Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 PM

64 posts, read 191,549 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting the US this summer and would like to have a prepaid phonecard enabling to be contacted from my friends in Europe as well as being able to make some calls in the US (Hotel reservations, friends in the area, ....)
I've tried to figure out AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin,... but their conditions aren't clear to me.
So I would appreciate your personal experience and propositions.

Thx, Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
I used to have VirginMobile... they lease time from Sprint, a CDMA carrier, very reliable. With VM you can buy a phone and then sign up for a plan. On a 'pay as you go' you can choose to pay by the minute, no contract required. You can use for the 2 or 3 weeks you're in the U.S. then cancel the service and throw the phone away, or bronze or whatever...

20cents (100 cents to a US dollar) a minute US or a monthly minutes package. With the minutes package I see they have 200 anytime minutes for $20US or 400 anytime for $30US. Anytime minutes are anytime day/night... as opposed to some packages offer 'no charge' minutes after 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. On their website they have some fairly inexpensive phones, some more costly - depends on what you want or need. You can get texting for $5 a month extra for 200 messages... or more messages for a few bucks more.

You can browse websites like Walmart.com or bestbuy.com to see what sort of pricing they have for the same phones. You can purchase from VM and have the phone shipped or Walmart or Best Buy and have the phone shipped or buy when you get here since you'd need to be in the U.S. for activation any way. Activation is simple, quick, easy, but need a credit card for payment.

There are two types of wireless in the U.S., being CDMA and GSM. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA (includes VirginMobile maybe other small carriers leasing time). ATT, T-Mobile and I don't know what others are GSM.

CDMA is code division multiple access.
GSM is Global system for mobile telecommunication .
For your use you probly shouldn't have a preference. Both cover the populated U.S. about equally for basic phone/texting coverage. The 3G competition between Verizon and ATT really are just about high speed data coverage. Regardless of the cellular company, if you travel outside of the basic coverage area (see their colorful maps) you will be roaming and your price per minute will skyrocket regardless of time of day or night. Roaming is out of area and the coverage is by some not named local cellular carrier.

Last edited by WillysB; 02-20-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 AM

64 posts, read 191,549 times
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I'll check the different sites for their prices and conditions.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
It's not a phone "card", but a phone.....

Net10 has a LG300 tiny pocket phone on sale in many places for $29.95. They charge 10-cents a minute for domestic calls and you automatically get 300 minutes with the phone (so essentially, the phone itself is free). You can call somewhere between 50-60 International locations for only 5-cents a minute more, so for 15-cents a minute, can call tons of the more popular destinations.

Their International page: NET10 Wireless - Pay As You Go Made Simple
The main site: NET10 | Prepaid Cell Phone

This phone is commonly found at places here like Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, and some Wal-mart locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones