Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times

Advertisements

Have been landlineless since 2004; not problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
I've had cell phones on and off since the late 1990's - TDMA, CDMA, GSM... Service varies tremendously with phone, carrier and location! I get about three quarters of a bar (statistically) from Sprint at my rural home in Illinois. At my place in Memphis, there's no problem. Check those coverage maps CAREFULLY and consider everywhere you may use the thing. One bar can be far more frustrating than no bars - at least with no bars you know you're not going to get through!

The only carrier I've had what I consider acceptable service and support from was Verizon. If I get another cell phone I'll go to them. Most of the industry borders on fraud, if not legally then ethically. I will never do business with Cingular (now owners of AT&T) ever again because of their draconian contracts and belligerent service people, and I encourage the rest of you to avoid them as well.

"A little more expensive?" The cheapest I can get unlimited local and long distance via wireless is EIGHT TIMES what I pay for Vonage. My wife talks A LOT to people all over the world. I now use phones sparingly, maybe 30 minutes a month in those months I use them at all. When I was consulting and traveling all over the country, I used my cell phone probably 20 hours a month (1200 minutes) in markets including: Cleveland, OH; Harrisburg, PA; Philadelphia; LA; Dallas/Ft Worth; El Paso, TX; St Louis; Memphis; Colorado Springs; Ft Lauderdale, FL; New York, NY; and points between.

The 911 caveat is a big one and it's important. If there's a fire or a break-in are you going to be clear-headed enough to give proper directions while simultaneously dealing with the situation?

It's getting hard to get traditional landlines in some markets. If you go for VoIP, make sure your ISP is up to it. Not all of them provide consistent enough bandwith and low enough latency. Unless you're okay with a 2-second round trip, don't get IP phones if your internet is via satellite - the delay can be quite confusing.

Walking Bear
My seven cents' worth. Your mileage may vary. Past gains are no guarantee of future performance. I'm a silly goose.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
No landline since 2003, no issues and lovin it. Can't convince me to go back to regular phone.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I ditched the landline last week because being unemployed, we couldn't justify having two phones. The cell phone is more practical as you can take it with you wherever you go. Although I'm still not crazy about the voice quality of cell phones, it's functional and I haven't regretted it at all. It saved me a good $50 a month as well. Plus, our family is all on the same carrier so calls between us are free. I have rollover minutes and don't ever approach my monthly minutes; I also don't worry about it either.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 39,526 times
I am a cell only kinda guy.
The real issues are
***How good does your cell phone work in your house/area?
***Does your cell phone carrier offer a plan to fit all your needs?
If you can answer both those questions affirmatively, you're wasting your money on a house phone of any kind.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yup! Sounds like a plan. Lots of people do it.

Or you can get a VoIP phone.
If you get a VOIP, be prepared that some people you call are just not going to pick up the phone. None of the calls [I've noticed to date] identify who is calling, all it says is "voip". Big deal. It could be anyone, pesky telemarketers, and that type. So, why should they have to pick up the phone just to be tormented? If you really like the people you're calling, do them a favor,...please leave a message. I'm sure they'll return your call. Or as soon as you hear a click like connection, just try talking, if the receiving end knows you, they may just pick up the phone and by-pass the recorder.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
Been cell only for the past year and have not had any issues. We had voip for the two year previous but I found the quality not much better than cell. But you couldn't beat the price of voip if you could find a reliable one. Think we paid 20 bucks a year for unlimited calls.

You really need to work out the cost of calls you make per month. With a teenager the voip was a no-brainer because it was cheaper then the phone company, and a heck of a lot cheaper than using cell minutes. Now he pays his own bill so we are all cell. I will never go over my minutes.

But the 911 is something to consider, even with voip. With voip they know exactly where you are when dialing 911 but the phone doesn't work if the power or cable is out. Make sure you know what will happen if you dial 911 on your cell.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,804 times
Another consideration is how to make international calls from a cell phone instead of a landline, especially if you don't need to do it very often. With a landline you can find a "10-10" carrier that gives good rates to where you want to call and dial their 1010XXX number in front of the international number. Don't work that way on a cell phone and so you either pay the exorbitant international rates the cell phone companies charge or you get an international calling card and use it just like from any other phone.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
If you get a VOIP, be prepared that some people you call are just not going to pick up the phone. None of the calls [I've noticed to date] identify who is calling, all it says is "voip". Big deal.
That is likely an issue with your provider, my VOIP caller ID works just as it should.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Pros: It will save you money to give it up and go with cell only as long as you don't use many minutes or you have an unlimited plan.
Cons: If you have a security system or a door intercom and buzzer system, you may have problems. Also if you dial 911, your address will not show to the E911 dispatchers should you not be able to talk. The other thing is, if you have satellite TV, they will charge you extra for not having it connected to a phone line. I would look at keeping a home line but request "the lowest measured tariff" when you order it. The phone company generally does not advertise this rate but you can have a phone for about $12 a month for 911 and your alarm and satellite TV if you have it. Another option for 911 is to order "naked DSL" and it will come with a dial tone that does not work for anything but calling 611 or 911 but it will show your address in an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones