Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Last week I got my most recent bill form my cell phone, about $50. I had roll over minutes, free long distance, texting, etc. I noticed I had 5000 unused weekend and evening minutes, around 5000 rolled over minutes, and had used a total of 12 min. for the last period, and most of those were from work people calling me about work-related issues. (For some reason, people will call my cell when I'm at my desk at work, so I call them right back on my land line because it sounds better).

So anyway, it finally struck me - why do I even have a cell phone? Last month each minute cost me over $4 based on my useage. I'm basically paying $600 a year for a phone that my employer uses to contact me!

I don't text people either. A couple people had started texting me, and I told them to stop. Why is someone texting me from work, while I'm at work? I told them both, I'm sitting in front of a computer with e-mail. If you don't want to call me, then send an e-mail! It's a hell of a lot easier than sitting there punching minute buttons over and over to try and write in "text code" that looks like a 1st grader wrote it! Geez, texting has to be the stupidest thing I've ever tried to do.

I didn't use my cell phone in the car. I'm never in my car more than 10 or 15 minutes, and when I've tried to talk and drive, the entire trip becomes a blur. It's just not safe. And I find people who flap their pie holes on the phone in the middle of the grocery store, sometimes standing there blocking the aisle while they argue with their kids, to be annoying and completely rude. I don't talk on the phone in stores, period. I take 2 mile walks every evening, and I didn't take the phone on walks either, because I actually prefer to be left alone to my thoughts at times throughout the day.

It seems to me that cell phones simply foster total co-dependancy for people. Why is it that 99% of the time when I see women in giant SUVs driving around, they have a phone up to their ear? Who are the talking to? Seriously, you can't make it from the soccer field back to your house without talking to someone? Who are they all talking to? Other women in SUVs?

I understand that many people have jobs where a cell phone is a must. Maybe even life circumstances require one. But seriously, what's wrong with people that they think they need to be talking to someone every minute of the day they're awake? And I'm sick and tired of being around people/friends/coworkers who you can't have a 3 min. conversation with without them stopping to take a call or check a text msg. This is flat out RUDE behavior!

The novelty of talking to anyone from anywhere wore off for me many years ago. I hated my cell phone, didn't use it, and cancelled it because it was a total waste of money. GODD RIDDANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 PM

190 posts, read 764,012 times
I agree with you 100%. Land line telephones sound so much clearer and so much cheaper, I don't understand why people are so crazy in love with the cell phone. Yes, I can see them for road emergency situations, I wish I had one for that alone, can't afford it.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 PM

260 posts, read 908,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
I agree with you 100%. Land line telephones sound so much clearer and so much cheaper, I don't understand why people are so crazy in love with the cell phone. Yes, I can see them for road emergency situations, I wish I had one for that alone, can't afford it.
Your old cell phone should work for 911 free. Just remember to keep the car charger with the phone in the car. I had a friend who needed to make a call a few months ago and she could not find a pay phone and when she asked to use one at a convenience store they said no. She got a TracPhone. It's not the best service but it works for what she needs it for and it's cheap.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I actually did just the opposite of you! I'm always out and about, rarely at home. I take road trips for random occassions, I'm everywhere basically. So, I realized that I was spending quite a chunk of money for the "digital telephone" service just to save a few bucks with the cable company.

That ended rather quickly.

In the end, if I were to make all of my calls (lots of long distance, which for some reason isn't free with my home phone) on the land line instead of cellphone, it would end up costing a lot more than my cellphone costs.

I also text a lot. I hate talking on the phone anyways, so I just text and can just ignore the person if I'm feeling that way.

It all deals with personal preference.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM

42 posts, read 130,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
I agree with you 100%. Land line telephones sound so much clearer and so much cheaper
I did not accept you both points. the cell phones are much clearer and cheaper then the landlines. and there are loads of reasons why people prefer cell phone. It gives you great convenience.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheeruyadav View Post
I did not accept you both points. the cell phones are much clearer and cheaper then the landlines. and there are loads of reasons why people prefer cell phone. It gives you great convenience.
What landline have you been using?

I have a cell phone and feel I have a very good deal on my plan, but I do agree with others that a landline gives you a much more clear and crisp conversation. I'm proud to say though that I'm not the type who carries my cell phone everywhere I go, if I'm in a public place I keep it silenced and let people leave a voicemail.

I think cell phones are fine, but it would be nice if people used more etiquette with them, and were more wise when it came to driving with them.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
What landline have you been using?

I have a cell phone and feel I have a very good deal on my plan, but I do agree with others that a landline gives you a much more clear and crisp conversation. I'm proud to say though that I'm not the type who carries my cell phone everywhere I go, if I'm in a public place I keep it silenced and let people leave a voicemail.

I think cell phones are fine, but it would be nice if people used more etiquette with them, and were more wise when it came to driving with them.
I agree

Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Well, though Im still old school in some ways, one of the progresses' that I 'must have'. At work we're not allowed to use our cellphones while we're on the floor but I live for texting, talking to friends and having camera phone is the fastest way to send a picture that might ned to be taken right away, such as rather than pulling out your camera from its case, turning it on, pointing, and if its a digital, theres always that 2-3 second delay before the shutter actually 'clicks'. My cellphone, its open and shoot. Done. And...I can send right away, rather than waiting to get home to the computer, download from the camera or card itself, send in email.
Though I love my digital and 35mm, theres still nothing faster than the camera phone. Being the photography nut I am, one never has too many cameras.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,296 times
I agree with the danger of the SUV chatter...people say cells are good for emergencies, but we all know these arent emergency calls.
I have a cell phone, but I don't walk around the store having private conversations. I was in the grocery store and wanted to get eggs, and this woman was talking on her phone in front of the eggs, so I reached past her to get a dozen. She gave me a dirty look, as if I was entering her private space. Now, I have seen this before. I think people think if they are on the phone they take precedence. Well, they don't.
I resent having to hear their private calls, and I frankly don't care what they are doing or not doing. I resent having to put up with it, when I am in line or in a waiting room. Take it outside.
What did these people do before cell phones?
Cells are a convenience, but keep the conversations private please!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

It seems to me that cell phones simply foster total co-dependancy for people. Why is it that 99% of the time when I see women in giant SUVs driving around, they have a phone up to their ear? Who are the talking to? Seriously, you can't make it from the soccer field back to your house without talking to someone? Who are they all talking to? Other women in SUVs?

Bingo! Applause. and Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones