U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 AM

8,162 posts, read 13,782,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
T Mobile does not even come close right NOW to ATT in network capacity which is the most important thing in how good a phone will perform. That is about to change however because T Mobile is doing a massive upgrade adding many more towers (often towers they own as opposed to renting space on) and they replacing their copper based T-1 transport with a new fiber transport with a Ciena 3911 delivery switch which will carry up to 1000mps- about 100 times the data they carry now. In a few years, I predict that T Mobile will be the 2nd best network in the country- only behind Verizon but at much less cost.
T-Mobile will have its work cut out for them. To catch up to AT&T wont be that hard but to be #2, they'd have to jump over Sprint which will take a LONG time. Sprint is about twice as big as AT&T with their own towers so that will be some feat and Sprint has been expanding with their 4G. So thinking that T-Mobile will be #2 in a few years, I find it highly unlikely unless Sprint goes out of business or is acquired by Verizon Wireless otherwise it will take them MANY years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM

10,171 posts, read 13,802,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
T-Mobile will have its work cut out for them. To catch up to AT&T wont be that hard but to be #2, they'd have to jump over Sprint which will take a LONG time. Sprint is about twice as big as AT&T with their own towers so that will be some feat and Sprint has been expanding with their 4G. So thinking that T-Mobile will be #2 in a few years, I find it highly unlikely unless Sprint goes out of business or is acquired by Verizon Wireless otherwise it will take them MANY years.
AT&T is still number two, and barely behind verizon here are the offical numbers. You can find these online.

Verizon: 86,000,000
AT&T: 82,000,000
Sprint: 53,000,000
T-Mobile: 24,000,000

I rounded down to the last million.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 AM

8,162 posts, read 13,782,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
AT&T is still number two, and barely behind verizon here are the offical numbers. You can find these online.

You need to re-read the post that I responded to. It was based on network capacity which relates alot to towers owned by the provider. Based on their own coverage and NOT negotiated roaming contracts, Verizon is #1 (about 3 times as big as AT&T), then Sprint (about 2x as large as AT&T), T-Mobile by far is the smallest. If the IPhone were added to T-Mobile and based on their current rates, they would have alot of new customers but their data network would have an even harder time supporting it than AT&T is having now. They have been very slow with previous expansion. When you roam off your network you lose some functions especially when it comes to data.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM

10,171 posts, read 13,802,371 times
I'm reviving this old thread instead of making a new thread for the latest news:
Verizon iPhone, $99 Apple TV and other no-shows - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2442 - broken link)

I think for the near future, it's safe to say this rumor was false about Verizon getting the phone this year at least or in the near term. Maybe in the long term it can.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM

436 posts, read 816,220 times
I don't think it will ever happen, they teas it every year, but if they did they would charge a small fortune for the data plan, just because they can.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,240,825 times
I feel it'll eventually come to other carriers but I'm tired of the waiting game.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 PM

I gave up. I'm looking at a Black Berry, the battery life is longer any way.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM

316 posts, read 727,734 times
Quote:

Q1 2010 AT&T 533k new post paid ads down over 600k from Q4
Q1 2010 VZw - 423k new post paid ads

95% of the U.S. population under 15 currently has cell phones

Going forward it's only going to be about Smartphone Growth & data revenues for the carriers -
AT&T 15m iPhones sold thru the channels since June 2007.

Both VZw and AT&T average between 8 - 9 million total devices sold through
the channels each quarter , net ads enterprise, retail, indirect, best buy, radio shack, wal-mart etc- With RIM, Android and Apple, both ATT and VZw are now averaging 45% smartphone market share - that's 4m each QTR!

CDMA iPhone will launch Jan 2011 with VZ- AT&T spends 18 billion per year in Capex, 43% goes towards building out there wireless network architecture (their crappy 3G HSPA+ network) VZw is well ahead of T in network buildout but each companies yearly budget for Capex is roughly the same.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 AM

316 posts, read 727,734 times
Quote:
T-Mobile by far is the smallest. If the IPhone were added to T-Mobile and based on their current rates, they would have alot of new customers but their data network would have an even harder time supporting it than AT&T is having now. They have been very slow with previous expansion
When T-Mo decides to become relevant again, and finally get the iPhone, next calendar year - AAPL will allocate approx 1/3 of the devices they sell into AT&T - per qtr -so approx 800k iPhones per qtr as opposed to 2.5-2.7m with ATT - As you mentioned there current network infrastructure doesn't have the capacity to handle all the data running over their network - it is getting better but still weak in most of the major markets - even compared to ATT wherethe majority of iPhones are sold through 5 major markets - NYC- SF- Chicago - L.A - Boston - - I heard T-Mo's CEO Robert Dotson is stepping down which is probably a good move for the CO, he feel in love with MY FAVS...while ATT was launching the iPhone & VZ was selling 3m Blackberries per QTR and did nothing but launch the my touch

Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM

By the time Verizon gets the i phone, it won't be a big deal anymore as something way better will be out, the competition is catching to the i phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones