Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM

44 posts, read 170,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
But please don't accuse me of having a boring life because I like to watch a video newscast or quickly check the price of something online while I'm out shopping.
iPhone makes information so much more accessible that, if anything, your life is less boring! I know, I used to be one of those anti-gizmo curmudgeons, but the iPhone has shown me the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:18 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
iPhone makes information so much more accessible that, if anything, your life is less boring!
Well, maybe your life. Feel free to speak for yourself.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
Smile i PHONE

Well this is what I know. Phones are good to have for emergencies and to keep in touch with family when you just want to say hi, letting them know you are thinking of them. Internet on phones not necessary point blank.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 AM

44 posts, read 170,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Well, maybe your life. Feel free to speak for yourself.
Actually, I was speaking for Naptowner after you implied that he had a boring life. But my life, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
Well this is what I know. Phones are good to have for emergencies and to keep in touch with family when you just want to say hi, letting them know you are thinking of them. Internet on phones not necessary point blank.
I have the exact same philosophy. That's why I've held onto my Motorola for 7 years. But it is time for a new phone, and even though it isn't necessary to have the internet on it, and I could survive without it, it sure is useful! Same goes for the GPS on it. And the iPod on it. Especially as I'm getting ready to drive across the U.S.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
It might not be necessary for YOU. That doesn't mean some people can't get a lot of use out of it.

But again, I think it's kind of a strawman argument. Just because someone doesn't strictly NEED to have a web browser on their phone, doesn't mean they're an idiot for buying a phone with a web browser. Does anyone really need a tv?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
I use the Safari web browser all the time on my iPhone.

1) It is great to check addresses/phone # for a store, let's say the nearest Costco.
2) Checking Bank accounts
3) People can send me a Hyperlink in my email and I can immediately view it.

Just those things alone make it worth it, I use it all the time lol.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My understanding is that the I-phone is a great toy, but a lousy business tool. Other phones have touch screen, but I do not see any advantage to touch screen. It just costs more. I also read an article that says that the I-phone software has 70 identified bugs in it that you cna fix by spening a lt of time with customer support. Maybe the I-phone will be a great device someday, but it seems that it treally is nto ready fo rhte market.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My understanding is that the I-phone is a great toy, but a lousy business tool. Other phones have touch screen, but I do not see any advantage to touch screen. It just costs more. I also read an article that says that the I-phone software has 70 identified bugs in it that you cna fix by spening a lt of time with customer support. Maybe the I-phone will be a great device someday, but it seems that it treally is nto ready fo rhte market.
I think it's a great business tool, and I really haven't had any problems with it. I certainly wouldn't say it's not ready for market. The "not business ready" rep comes from the relative difficulty of using an iphone with a windows exchange server (as I understand it) and the fact that compared to the proprietary RIM network Blackberry uses, the iphone doesn't do as well in syncing your email on your phone and work computers. Supposedly the mobileme service does that, but I haven't found it necessary. I'm out of the office a lot and don't have any problem getting confused about which emails I've responded to and which I haven't.

There's not a phone out there that has the multi-touch screen the iphone has, and I'm very satisfied with that feature of the phone. Typing isn't any more difficult for me, and the ability to have all that real estate to display emails, web pages, photos, videos, and maps more than makes up for any difficulty in not having hard keys to press. I think the "great toy/lousy business tool" analogy is an oversimplification.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I also use my new iPhone for business - not for checking office email, but for managing my calendars, contacts, and lists. Having the maps and search functions are great, and so far I like it much better than my old Blackberry - its much more usable for every day functions - for me cutting the cord to the office has been great - if people really need me, they can call me, otherwise, I'll check my email when I can.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:00 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
I like to watch my stocks tumble on mine

Oh and the rest of it is useful too! I got us in the right track on a road trip, by looking up the address on the web browser... but the site didn't have a map... so I used the map feature. The only app I find completely useless is YouTube... but that is my own hate for the site. Nothing against Apple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones