Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My car has:
DVD player
Radio with mp3, multiple cd, multiple AM/FM, opportunities.
Many Cup holders
Power ports for electronics, including GPS
Map Pockets
Reading lights
HVAC with various controls
Windows that allow operation while I drive
A data center that will let me access current information, MPG, compass, and Lord only knows what else.

I can go to drive-through windows for carry out food, obviously meant for eating in the car.

Passengers are allowed to talk to me.

Where are the specific laws for that crap?
I mean, in my last fender bender, I rear-ended a guy while reaching over to pick up a road map on the seat.
Should maps be therefore disallowed in cars?

Scarmig is right.
I think there is a hysteria in the land amongst the citizenry to forfeit all of our rights, small and large, in any way we can so as to feel warm and cuddly in the embrace of gubmint.

Reckless driving existed a long, long time before cell phones were invented.
You're like...the Poster Child for mass transit . Your last fender-bender???
I've had a DL for 30 years now. I have never had an accident.
"If driving is boring, you're doing it wrong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You're like...the Poster Child for mass transit . Your last fender-bender???
I've had a DL for 30 years now. I have never had an accident.
"If driving is boring, you're doing it wrong".
I have made good use of my driver's license, having racked up several hundred thousand miles over the 40 years I have been driving.

My last fender bender was 6 years ago. At low speed.
The one before that was in 1995.
Over the years, I have also been bumped by a few.
I once slipped off the road in ice.
Then there was that unfortunate time when I was 19 when a little beer and pea soup fog and lack of sleep mixed and I did $600 damage to the underside of a $500 car.
I have hit deer. Well, I've had them go all kamikaze into me.
Many years ago I did radically stupid things and feel lucky to be alive.

I have received 5 speeding tickets.
The last one was in 1998.

Not a single one of these incidents occurred with a cell phone in use.

It is clear that from a safety standpoint the law should require me to ALWAYS be on the phone when driving.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
I have made good use of my driver's license, having racked up several hundred thousand miles over the 40 years I have been driving.

My last fender bender was 6 years ago. At low speed.
The one before that was in 1995.
Over the years, I have also been bumped by a few.
I once slipped off the road in ice.
Then there was that unfortunate time when I was 19 when a little beer and pea soup fog and lack of sleep mixed and I did $600 damage to the underside of a $500 car.
I have hit deer. Well, I've had them go all kamikaze into me.
Many years ago I did radically stupid things and feel lucky to be alive.

I have received 5 speeding tickets.
The last one was in 1998.

Not a single one of these incidents occurred with a cell phone in use.

It is clear that from a safety standpoint the law should require me to ALWAYS be on the phone when driving.
Either humor or justification I'm not sure which?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Either humor or justification I'm not sure which?
You are almost always allowed to smile.
Avoid people who would tell you otherwise. They will suck all light and joy out of your worldly existence.

The post is factual. I have had those incidents, and do not deny them.
Nor do I take them lightly. Mentioning them is not indicative of taking them lightly.
And, I have been rear-ended more than I have hit others.
And the people who hit me did not have cell phones.

The deer that jumped off the bank into my car did not have a cell phone.
Nor did the one on I-80 in PA.
I hit a duck one spring day, and it didn't have one either.

Regardless, I firmly believe we have a growing national hysteria wherein people are eager to cede all responsibility and liberty to gubmint for a worthless sense that "at least someone cares enough to tell me how to live."

Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Regardless, I firmly believe we have a growing national hysteria wherein people are eager to cede all responsibility and liberty to gubmint for a worthless sense that "at least someone cares enough to tell me how to live."
I agree with this proviso.......Gov't regulation is needed due to technology out stripping the human races ability to understand and use it in a safe correct manner all the time.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I agree with this proviso.......Gov't regulation is needed due to technology out stripping the human races ability to understand and use it in a safe correct manner all the time.
Under that guise, it would be obvious that Gubmint should take:

Our cars.
Cutlery
Sharp Sticks
Stones
Scissors
Computers
Cold remedies
Land line telephony
Pencils (See "Sharp Sticks")
All sources of ignition and flame
Hot water
The Internet
Any surgical procedure
Fermentation
And any other technology that the human race has demonstrated an inability "...to understand and use in a safe correct manner all the time. "

Yep. Cocoon me and keep me safe.

The idea of surrendering control over every detail of life for a facade of unattainable safety started long before cell phones.
It just gets more picayune all the time.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
So, people are incapable of using technology in a safe and correct manner all the time, except for politicians who have the knowledge, experience, wisdom and foresight to universally declare the absolute safe behavior for all people everywhere, without exception, and their will should be enforced by any and all means necessary, including violence.

Did I get it right?

I'm fine with guidelines, recommended safe practices, even with letting insurance companies raise rates on people with cell phones to accommodate for the increased accident rates (if there are any), but mandates and edicts and laws is just going too far. This is America. If you aren't Free and Brave, you're doing it wrong.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Did I get it right?
I'm fine with guidelines, recommended safe practices, even with letting insurance companies raise rates on people with cell phones to accommodate for the increased accident rates (if there are any), but mandates and edicts and laws is just going too far. This is America. If you aren't Free and Brave, you're doing it wrong.

So are you for repelling drunk driving laws as well?

The problem, as I see it, is the huge sense of entitlement we have in our society. "I'm entitled to drive my car, dammit, and shave and talk on the phone and text and......if I kill a couple of schoolkids on the way, hey, I'll just pay a bigger insurance premium. It's only money."

We seem to have forgotten that operating a motor vehicle is a privilege and a huge responsibility.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
So are you for repelling drunk driving laws as well?
Yes, that would be consistent with the principle. However, the punishments for killing someone with your car should still be enforced. Do you see the difference? One allows people the freedom to be responsible, the other punishes them for failing.

Yes, I know, I'm a heartless bastard because that would mean the only drunk drivers prosecuted would be the ones who actually hurt someone.

Wait... isn't that the point of punishing crime though? To punish people who actually hurt other people or damage their property? A long time ago someone crossed the line from punishment for action into punishment for potential action. Well, you have the potential to spill that coffee on your lap while driving, so why don't you support laws against driving while cafe'd? You have the potential to spread the flu when you go to Target while sniffly, so do you support laws against people with the the sniffles going out in public?

At some point people have to realize a fundamental fact; living around other people is dangerous. If we respect the ideas of freedom and responsibility, we have to accept that sometimes the people we live around are going to be dangerous to us, they are going to present a risk, and it is my responsibility to secure myself as best as I can.

Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is the huge sense of entitlement we have in our society. "I'm entitled to drive my car, dammit, and shave and talk on the phone and text and......if I kill a couple of schoolkids on the way, hey, I'll just pay a bigger insurance premium. It's only money."

We seem to have forgotten that operating a motor vehicle is a privilege and a huge responsibility.
The problem I see is that so many people are willing to trade in their freedoms *and* their responsibilities for hollow promises of security.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
so why don't you support laws against driving while cafe'd?
Actually, I am a fan of "driving while distracted" laws. Which would, yes, be enforced whenever a driver causes harm or injury while operating a motor-vehicle, whatever the reason.

I think if one doesn't want to accept the responsibility of driving, one should leave the car at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones