bad you can't use the GPS with whatever program such as tomtom or others as you see fit.

Don't you think you should be able to install whatever programs you want, on a device that you paid for and own? Instead, Apple controls it. That's the main reason why I don't like it, but they are going to have to step it up big time once the Nvidia based phone comes out, that phone outputs 720p video through HDMI

Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
You can do all of that with a windows mobile based phone, which have been out for years.
The web-browser is not the same.

Quote:
Also, there are more apps available on windows based phones. Oh, and too bad you can't use the GPS with whatever program such as tomtom or others as you see fit.
Who said that?? We can use it with yelp, iwant, and plenty of other programs for the GPS, also of course it has google that would find everything.

Quote:
Don't you think you should be able to install whatever programs you want, on a device that you paid for and own? Instead, Apple controls it.
Actually you can,

Quote:
That's the main reason why I don't like it, but they are going to have to step it up big time once the Nvidia based phone comes out, that phone outputs 720p video through HDMI
Well will see if they come with a new iphone.
But right now, the iPhone is the best phone in the US market.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Well it's a matter of opinion, but the HTC Touch HD would be my choice for best phone right now *drools*

Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Well it's a matter of opinion, but the HTC Touch HD would be my choice for best phone right now *drools*
The only one that comes remotely close to the iPhone is the newly announced one offered by LG. But the iPhone's browser is hard to top. Everyone is emulating the iPhone, which in turn benefits the consumer. There are a few other cell phones that are competing heavily with the iPhone as you can read here:
http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=4724

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-30-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The only one that comes remotely close to the iPhone is the newly announced one offered by LG. But the iPhone's browser is hard to top. Everyone is emulating the iPhone, which in turn benefits the consumer. There are a few other cell phones that are competing heavily with the iPhone as you can read here:
Alternatives to iPhone - Buying Guide from The Kim Komando Radio Show® & Web site
Wow you have no clue, you obviously didn't even look up the Touch HD, instead you linked to a weak list that included the lowest HTC model. I don't want to match the iPhone, I want something much better, and the Touch HD is that something by far. To be fair, it is newer, and apple is trying to hit a lower price point.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/overview.html (broken link)

Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Wow you have no clue, you obviously didn't even look up the Touch HD, instead you linked to a weak list that included the lowest HTC model. I don't want to match the iPhone, I want something much better, and the Touch HD is that something by far. To be fair, it is newer, and apple is trying to hit a lower price point.

HTC - Products - HTC Touch HD - Overview (http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/overview.html - broken link)
Wow, it's you who has no clue. I provided a link that does not have "your specific toy," but still, the article deals with "alternatives to the iPhone," some of which are as just as good or better to some people. As with every gadget out there, what may be better for you doesn't necessarily means that it's the best for me. As you can see by some of the responses in this thread, the iPhone is the perfect toy for some, and not for others. Besides, do you think that the average cell phone user is going to rush to the store to buy a $700.00 toy this year while worrying about losing his job?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Wow, it's you who has no clue. I provided a link that does not have "your specific toy," but still, the article deals with "alternatives to the iPhone," some of which are as just as good or better to some people. As with every gadget out there, what may be better for you doesn't necessarily means that it's the best for me. As you can see by some of the responses in this thread, the iPhone is the perfect toy for some, and not for others. Besides, do you think that the average cell phone user is going to rush to the store to buy a $700.00 toy this year while worrying about losing his job?
Sorry, just trying to help the one who made a big list of stuff to do with the phone, I was simply providing you a better alternative. And no the phone is not $700 msrp, that's an inflated price you found somewhere. And if those same people are worried about losing their jobs, they won't be rushing out to buy an iPhone and commit to a large monthly cell phone bill. The beauty about the HTC is you're not forced into any type of extras, you pay for what you want, and it's also compatible with ANY carrier, the iPhone certainly is not. Other than the N95, that list had very weak phones.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I purchased the Iphone on the very first day it came out. Yup, I paid full price. I had to send it back and get it replaced twice. I still have my third original one and now it's freezing up and I can't use the bottom half of the touch screen-hence, cannot even get into the phone. I would upgrade to the new 3G one but am not paying another $10 a month for the same stuff but at a slower pace.

I'm heading to Cingular today to check out the other phones. I've had it with Iphone.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry, just trying to help the one who made a big list of stuff to do with the phone, I was simply providing you a better alternative. And no the phone is not $700 msrp, that's an inflated price you found somewhere. And if those same people are worried about losing their jobs, they won't be rushing out to buy an iPhone and commit to a large monthly cell phone bill. The beauty about the HTC is you're not forced into any type of extras, you pay for what you want, and it's also compatible with ANY carrier, the iPhone certainly is not. Other than the N95, that list had very weak phones.
OK, then: What is the "deflated" price of the fancy toy, plus service for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones