Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
AT&T has the most cell sites. Verizon is in close 2nd, Tmobile is in 3rd but is in the midst of a serious upgrade- at least here in Georgia. Sprint is a distant 4th. The others like Metro and Boost have far fewer towers.
IIRC Boost is a re-seller of Sprint, so if Sprint is a distant 4th, then so is Boost - or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Number 1.

T-mobile is upgrading their network to a W-CDMA technology. Better known as "3G". The reason why W-CDMA is better than what Verizon and Sprint rolled out, is it promises faster download and upload speeds, and it is more flexible for expanding out in the future.

Number 2.

T-mobile has great service in metropolitan areas. I will grant you that if you get out in the boonies sometimes, we have some coverage problems.

Number 3. GSM is not inferior to CDMA. Why did the rest of the world use GSM instead of CDMA? W-CDMA is a better technology because its newer. CDMA has a lot of issues with its incoding in high RF areas, where GSM doesn't have that same issue.

Yes, I work for T-mobile. No, I'm not completely happy with how this company got off on its 3G kick off. We had some corporate idiot say, "We will just roll out 3G for voice to start." That was a mistake. However, we are catching up. Right now, we have some of the fastest data rates out there, second only to AT&T. Thats right, we are faster than Verizon where we have 3G. We are turning up new markets daily, and we plan on having over 2 million pops covered with our 3G service by the end of the year.

You do not want to go with Sprint, they are contracting out their jobs. Thats right, their field techs don't even work for Sprint, they are outside contractors. Why would you want that kind of service.

AT&T continually gets poor service ratings, their network is patched together, and not all of it works. One spot will be awesome, and the next town over will have awful service

I always tell people, if you have the money, buy Verizon. However, thats only if money isn't a problem for you. Verizon is the oldest carrier in the United States as far as wireless. They have awesome 2G coverage, but they are falling behind the 3G game, because of the tech they decided to go with for that. Thats why they are talking about 4G already, and its not a proven technology just yet.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,345 times
I got T-Mobile originally because it didn't have roaming. Their customer service is really bad but I have always had good reception.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,601 times
I've had T-Mobile Prepaid for more than 6 years, and it's worked fine for me. I originally chose that network, because it was the only one at the time which did not hassle me for wanting prepaid versus a subscription service and didn't try to twist my arm to buy a phone locked to their network. I've been seamlessly moved over to roam on other networks in the areas of the country where there have been no T-mobile towers. The ease of adding minutes and the fact that minutes last a year now are a definite plus to the service.

Customer service has been fine, when I've had questions.

I finally broke down and bought a new (unlocked) phone over the internet, so I'm interested to see how the new applications and services work for me on the network now.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
I switched from Verizon to Sprint to save money and get more features.....Travel up and down the East Coast, Chicago, LA, and SF.....My Sprint Phone works everywhere my Verizon phone did...Never an issue...

So when people tell me that Sprint sucks or worse network....I sure as hell cannot tell....Maybe eons ago Sprint was bad, but not in 2009 their not.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
I haven't had T-Mo in years but when I did its coverage was nowhere near as good as AT&T's (Cingular when I changed over). I found T-Mo's customer service absolutely horrendous. I would wait on hold forever, be told I had to go to a store, go to the store and be told I had to call customer service. It was such a hassle I jumped ship as soon as I figured out I could keep my number.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,799 times
Thumbs down I frickin hate T-mobile

Service areas are always the worst. I am so sick of having the only one whose phone doesn't work in certain places. Coverage is not good. The only thing that kept me with them was price. But, these f_ckers get you with all the contract extensions. I am so sick of it. How do they get away with it. Change your minutes? That'll be another two years. Use that, "free upgrade?" Ohh, that's gonna cost ya another year. My friend just got cricket and I'm gonna see how that goes. I'm waiting out my contract and I'll be leaving T-*ucking mobile.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 12,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Service areas are always the worst. I am so sick of having the only one whose phone doesn't work in certain places. Coverage is not good. The only thing that kept me with them was price. But, these f_ckers get you with all the contract extensions. I am so sick of it. How do they get away with it. Change your minutes? That'll be another two years. Use that, "free upgrade?" Ohh, that's gonna cost ya another year. My friend just got cricket and I'm gonna see how that goes. I'm waiting out my contract and I'll be leaving T-*ucking mobile.
what state are you in? I've had tmobile for years and never had any issue's with reception and i lived in florida texas california, drove from florida to ohio and florida to texas and never lost signal unless i was in mountains maybe. Also if you've been with them can't be the unlimited loyalty offer of 49 or 59.99 unlimited minutes

Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
If you leave T-Mobile because of the contract extensions where will you go? They all do it.

As far as serivce, we have both T-mobile and Sprint. Both are good, but Sprint has more coverage areas. T-mobile is catching up. I remember, several years ago, when T-mobile had lousy coverage, but it's much better now.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I have had T Mobile for years and have had no issues w/ coverage in most of MA, parts of NH, Chicago, and parts of PA. customer service is pretty spotty, but I don't need it much anyways (thank god for those quick pay kiosks for when I don't want to bother w/ paying online!). I haven't really felt a need to drop them yet, though my needs are pretty simple and I haven't been caught up on all the 3G stuff yet (just own a simple Razr). also, AFAIK, all the major carriers will only offer "free" upgrades if you extend your contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones