U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,440,558 times

Advertisements

I have a Motorola RAZR V3xx (I think) and it is time to replace my battery. I have been looking online after getting a quote of $42 from the AT&T store and the prices are all over the place. How can there be such a huge price differential for seemingly equivalent products? The only thing I know is that I want a lithium-ion battery but what else should I be looking for to ensure I get the one with the longest charge-holding capability and anything else that is important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM

905 posts, read 2,169,028 times
Go on Ebay...you can get one for about a dollar plus shipping. Got one for my friends and he has had no problem with it.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 AM

I am looking for more specific information about the actual battery. I have actually seen one on Amazon for $1.25 but I need to know what the difference is between the OEM Amazon one and ones I have found elsewhere for anywhere from $25 to $40+ (also OEM). There has to be more to the difference than arbitrary pricing.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,630,625 times
Some of the "OEM" batteries sold on ebay are Chinese fakes. I'd avoid that site for certain. There's no doubt in my mind that a big part of the price difference has to be the convenience/reliability factor of buying these parts where the wireless carriers have a sales desk, which includes the AT&T store as well as a lot of big box retailers. People going in because their phone doesn't work correctly aren't necessarily going to leave without a battery just so they can go home and comparison shop on the internet, so they're more likely to be willing to pay $40 or so.

I think you're unlikely to find anyone who can actually give opinions about different types of batteries here - how many batteries do people buy for a given phone, anyway? I'd go to Amazon.com, search for the battery you need, and sort the results by customer reviews. If 150 people give a battery an average 4 or 4.5 star rating it's probably going to work for you. There are also extended life batteries that come with a little door because they won't fit in the regular case.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

A "little door?" What exactly does that look like? I like the idea of using Amazon as it keeps me from having to send personal information and credit card numbers to unknown vendors. But even with Amazon, there are a multitude of price variations and I just don't know what the differences are besides the price.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,630,625 times
The extended life batteries are larger than the one that goes into your phone now. They're thicker, so they come with a replacement battery door that allows for the extra size. Some of the OEM batteries come with a replacement door, too, I noticed. As far as the variations between them and the corresponding price, I don't know. You might read the customer reviews for more info. You can go to the motorola web site and find the right one for your phone. If it's a V3xx, it's this one: Battery BZ60 (Slim -900mAh)- SNN5789C - Motorola USA (http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=fb1c8c9a27f89110VgnVCM10000084 06b00aRCRD&vgnextchannel=b65832a609e89110VgnVCM100 0008406b00aRCRD - broken link)

Go to Amazon and search for it. Buy the cheapest one. Or buy one from the most reputable dealer. Here's one for less than ten bucks with S&H: Amazon.com: Motorola V3xx STD 900mAh Lithium Battery: Electronics

If you want an extended life battery you can search for one of those too. If it's a piece of junk and you can't return it for some reason, you're out ten bucks.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Default thanks

Thank you for this specific info, it is just what I wanted. I have now ordered a battery (from Amazon) and will see how it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones