Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,433,108 times

Advertisements

I am for the first time ever considering getting a Blackberry or iPhone. Problem is I don't know enough about either of them to decide. I currently have a cellphone account with T-Mobile (and I've been with them so long they don't even offer my plan any more ). A lot of people at work just got switched to the iPhone but it's thro AT&T and they constantly complain of dropped calls which is something I DON'T need. I just need something basic that I can use for email, texting, phoning and internet access. And if it looks like a flip phone so I don't risk "butt-dialing" anyone that'd be great!

Any and all recommendations are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM

649 posts, read 1,129,906 times
since you are on Tmobile, up until recently I would have said get a SideKick for what you want, but they are having lots of network outages now.
If you are going to stick with Tmobile, you pretty much have to get a BlackBerry, unless you want to go thru the drama of hacking/jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone to get it to work on Tmobiles network

Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,433,108 times
Hmm, that's interesting and useful to know, thanks. I really wanted to get one so I can text or email people when I'm travelling and let them know if I'm delayed, etc. But if the Sidekicks really suffer from a lot of outages perhaps I should look at something else. Have you heard anything about the MyTouch? I see it's a lot more expensive though.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:05 AM

321 posts, read 918,210 times
I recently went through an analysis of the Blackberry vs. the iphone since I needed to get a new phone. I did lots of online study, talking to people that had both and then went phone shopping to touch and feel the phones. I ended up with the iphone and I love it. Rumor has it that the exclusive contract AT&T has on the iphone will soon be coming to an end - I also know folks that have T-Mobile but use an iphone (something with regards to the T-Mobile chip works in the iphone). Good luck!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Hmm, that's interesting and useful to know, thanks. I really wanted to get one so I can text or email people when I'm travelling and let them know if I'm delayed, etc. But if the Sidekicks really suffer from a lot of outages perhaps I should look at something else. Have you heard anything about the MyTouch? I see it's a lot more expensive though.
the SideKick was cool and innovative in its time, it is dying out now. I am trying to figure out what to switch to...but I'm gonna miss that $30/month unltd email/internet/text Sidekick prepaid pkg. I mean, its Tmobile's 2G network, and Danger/Microsoft isn't supporting the email server correctly anymore (type Tmobile SideKick into google news), but still that plan is awesome

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
I recently went through an analysis of the Blackberry vs. the iphone since I needed to get a new phone. I did lots of online study, talking to people that had both and then went phone shopping to touch and feel the phones. I ended up with the iphone and I love it. Rumor has it that the exclusive contract AT&T has on the iphone will soon be coming to an end - I also know folks that have T-Mobile but use an iphone (something with regards to the T-Mobile chip works in the iphone). Good luck!
The Wall St Journal did an article about iPhone possibly switching to Verizon. but for now, its stuck on ATT.
Of course, you can hack/jailbreak/unlock it and make it work on Tmobile because of sim cards.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,218,806 times
i prefer blackberry; the keyboard locks to prevent "butt dialing"

Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,644,978 times
What phone doesn't lock anymore? Afaik they all do.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,286,872 times
I will iss Tmobile and after hearing about all the Verizon and AT&T problems, I am scared to leave them. How would I buy an iPhone to use on Tmobile? From Ebay?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,350,205 times
That's like comparing apples to oranges. I personally don't think Blackberry phones are that wonderful. I would only have one if my company paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones