Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,448 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to switch to Sprint in 4 months. I've been with AT&T/Cingular for about 6 years but I'm tired of the poor cell phone reception and dropped calls. Sprint is suppose to be a little better for far less money. We'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I love Sprint, and I'm not just saying that because I used to work for them

About 6 years ago Sprint was THE lowest of all major carriers when it came to customer service, and they knew it. I have no idea what the numbers are these days, but in my experiences, I've only had extremely good interactions.

I love the 18 month upgrade (I use it every 18 months), the short wait times, how many Sprint stores there are around, the coverage (I, many times have coverage even in remote areas when my friends don't), and the affordability. Even though I worked there over 6 years ago, I still get the employee discount. Every time I upgrade I ask them if I can keep it, and they always say yes

I think the haters come with every major cell carrier. One carrier can't please everyone!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
Because every month I had to call into customer service about some charge (AGAIN) on my bill and speak to someone that doesn't speak english.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When you have to have armed security in your stores to thwart angry customers, that should tell you something!

Save yourself the trouble of Sprint PCS - Sprint Mobile Phone Service in New York - Epinions.com

well, that was written 9 years ago.

for a long time it was just "common knowledge" that sprint sucked. i seem to recall a few years ago that they had an ad campaign where they more or less admitted that American consumers hate them, and they were going to change. (like Dominos did recently, and I think Hardees did a few years back)

Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

for a long time it was just "common knowledge" that sprint sucked. i seem to recall a few years ago that they had an ad campaign where they more or less admitted that American consumers hate them, and they were going to change. (like Dominos did recently, and I think Hardees did a few years back)
Sprint tried to run a cell company like they did a long distance company. They brought management over the cell division from long distance- people who don't know squat about running a cell phone company. Long distance and cell are not hardly distant cousins. Requires a whole different style and type of management.
AT&T was much smarter. When it was formed with a marraige of Cingular, ATT Long Distance, SBC, Ameritech and BellSouth, management left each part as a totally separate entity under a single corporate umbrella. They are in fact 6 separate companies each with its own management that knows how that part of the company works. Each part of the company has its own union labor agreements as well.
This is the way Sprint should have organized its company. Cellular, Long Distance and Local (Sprint was the local carrier in some markets including Las Vegas) should have been totally separate and managed as separate companies under a single corporate umbrella. This would have allowed management of the wireless unit to run it in a more efficient and customer oriented manner.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

To be honest they have improved in the rankings. They are now in 3rd place in most surveys- behind Verizon and TMobile and ahead of AT&T.
Verizon Leads Wireless Service Rankings, While AT&T Lags - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 PM

302 posts, read 885,213 times
The reason I don't like them is this:

We had our phones for a year. We wanted new phones and to extend our contract/upgrade our plan. They wanted to charge us full retail price for the phones, even though we were extending our contract. To me, that makes no sense. The whole point in paying retail price is to have NO contract.

It shouldn't be cheaper to cancel and resign rather than buy 2 new phones (two lines on our plan).

Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
The reason I don't like them is this:

We had our phones for a year. We wanted new phones and to extend our contract/upgrade our plan. They wanted to charge us full retail price for the phones, even though we were extending our contract. To me, that makes no sense. The whole point in paying retail price is to have NO contract.

It shouldn't be cheaper to cancel and resign rather than buy 2 new phones (two lines on our plan).
In case you did realize all Cell phone companies make you wait until you out or near the end of your contract to upgrade...Sprint isnt the only company to do this...ATT, Verizon TMobile all the same...

Sprint just recently started to allow upgrading every year if you're a premier customers.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
I was previously in the Telecom industry and also had Sprint service previously but i'm considering returning. My main issue was their customer service. When you compare coverage of the big 4 here's the order 1-VZW, 2-Sprint, 3-AT&T, 4-T-Mobile. The first 3 are all in on the 4G system but Sprint was the first to hit the market but now they have to make more phones capable of working on it. The major issue now with them is to put more money into their system. The last few years they have been losing more customers than they have been adding. I'm glad they have been airing the commercials with the all everything plan(talk,text,web). It will make the market more competitve and cheaper for all of us.It brought down VZW and AT&T's unlimited calling $30 each already.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
To be honest they have improved in the rankings. They are now in 3rd place in most surveys- behind Verizon and TMobile and ahead of AT&T.
Verizon Leads Wireless Service Rankings, While AT&T Lags - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
Verizon leads mostly based on coverage and customer service. T-mobile is only on the chart based on cheap price but their coverage nationwide is horrible.Sprint has a good balance of a decent price and good coverage; now if they had good customer service they'd probably be #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones