Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:21 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times

Advertisements

Here's a quick and simple solution to the problem of how to dispose of a cell phone so that it's personal information can't be accessed...

Try it at your own risk!

YouTube - Will It Blend? - iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
That really seems like overkill to me. Are phones really going to have much useful information on them in the first place?

If the phone has a sim card, remove it and cut it in half with kitchen shears. Smash the phone with a hammer, wrap it in something and put it in the trash along with some garbage.
That's the info I was looking for. Thanks. I don't know what the SIM card looks like, though.

I appreciate the "blender" solution too. lol

Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
The only info on my cell phones has ever been phone numbers of people I call. I donate my old cell phones and encourage others to do the same along with the cords to charge them to groups that give them to battered women. Even if the service is off, they can call 911 on it if they need help.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
Not all phones use a Sim card. Here's a link to a picture of one: http://tmobilesimcards.files.wordpre...t_and_back.jpg

The two small cards at the bottom of the pic are sim cards. The large card at the top is about the size of a credit card. The sim card carries data that identifies you to the cell network, and can also store data from the phone, such as phone numbers. Phones may also have a small removable memory card that stores data, as well as internal memory that stores it. If you remove the battery cover you should be able to see the sim card and the removable memory card, if your phone has one.

I agree with the previous poster. The typical cell phone isn't going to have much information on it that would be useful to an identity thief. And since you always have the risk of losing the phone, you really shouldn't put anything sensitive on it in the first place. While it may be possible for someone to get your data from a discarded phone, the difficulty of doing so coupled with the slim chance that there's anything interesting on there makes it unlikely that this would occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones