Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 PM

323 posts, read 956,998 times

Advertisements

We will be hosting a student for one month. I have an UNLOCKED phone that I use when I travel and am looking for a prepaid SIM card that I can give her to be use for local/nationwide calls while she is here.

I have seen a few that have a low purchase price, but the "cost" of incoming and outgoing calls is ridiculous.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,339,526 times
The answer is totally dependent on how many minutes they're going to use. Since you specifically said just one month, I would actually not go the prepaid SIM route.

I would get on Virgin Mobile's website, and buy one of the $9.99 phone + airtime packages. For 9.99, you get a phone and a $9.99 credit to your first airtime purchase, so the phone works out to be free.

Then you can add either a monthly plan (starts at $29.99 for 300 anytime and 1000 night/weekends) or a minute pack (starts at $20 for 200 minutes), and just cancel when the student leaves in one month.

That's way better than the best plan you can get with a prepaid SIM.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Hmmm, that's a thought. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks PCITY, that's just what I did.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 24,158 times
Default Breaking Mobile Phone News

If for any reason you are not happy
with your present mobile phones and
mobile phone service provider. I would
recommend Buzzirk Mobile as a
solutions provider to the issues that
many people are facing with the major carriers.
For more information please visit
www.BuzzirkMobileTeam.com

Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 11,802 times
Default Best Prepaid Sim cards in U.S.

Although this answer is a bit late and won't help the person who posted the question above I am hoping it will help other travelers who read this. I work for T-mobile USA and we do hundreds of prepaid activations at my location. If you are looking for a prepaid sim card that includes local calling and texting or even international calling and texting as well as data for your smartphone whether it be for an iPhone or blackberry or htc etc.,we have it. We have Prepaid sims that are good for 30 days or more , as well as daily plans if you are only staying in the states for a short while. All of our plans are affordable from $10 and up depending on your needs.
Here is the link to our prepaid plans
Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Plans | Text, Talk or Web | T-Mobile (http://www.tmobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx?WT.mc_n=PrePdPlnsOvrMain&WT.mc_t=Onsite Ad - broken link)
I hope this helps. And if any of you will be in the San Francisco downtown area my store is located on 50 Powell St. (right at the cable car turnaround)
Please ask for me my name is SAMANTHA B and i would be more than glad to help!!

Last edited by sammbautista; 04-10-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 26,958 times
I dont want to rub it in but in the UK SIm cards are free and all incoming calls are free too

Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 AM

10 posts, read 98,591 times
The first thing you need to do is to make sure you have your phone unlocked so you can insert any SIM card to your mobile. This way, any SIM card you opt to have is attainable.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,568,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbautista View Post
[b]Although this answer is a bit late and won't help the person who posted the question above I am hoping it will help other travelers who read this. I work for T-mobile USA and we do hundreds of prepaid activations at my location. If you are looking for a prepaid sim card that includes local calling and texting or even international calling and texting as well as data for your smartphone whether it be for an iPhone or blackberry or htc etc.,we have it. We have Prepaid sims that are good for 30 days or more , as well as daily plans if you are only staying in the states for a short while. All of our plans are affordable from $10 and up depending on your needs.
Yeah but T-Mo's signal can be, depending on where you are, downright awful. I speak from experience. I kicked T-Mo to the curb several months ago

Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,876 times
While this post wont help the OP, it might help others. I use TMobile prepaid and my wife has been using it for many years on her phone and we are both very happy with the service overall, I guess it depends on where one lives.

A tip for those who have bad service at their homes is to get a phone that has uma in it and use your home wifi router as a cell site. Also I have found the uma to work in foreign countries while on any wifi there that uses WEP security, so local calls to and from the US even while out of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones