Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That was then and this is now. We also had one TV that was black and white and got 3 channels. Things have changed. Alot.
And not necessarilly for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Of course children should have cell phones. At least kids over 10.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
Default Kids and cell phones

Hi,
Well the technology is very fast day by day it is going to change every cell in technology is good while we are using it in proper way.

[url=http://motounlocking.com]Motorola Unlocking - Motorola unlock service and Motorola unlock codes delivered completely online[/url]

Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogers View Post
Hi,
Well the technology is very fast day by day it is going to change every cell in technology is good while we are using it in proper way.

[url[/url]
reported as SPAM

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
My kids got cell phones when they got to high school. While it was SUPPOSED to be for emergencies and "keeping tabs on" only, and it was for awhile with my eldest, by the time the second child got theirs it became the primiary source of communication for people under a certain age and now we have a family plan with unlimited texts. No amount of me talking about "the good old days" or "when I was a kid" will turn back time.

Once they could afford to buy their own phones I didn't care what they got, but I only gave them the basics...usually a gophone or something used off ebay, no camera or mp3 or anything like that. Now however I think the most basic of phones comes fully equiped.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 PM

159 posts, read 355,691 times
Most of the cell phone companies now offer parental control tools (for a small fee of course) that allow you limit the features, and even the minutes available on phones you have on your family plan.

Given the times, I think cell phones for kids are kind of necessity since in my area the payphones have actually been removed by the phone companies.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
I think a kid, if they have one, should have a prepay. Give them so many minutes a month and when its done, its done.
My son was getting several 'junk' text messages that we couldnt figure out why his share of the bill was always so high till I called the company, turns out he was opening junk text messages that were costing us! so...I had them put a block on this type of thing and he doesnt get them anymore. :0

Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 39,354 times
Think having a phone is a good idea..could prevent some tragic events (unexpected situations, car trouble) but they only need to call for help..such as parents or 911. Absolutely no excuse for pictures, videos, etc. Another product of technology with real potential for abuse by the immature, irresponsible, naive, impulsive; and not always "just kids". Same goes for unsupervised computer use; preditors have all the advantages and run rampant. Parents just need to PARENT!! janbnd

Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
But that goes for everything. Anything can be abused by children if the parents don't take responsibility and actully parent. THere is no inherent evil in letting a child have a cell phone, the problem is parents not parenting.

My son will probably have a cell phone when he is 9 or 10, when he is old enough to walk to school or to friends homes by himself and I honestly don't see a problem with that at all. All parents want their kids safe.

Times change, always will. some for the good, some for the not so good. My child will have a cell phone with restrictions. My son can play on the computer which probably has more dangers unsupervised than a cell phone. Just because it can be abused doesn't mean I will let my child have the chance to abuse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones