Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Loki View Post
What are you a college professor? if so not at my college,and further more if you look at popular internet lingo it does not include a structure of any kind, also i guess you cant come up with anything else to argue my post except that i am using usual internet jargon and structure. search forums for yourself and tell me 9 out of 10 times how the posts look..... especially when a reader is frazzled by the previous posts. had this been an essay, i would have used proper punctuation and structure.
find a new argument or give a valid reply in the future.
thanks and have a wonderful day lol
It only matters if you want people to read your posts anyway.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Loki View Post
What are you a college professor? if so not at my college,and further more if you look at popular internet lingo it does not include a structure of any kind, also i guess you cant come up with anything else to argue my post except that i am using usual internet jargon and structure. search forums for yourself and tell me 9 out of 10 times how the posts look..... especially when a reader is frazzled by the previous posts. had this been an essay, i would have used proper punctuation and structure.
find a new argument or give a valid reply in the future.
thanks and have a wonderful day lol
I'd suggest getting a refund on your colledge education, it's not doing you any good.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:17 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
And what that person wrote is not "popular internet lingo." If it was, the internet would have been shut down a long time ago.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,223 times
kabwis04 your post is excellent!!!
I am disabled after 35+ years employment - I had a major stroke -
the phone is a need - I no longer have the six figure income and must manage every cent. Where I had a cell to gab when I wanted to now I only use it in an emergency to reach and be reached. Remarks like that from southgeorgia are so ignorant...many seniors or disabled find the phone difficult to operate and there are a number of inexpensive phones that are easier for them to operate. Stop blowing your horn thinking its costing you money when the recipient probably paid as much in taxes as you ...

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,214 times
I am in same situation as batemanager. I was making big money had a $175,000 house, nice car. It's all gone waiting on the government for the last 4 years to approve my disability. I had to sell everything just to get by. Living with mom at 54 is not very fun. I had a massive stroke and have epilepsy that is not controlled with medication.

@southgeorgia let us know what you have against government programs, I'm sure everyone would like to know.
And let us know what you would do if you had a accident or even a stroke and would never be able to work again.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM01 View Post
I am in same situation as batemanager. I was making big money had a $175,000 house, nice car. It's all gone waiting on the government for the last 4 years to approve my disability. I had to sell everything just to get by. Living with mom at 54 is not very fun. I had a massive stroke and have epilepsy that is not controlled with medication.

@southgeorgia let us know what you have against government programs, I'm sure everyone would like to know.
And let us know what you would do if you had a accident or even a stroke and would never be able to work again.
These government programs are wasteful spending.

There are plenty of programs for people who need a true 'emergency' phone. They take donated cell phones and hand them out to those that need them; they make 911 calls, as any cell phone will do with or without a service plan. That would be an actual emergency use.

I think we as citizens should be free to donate our money to programs we deem worthy of our philanthropy, rather than the government taking it in the form of taxes and spending it to satisfy special interest groups. This government cell phone program is nothing more than a way for the owners of tracphone to sell more of their product at the expense of the taxpayers.

As for having an accident and not being able to work; that's what disability insurance is for. I pay premiums to an insurance company that will provide me a specific income for the rest of my days. It doesn't matter what happens; if I can no longer perform the duties of my occupation, I'm covered. Its not aflac, and its not cheap, but its peace of mind.

For what its worth, I am sorry for your tragedy, but we have an entirely different viewpoint on this matter.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 14,128 times
Other than the employment issue, there is definitely many understandable uses for this phone. I'm handicapped, currently unemployed, and just ordered one of these phones. I'm not on any other gov't programs, but without the phone I will soon be receiving I'm not able to stay in touch with doctors and physical therapists like I need to. On good days I can manage to walk to a pay phone(if i even have the $), or to the library to use the internet if applicable, but unfortunately my body is just not reliable enough...and it never will be if i can't get to my appointments and get "back on my feet", both literally and figuratively. Really all I want is to have my freedom back, and to be able to take care of and provide for myself. This is going to be a major help. And picking on someones grammar in this situation(NHDave), makes you come off as bigoted and unrefined, and really does nothing but negate your original argument, which wasn't very well formed or informed in the first place. word.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 14,128 times
And really, southgeorgia, your p.o.v. is absolutely ridiculous. Your advice is to already be wealthy enough to be able to afford a premium health insurance? You are out of your mind. If that's really the first thing that comes to mind it's more than obvious that you are not at all in touch with the reality of this situation. I'm not saying that it's not going to be misused like every other gov't program, but the angle you're coming from is truly ignorant. Also, this program isn't anything new, folks. Nothing to do with Obama. It was set in place during the Reagan administration, and hasn't really changed, other than the fact that it's waaaaaay cheaper to hand out cheap cell phones that to provide a free land line like they did in the past. As I said before I've never taken advantage of any other gov't programs, and I see them abused all the time, but without this phone my situation would quickly become tragic. If any of you were in my position you would do the same, at least. You college education, which taught you to bull in the manner you have above(wow, you can form whole sentences. you're still just saying poor=lazy), is not enough to save you from going through something like this. Nothing is. It really can happen to anyone.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,901 times
As for the smart comments about giving "them" video games, etc. I really think your rude.I work hard every day to provide for my young son who has a dad that behaved badly,he is away for awhile.We have struggled and we were on this program for a bit.It came in handy having a phone in the winter when the car broke down and when my child became ill.Think before you speak, just because my son has one parent who was not responsible enough to behave does not make him less deserving of access to doctors,dentists or other persons needed in an emergency.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,656 times
All of you who judge others, do you judge yourselves by the same measure? In other words is : "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones