Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM

163 posts, read 616,784 times

Advertisements

Is that possible?
I just want to be able to connect to WiFi hot spots to get Internet access on the phone. And I do not want to pay for 3G.

Do I have to get a smartphone for this?

There is very limited information on the web on the topic, so I'm hoping for some inspiration here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
I think you'd want a phone that is NOT a smartphone. I just took a look at Verizon's wireless and saw that the LG enV Touch was data capable but the data package was 9.99 a month. Other phones, like flip phones are data capable but the have the small screens.

You're actually looking for mobile web. Some will be wifi capable but you'll have to read the specs to know for sure. WIFI is data (think internet as opposed to voice), so you'll have to get some sort of data package. Smartphone data packages are 30 bucks. Other non-smart data packages are 10 bucks. Regardless, you'll be paying for the voice service as well and texting if you want that.

Compare phones. Look for mobile web. Look at data packages. Notice the differences to discover which phones are going to satisfy your needs. Then go to whichever phone service company you prefer to make your deal. Or go to an online seller such as Wirefly. You might get the same features at a better price.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 AM

163 posts, read 616,784 times
Unfortunately, I like some of the features of the smartphones. Even if it's 10 bucks per month for data, I do not want to pay it as I would be using FREE WiFi hotspots. But I have the feeling that it is impossible to get a smartphone without paying for the data plan.

Here's a question: can you buy an iPhone without 3G (but wifi capable)?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
The only way to OFFICIALLY buy an iphone is to sign up with AT&T for voice and a $30/month data package. You may be able to buy an unlocked iPhone and activate it for voice-only with T-Mobile, but I'm not sure. HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource might be a better place to ask.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Unfortunately, I like some of the features of the smartphones. Even if it's 10 bucks per month for data, I do not want to pay it as I would be using FREE WiFi hotspots. But I have the feeling that it is impossible to get a smartphone without paying for the data plan.

Here's a question: can you buy an iPhone without 3G (but wifi capable)?
It seems like your best bet is to use your regular cell phone for calls and an iPod Touch for all of your WiFi needs. Unfortunately, that means that you'll have to carry two devices.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think it is possible with the T-Mobile Shadow cellphone:
Unsupported Browser
I know someone who got a used T-Mobile Shadow and was able to access the internet without subscribing to a data plan. But I doubt you can purchase this phone new without a data plan.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Blackberry Curve 8320 has built in WiFi, so you can just use it at hotspots without getting a data package. You're obviously not getting the full use out of your phone but it will do exactly what you want it to.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Your best option is an iPod Touch.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 58,026 times
You can use any wi-fi capable phone from t-mobile for wi-fi without the data package as long as a free wi-fi source is available. However, if you want to buy a blackberry phone and use it only with wi-fi and not a data package then you will have to buy one on ebay branded to t-mobile or unlocked from Rogers, Fido or AT&T networks and put your sim card into it. T-mobile now requires 2 years worth of data on all of their wi-fi/data capable phones because too many people were buying them for hot spot use only. They get kickbacks from blackberry if they sell the data packages.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I think you'd want a phone that is NOT a smartphone. I just took a look at Verizon's wireless and saw that the LG enV Touch was data capable but the data package was 9.99 a month. Other phones, like flip phones are data capable but the have the small screens.

You're actually looking for mobile web. Some will be wifi capable but you'll have to read the specs to know for sure. WIFI is data (think internet as opposed to voice), so you'll have to get some sort of data package. Smartphone data packages are 30 bucks. Other non-smart data packages are 10 bucks. Regardless, you'll be paying for the voice service as well and texting if you want that.

Compare phones. Look for mobile web. Look at data packages. Notice the differences to discover which phones are going to satisfy your needs. Then go to whichever phone service company you prefer to make your deal. Or go to an online seller such as Wirefly. You might get the same features at a better price.
This is one of Verizon's new data plans. It is NOT unlimited. If you check out Verizons site you will notice 3 prices for data packages with 29.99 being unlimited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones