Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM

86 posts, read 189,880 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any experience with these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,764,073 times
Yes; what would you like to know specifically?

You need to make sure the unlocked phone can work with your service (so their SIM card must fit). For example, if you have Sprint, you will not be able to use an unlocked cell phone with their service.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 12,854 times
Yes, I have experince with unlocked phones. I needed one when I was traveling from USA to Europe, as my US phone had a different network configuration. I rented one from Callineurope.com to be able to insert a European Sim card.
For me the best bet was to rent it, cause I simply do not need it in US.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:11 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,227,932 times
I got an unlocked treo 600 on Ebay. I used it for a couple of years with Cingular. After I got a new one, I gave it to a friend of mine who has T-Mobile. Her sim fit, too.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:15 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,209,506 times
Verizon and Sprint phones do not use SIMs and are not 'unlocked'. Those phones can be used only with Verizon and Sprint. Virgin Mobile rides on the Sprint network, therein, those phone do not unlock either.

The others, AT&T, others that do use SIMs can be unlocked. Service provides are not keen to give you unlock codes since you can then carry your service to a different provider, needing only their SIM for your phone. If you 'own' your equipment, purchased yourself for your own purposes then it can typically be unlocked. If you give a phone to someone so that it is no longer in service a provider may be willing to give you unlock codes. AT&T wants you to use their 'international' service so they are not real willing to give you unlock codes for your international travels.

There are places you can pursue unlock codes such as Howard Forums. There are links there for the purpose and you need to pursue those links. HF doesn't want you posting asking for unlock codes. Or you can just google 'unlock codes' and do research yourself. Most places want money for those codes.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM

526 posts, read 1,055,241 times
just got rid of my unlocked razr v3, used it on T-mobile, then AT&T.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,851 times
I am going to South America, I need to unlock my cell phone

Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,851 times
Default I need to unlock my cell phone

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boying 747 View Post
Your service provider may provide you with an unlock code for free if you're traveling out of the country.

Verizon will for "world phones", but you need to already have the SIM card of the provider you'll be using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB
Verizon and Sprint phones do not use SIMs and are not 'unlocked'. Those phones can be used only with Verizon and Sprint
I realize this an old post, but I'll provide an update for those reading it today.

If you have a verizon "world capable" phone, it will accept a SIM card and Verizon will provide you with the code if you're traveling overseas.

Once the phone is unlocked, it can be used on AT&T or T-Mobile in the US. On my blackberry, you can manually select between CDMA and GSM bands. My tour won't do 3G on GSM, but I believe the bb storm will. Not 100% sure on that so double check if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,015 times
I havea blackberrystorm 2 i need a code to unlock that phone do anyone have one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones